Battery questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
How many years are you getting out of a new battery in a V-Max?

What brands of battery have you found the most durable and lasts the longest? Cost and place of purchase too.

Thanks.

I was lucky to get 4 years out of a stock Yuasa. I have a Odyssey PC680 and it's still going strong after 7 or 8 years. I paid $90 for but think they are in the $110-$130 range now.

as far as i know, the stocker is the original from 2003..

just needed a good charge when i bought it in october and has been good since..

Hardly any "Wet" battery is going to give you more than 3 years under the best of care, although there are exceptions.

I've been through dozens of Yuasa batteries over the years in M/C's and Jetski's and rarely got even 3 years out of them.

There are better grade Yuasa's out there that last longer and I'm not reffering to those.

An Odyssey PC-680 is worth every penny in my opinion, it's a badass battery and will last twice as long.

As big a pain in the ass as it is to even SERVICE a wet battery in the Vmax, considering where it's mounted and how it's buried under all that crap, an AGM battery makes a lot of sense even if it didn't last longer because you don't have to service it.

Rusty

I personally like the Yuasa Battery and had great results. Last one I got lil over 4 yrs out of it.. I bought a pansonic which I hated and removed it and put my old Yuasa back in after a slow battery tender charge and used it the rest of the 08 season. Going back to Yuasa this year again..

Batteries last as well as you maintain them. I keep my battery on a battery tender that is a low amp float charger this will increase the battery life.

I personally like the Yuasa Battery and had great results. Last one I got lil over 4 yrs out of it.. I bought a pansonic which I hated and removed it and put my old Yuasa back in after a slow battery tender charge and used it the rest of the 08 season. Going back to Yuasa this year again..

Batteries last as well as you maintain them. I keep my battery on a battery tender that is a low amp float charger this will increase the battery life.

I will agree that a "well maintained" battery will probably last at least 4 years if the water is maintained properly and it's ridden often or kept on a float charger. Here in Texas it's pretty much year round riding so charging isn't a problem.

It's maintaining that's a pain in the ass, and causes short battery life on the Max since it's such a freaking pain in the butt to even get to it to add water, and ends up being neglected. I'm pretty anal about maintainence and still neglected the wet batteries when I had them.

I agree with you on the water part Rusty great point.
It is a pain in ass to get to the water and I have a bunch of crap running over the top of the battery.. takes me about 15 minutes to remove the battery..
Sealed Gel Cells are great batteries for not worrying about used to run em in the ol dragbike..

Believe it or not

I bought my max new in 99, my stock battery lasted me until 2005 without maintenance.

i live in minnesota, bike sits for 7 months during winter, lived in an apartment with no power in the garage, so i never put on a tender, just checked water levels, and a quick charge at the begining of the season.

I bought a NAPA equivalent to the yuasa, it was shit after the first year.

I now run a Odyssey on my 1500cc for two years and no problems.

Back