Best upgrade to be done first?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimobr

Reaction score
I bought a 96 that was parked at a time. The first part, walk and do basic maintenance has been done. Now I ask, what is the best upgrade to be done first? suspension? Dynojet? brake system? every opinion is valid and will take into consideration. Thanks!

How do you like the seat? If the seat sucks it's no fun to ride.
Suspention and brakes. Radial tires. Jet kits are down the road after full exhaust. IMHO.
Steve-o

I am gonna vote for getting another rear wheel which will allow you to install a radial tire as you can use the stock front wheel for a 110/18" tire.

Radials will make the biggest difference in handling, but it is an expensive mod. Search under radial in the advanced search function and do some reading.

If you are going to keep the stock calipers, and you haven't yet replaced the pads, get some HH rated pads as this will increase your braking response and you can brake w/more confidence. Cheap and effective.

Most people start with the seat. Sean Morley offers a cut down version, or you can get a Maxgasser for the ultimate in comfort. Brakes and suspension are usually next, as stated above HH pads for the brakes and progressive springs with ricor intiminators or progresssive emulators for the forks. Then its on to an aftermarket full exhaust or just a slip on pipe, with adjusting float heights and jetting the carbs. And if your still feeling frisky, you can continue with aftermarket rims and radial tires! The mods are endless and once you start, the mod monkey will never let you stop. Good luck and post some pics!

You may want to give an idea of the budget you have in mind and what your end goal is. We sell most everything you'd ever want/need from costmetic stuff like paint/chrome, to comfort like seats, to handling like wheels and suspension. Even exhaust and jet kits as well as bigger engines.

The biggest changes would be felt with chassis stuff though most start small with a seat just so you can tolerate the ride.

A picture of the bike would be great so we can see what if anything may have already been done.

Sean

Front fork mods if you can get along with the seat for a while. Handling and comfort first, then the extra HP. Lowering the front forks along with the other suggestions will make a huge difference. Be sure your neck bearings are in good shape and propery adjusted. Could save your life at high speed.

Would go with handling and braking mods first and agree with Mr Ops - Racetech springs and Gold Emulators first.

Then:

Blue spot callipers and a m.cylinder with a 13 mm diameter piston.

Rear shocks

Frame braces or solid mounts

17" wheels.

You will now have a machine that can go around corners and will cope with most situations.

If you want to keep the motor stock but perhaps want a little more go then just go for one of Sean's jet kits and an exhaust.
Be aware that if you want large horsepower gains it will cost a lot of dosh!

Alternatively if it is cosmetic changes you desire then look at as many pics of the modified bikes on the site and decide what it is that floats your boat.

Get the basics in line. Brakes, tires, fluids, bearings, battery, charging system.

Seat mods. I couldn't ride without it. If the budget is tight, just get the drivers section redone. Sissybar if you plan to have a passenger

Fork springs. Forget the emulators or intiminators if the budget is tight. New springs make a HUGE difference. Best bang for you buck mod out there!

Exhaust. Just because it makes the bike sound sooo much better. The extra few HP are a bonus. A jet kit can come later if you want. You can get by with some needle shims and maybe a set of 150 mains to keep costs down. Either way you look at it, exhaust is expensive.

If you're going to do the exhaust, I would recommend removing the oil pan and checking the orange o ring. Just a peace of mind thing. I like the "pop stopper" kit from Cycle One Off. It will keep the o-ring in place. I didn't like the idea of using RTV to secure the disc so I just dobbed some grease on there and it held it in place till the pan was bolted up. An HD oiling kit from Morleys Muscle is another option. I used the two kits together. Don't think it was really needed but, I have no worries in the oiling dept now.

I hated the OEM mirrors, turn signals, and tail lights. I feel they make the bike look dated. There are a lot of options out there.

Radials do help tremendously as does a braced swingarm. Unless you have fab skills its hard to get these parts cheap.

+1 Mike, I've got to add the rear brake/running light to my list. That thing is Ugly, my next project to be done very soon is an integrated unit. Lot's of threads on how to do it. Thanks to Bob for the nice smoked LED set-up.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Taking into consideration the information and tips of all, let me start by hanging. The roads are terrible in Brazil and I think it will make a big difference. The seat, does not bother me for now, I need to run more with it to see if it will be a problem.

I love the classic look and want to keep it. I saw some pictures and read some threads where they are using R1 forks and radial wheels, forks interest me, but I want to keep the original wheels, speedometer, headlight, etc.. The brake system of the R1 is also welcome.

Sean (one2dmax), can you help me with this? please, if possible, send me a PM with what you have available and price.

Here is a photo of how it is now:
291697_446986435336900_1257330678_n.jpg

New paint, chrome and polishing will be applied, but not now.

No picture came through. PM's are a premium here and my inbox fills very quickly. I'd suggest checking out the facebook albums and emailing me directly. [email protected]

I can say that the best bang for the buck will be the wheels first then inverted forks later if you decide you even need them.

Sean

No picture came through. PM's are a premium here and my inbox fills very quickly. I'd suggest checking out the facebook albums and emailing me directly. [email protected]

I can say that the best bang for the buck will be the wheels first then inverted forks later if you decide you even need them.

Sean

Email Sent! thanks for the feedback.

Reading threads like this make me feel somewhat like an old fuddy duddy. I took possession of my 1985 Vmax back in March of 1985, and to date, have not felt the need to 'update' anything on it besides putting in the larger battery, and a new version of the voltage regulator/rectifier.

Is there something wrong with me????...........never mind.....don't answer that.

Reading threads like this make me feel somewhat like an old fuddy duddy. I took possession of my 1985 Vmax back in March of 1985, and to date, have not felt the need to 'update' anything on it besides putting in the larger battery, and a new version of the voltage regulator/rectifier.

Is there something wrong with me????...........never mind.....don't answer that.

Can't say the same about your Gen2 though, can you?

For the new guys, and the Older ones too http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=86 just say'in. I ve been cut back to three days a week at my real job so I have some time. VERY BIG differance in comfort , and for you GEN II guys,the MAXRELAXERS work very,very well.One guy in Georgia bought a set and did 900 miles,yes 900 miles in one day,told me he could'nt have done it with out them!

Richard,
I did just under 900 miles yesterday from north of atlanta to the fl keys. Never could have done it without them! I went over 60 miles one time without touching the handle bars. Just leaning back against my duffel bag, feet up and relaxing enjoying the weather....mid 60s and then 70s in s fla. Only little patches of rain when I started out. It was 52 when I left at 1030. I will pay when get home. Tha ks. I will def recommend.
David

Can't say the same about your Gen2 though, can you?

Nope. Guess I can't - since I got rid of all the fugly brown body parts and had Sean take care of putting some real color onto the skins. All the other mods were done by one of the previous owners though. Had I bought it new, It'd most likely still be stock (give or take the paint & mirrors). For that matter, the black paint on the 09's was prolly the single biggest factor in my not putting money down at the time. I'm having custom length mirror stems made up at a local machine shop to fix the OEM's rearview angle hitting me mid-shoulder. I guess the mod monkey owns me on the 09 now. Crap. :bang head:

I'm new to "vmax world", most want to have a great machine under my control, but without spoiling the look of the original, which I am passionate. I deeply respect the nostalgic, and has nothing more beautiful than such a machine in its original pristine condition, but much has changed since the launch of the first generation, and I want to enjoy as much as possible in an appropriate manner.

All my previous bikes were big trails should imagine the difference that I'm feeling when driving with the v-max ...

I would Definitely put in Progressive or RateTech Fork Springs and possibly some Progressive Rear Shocks.

Next time you go to the FL Keys, stop in and do some deep-sea fishing w/my friend's son, who is the skipper of this vessel. Check-out his site:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DIRTY-BOAT/144353162307748

You can do a split charter which will more than cut the cost in half. Contact Captain Joey thru facebook.
284520_363210567088672_1601610056_n.jpg

A ride thru the FL Keys on a pleasant day is hard to beat, anywhere! With the Atlantic Ocean on your left and the Gulf of Mexico on your right, if you've never been, you will wonder why it took you so-long to get there. :punk: Be sure to go thru the pics on the facebook site.

For the new guys, and the Older ones too http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=86 just say'in. I ve been cut back to three days a week at my real job so I have some time. VERY BIG differance in comfort , and for you GEN II guys,the MAXRELAXERS work very,very well.One guy in Georgia bought a set and did 900 miles,yes 900 miles in one day,told me he could'nt have done it with out them!

Richard,
I did just under 900 miles yesterday from north of atlanta to the fl keys. Never could have done it without them! I went over 60 miles one time without touching the handle bars. Just leaning back against my duffel bag, feet up and relaxing enjoying the weather....mid 60s and then 70s in s fla. Only little patches of rain when I started out. It was 52 when I left at 1030. I will pay when get home. Tha ks. I will def recommend.
David

Back