broken vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old fool

Reaction score
My 1988 vmax threw a rod bearing. I called a shop in town and they told me no one makes an undersized bearing, anyone know if this is true. I also would like to know of a place for used engine parts. Any help would be appreciated .

My 1988 vmax threw a rod bearing. I called a shop in town and they told me no one makes an undersized bearing, anyone know if this is true. I also would like to know of a place for used engine parts. Any help would be appreciated .
Try Penwall salvage on eBay.They have an endless supply of Vmax parts.:biglaugh:

I have been searching ebay for several day found one crankshaft with what looks like a burned journal.

Get in touch with Sean Morley.
Dave

+1

pinwall sometimes has used vmax motors on ebay.

Im no expert but when those guys chime in im pretty sure they will tell you the block will have damage on the thrust surface which can be repaired but its not worth the money. Same thing with the crank.

Pinwall Is good source of engines and a decent price. I also have some good running engines with bad 2nd gear I am in the process of repairing although will probably not be much better deal than pinwall except will be checked out really good.

I do have used engines as well as used parts. We can repair the crank or replace it. The biggest thing to look for is a damaged thrust journal which we can repair but it's normally not worth the cost unless you've got a lot of money already tied up in the block.

Sean

Hi everybody , it was the rod bearing, so I am confused about the thrust Journal. I check the engine very carefully and see no main bearing problems. What are calling a thrust journal I have not heard that term. What happened was one of the rod nuts came off and the rod bearing was ruined , the bike ran for a long time before it stopped running, the nut was completely destroyed. Sean , if you are the one mentioned above you seam to be the go to for information. Are there different size rod bearings for the vmax and if so what are the different size's , so I can find a machinist here to see if my crank can be turn or if it is too far gone.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Troy

The crank can not be turned. It would need to be welded up, recut, and then straightened. We can have that done with our account at Falicon. BUT, that may or may not be your best route (still cheaper then a new crank though).

The thrust journals keep the crank properly located within the block. Most manufacturers use a bearing in this surface. BUT, Yamaha was nice enough to simply machine this in the upper case of most their engines. So, when that surface is damaged then you either get to get a new block ($1800+) or we can fix it with some special machining. BUT, I normally suggest a replacement engine (and many opt for our 1300 conversion).

I've attached a picture of the area (one of them) and it even shows an extra oiling hole we add when we build these engines.

Yes, I am the Sean they are talking about.

Attachments

• 2011-03-24_18-20-35_223.jpg
    2011-03-24_18-20-35_223.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the picture , it is night time here right now and I have no electricity in my work house but I will look more closely tomorrow. But I don't think I have any problem there.

Thanks again Troy

Here's what a damaged one off a 2006 engine looks like. Both sides are actually damaged though only one rod bearing was spun. The crank has to be completely removed to inspect this area.

Attachments

• 20111116212159.jpg
    20111116212159.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
Here's what a damaged one off a 2006 engine looks like. Both sides are actually damaged though only one rod bearing was spun. The crank has to be completely removed to inspect this area.

So, no chances of being able to machine the thrust surface of the block off and having a company make a custom bearing that has a return lip on it that can be used as a thrust surface as seen in other engines?

Seems like this would save a lot of blocks :confused2:

We do offer machining up the blocks and a screw on bearing surface. You can't have a lip design since it would interfere with the main bearing. BUT, that's more expensive to do and we only usually bother on engines that had other work done already.

I can sell you a good 1300 core with good crank and block for less then the price of a new crank.

Sean

Sean, you were right the thrust surface i bad. So (sigh) I imagine I won't be putting it back together as the cost is simply not worth it in shape the rest of the bike is in. Probably part out, see how home sick I get.

Thanks for your help and the offer, Troy

I have good used engines and can give you some trade in credit for yours (we'd use the heads/cams/trans and misc.

Sean

I've got a line on a 1300 venture engine with 26K miles on it. There might be some top end issues but I believe the bottom end is good. If you, or anyone else has an interest in it let me know and I can dig more.

Sean how much money are we talking and how much in shipping, I live in Tucson AZ.

Troy

Hi Mike , I assume that the ventura engine is the same as the vmax. Also what might be wrong with the top end.

Troy

Hi Mike , I assume that the ventura engine is the same as the vmax. Also what might be wrong with the top end.

Troy

I don't know much about the motor. Just seems that it might be a decent deal but have some top end issues. If you would like to discuss it further shoot me a PM or email.. My user name is my email address.

So, no chances of being able to machine the thrust surface of the block off and having a company make a custom bearing that has a return lip on it that can be used as a thrust surface as seen in other engines?

Seems like this would save a lot of blocks :confused2:

I have seen similar work done before, but not on a Vmax.
Usually it is done to save an expensive engine. An exotic, or high spec race engine. I think manufacturers like Cosworth even make oversize thrust washers for the job.

It would really only be worth it if you could do the machining yourself.

Time for a 1300!! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back