COPs and Tboost?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope. right now the R1 Cops are having problems. a few guys have said tboost keeps working fine. honestly ur best bet is to probably make a switch like i did. just put it inline the black OEM cable on that 3 wire cable. when it test cycles turn the power off when its full open, now u have it always open and can go back to stock or turn it off on the fly (but not keep it full open on the fly unless you are able to turn the power off above 8k rpm)

nope. right now the R1 Cops are having problems. a few guys have said tboost keeps working fine. honestly ur best bet is to probably make a switch like i did. just put it inline the black OEM cable on that 3 wire cable. when it test cycles turn the power off when its full open, now u have it always open and can go back to stock or turn it off on the fly (but not keep it full open on the fly unless you are able to turn the power off above 8k rpm)

I as well had the same problem....went back to stock coils and it worked again.
went with the switch like you said....love it that way!
being fully open tho with everything else stock, should I go with different needles to lean it back out????
if so, price range for needles.
OR.....do you think I can lean it out by turning the fuel/air screw out some?

depends on where you are rich/cruise low RPMs or cruise high RPMs or mid throttle mid-rpms....

i'm not a carb expert, but if it was me, u can't lean the needles anymore than stock and ur looking at like $60 a set probably. so the cheapest would be the a/f screws, but u want them IN to go leaner, not out. and i suck at tuning with them so its up to u. i'd also ask a carb guru.

Hello i have been reading this forum for a while now and i think i might have a solution to the COP's - Tboost problem.
I am dutch so i will try in my best english.
I think the problem is that the COPS have less ohm resistance then the stock setup.
That means that because of the increased current there is a voltage drop wich causes the signal to be too small to be picked up by the Vboost sensor.
In order to decrease the voltage drop You could try to run a proper live wire from the battery to the COP's instead of the existing live wire.
Unfortunately i am not (yet) in the position to try this for myself so my solution is only theoretical.

interesting. stock still works tho, so ur saying where the tboost splices in isn't getting as much voltage?

That is interesting. Since I am going to do a whole harness transplant, I may try experimenting a little. I was going to put piggyback connectors on both wires of my #4 coil so I can swap the Tboost wire at will and see if I can make it work.

I may even fit the original coils back on to see what happens, I really would like to get to the root of this problem..

interesting. stock still works tho, so ur saying where the tboost splices in isn't getting as much voltage?

Sorry, could u please rephrase that in such a way that a dumb dutchie like me could understand that?
I'm not being sarcastic but im not sure i understand what you're saying.

The way i see it there are several things causing a voltage drop:
First being the lower resistance of the COPS wich causes increased current blablabla (ive explained that in my previous message)
Second is the use of diode's...every diode has a forward voltage.

I think it is the combination of both that is the killer.

I am working on a setup that doesnt suffer from the voltage drop from the diodes but unfortunately my time is limited.

First being the lower resistance of the COPS wich causes increased current blablabla (ive explained that in my previous message)

What do you mean by the use of diodes? Which diodes? Would these be in the TCI unit?

Sorry, could u please rephrase that in such a way that a dumb dutchie like me could understand that?
I'm not being sarcastic but im not sure i understand what you're saying.
Somethimes Garret may be hard to understand for peopels with bad english. No offence Garret, obvioulsy its not your fault :)

I am working on a setup that doesnt suffer from the voltage drop from the diodes but unfortunately my time is limited.
I dont think that diode voltage drop may cause that problem.

IMO you should try to connect t-boost to not cylinder 1 and 3, but to 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

Also you may try to change resistor value, try to install potentiometer there. Try diffrent values and see what happen.

sorry guys. i use the least amount of words as i can usually, just the way i type/speak. never a problem asking me to rephrase.

i think we're on the right track, but i don't have enough time to play with it right now unfortunately.

sorry guys. i use the least amount of words as i can usually, just the way i type/speak. never a problem asking me to rephrase.

i think we're on the right track, but i don't have enough time to play with it right now unfortunately.
You dont have to sorry, you're just yourself and keep it up.

Its in our(me and the others) bisness to lern it.
No offence taken and no offence given.

I just need to remember some of your words :D

I have a few questions, one all that are having problems with there Vboost / t-boost are you running the COP's straight without any resistor at all? If you are the resistance could very well be the issue. The harnesses that I have been making all have a resistor inline to mimic the stock coils resistance. I know that a few on the forum had warned of their experiences when running COP's without the resistor. Perhaps that if you are running without a resistor that it is putting enough stress on your ignition that your aftermarket boost system is not picking up the signal because now your ignition is stressed. Just a thought.
Gannon

as far as i know, no one having the problems had resistors, altho that sure as hell would make sense.

I would be willing to send a loaner set of harnesses out to see if it fixes the issue.
Gannon

Damn I wish I was home so I could try - always pissed me off that the T-boost never worked and I did put it on after COPs.

Off and 6k work fine, but the 3k mode made the butterflies open at 9k (?!?)

FWIW I'm going to take a swag at the tboost issue and say that it may be that the cops, due to their lower resistance, are drawing a lot more current than the oem coils and therefore the lowest voltage that is developed at the TCI box is higher due to the internal resistance of the switching circuits of the TCI. This in turn doesn't play well with the v-boost module because it's not seeing a low enough voltage to interpret the ignition pulses correctly. At 9k rpm it may be that the inductance of the cops is sufficient to momentarily not allow full current through the cops and therefore allow the TCI switching circuits to achieve a lower voltage that finally excites the vboost module. If the forgoing is correct then an inline resistor for the cops will help the tboost operate correctly again.

Last edited:
FSIW I'm going to take a swag at the tboost issue and say that it may be that the cops, due to their lower resistance, are drawing a lot more current than the oem coils and therefore the lowest voltage that is developed at the TCI box is higher due to the internal resistance of the switching circuits of the TCI. This in turn doesn't play well with the v-boost module because it's not seeing a low enough voltage to interpret the ignition pulses correctly. At 9k rpm it may be that the inductance of the cops is sufficient to momentarily not allow full current through the cops and therefore allow the TCI switching circuits to achieve a lower voltage that finally excites the vboost module. If the forgoing is correct then an inline resistor for the cops will help the tboost operate correctly again.

I was thinking something like that, however I think I need to go back to school for a 4 year term to write it in those terms..:worthy:
Thanks Bon for your imput Gannon

Latest posts

Back