Did I forget something? Why so difficult?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to take my carbs off so I can get them cleaned/rebuilt/whatever they need. HOWEVER, I've loosened the rubber boots that go to the VBoost area but I can NOT pull these things off. I sprayed some degreaser around the boots hoping that would soak in and loosen them up, but they are really stuck on there. I'm beginning to think I forgot to unbolt something. Can you see anything I forgot from these two pics?carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

Looks like the fuel line is still on there but other then that they should pop off. They are a little stubborn though and can take a lot of effort to get off

there are two clamps per boot. i usually loosen the top and keep the bottom tight so they all come out the same way. you could try that or opposite.

if you can throw your airbox back on and run her for a bit. they get stiff when cold. or maybe a hair dryer, be careful with anything that could create a spark though. lots of fuel there.

we had a bitch of a time getting mine off when she had sat outside in the 0 ? weather overnight.

Apply a bit of gentle leverage and ease them off.

A smear of silicon lube when re-installing is a good idea and this will also help should you need to get them off in the future.

Cool. I'm gonna try a broom handle after work with the bottom clamp tight and the top clamp loose. I just didn't want to damage anything with my vice grip hands and incredible hulk strength.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have the best luck by grabbing two carbs on the same side of the bike and pulling up hard. I usually stand on the left side of the bike, reach over it, and grab the carbs on the right side and pull up.

I have the best luck by grabbing two carbs on the same side of the bike and pulling up hard. I usually stand on the left side of the bike, reach over it, and grab the carbs on the right side and pull up.

+1

I usually stand on the left side, put my right foot on the left foot peg and pull up on the left two carbs at the same time. It's usually a bitch:rofl_200:

Shane

ya man, they'll come off. just be a man about it and show the rack who's boss. i was hesitant at first, too, to use any kind of "force" in fear of breaking something. tried the broomstick with no joy. but with some some elbow grease, the "holding two-carb" method finally popped mine loose.

I never had a problem, maybe just lucky? I pull the airbox, Loosen the upper clamps, WD-40 them and push DOWN from above. Maybe that "cracks" them loose initially and just wiggle them up and out from there, slick as snot. Probably doesn't hurt I live in warm soft pliable Florida. Yeah it's prime riding down here right now!

Broom Handle should work if you don't break it.. I use a 1" Delrin Rod / Dowel...

Back