Do you believe the Amsoil hype ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMAN999

Reaction score
These pictures (from CaptainKyle via Facebook) are of a clutch from a Vmax that has had Amsoil in it for 5 years.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now in reality I have nothing against you using Amsoil, I say to each their own.
But I really don't buy the hype posted everywhere by Amsoil dealers.
They claim it is the Best oil bar none for every motorcycle no matter what.
I even had one guy showing me links to the clutch test they did on dirt bikes.
But those test results are no longer on their site from what I can tell:
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx

I realize that the owner of that Vmax must have really abused the clutch for it to be that bad.
But if their Oil is so much better than any other oil sold my question is How did that clutch get so destroyed with Amsoil in the bike ???
According to the Amsoil dealers I've communicated with online that much damage would be impossible since the owner had Amsoil in his bike and has for 5 years.

I just don't see any reason to pay a premium for oil when the Shell Rotella T 15W40 I've used for the last 12-13 years works Great in my bike.
And even the Castrol GTX 15W40 Deisel oil I used before that seemed to work well.

So, what is your take on the extravagant claims made by Amsoil dealers ?
Do you believe the $12.50 a quart price is worth it to use Amsoil vs the $12.99 a gallon Shell Rotella T (or similarly priced oils) ?

Ready, Set, Post ....

Attachments

• Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-1.jpg
    Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-2.jpg
    Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-3.jpg
    Amsoil-used-for-5-years-Clutch-3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 142
I like amsoil, but I haven't used it in my max. Also, that guy worked really hard to destroy that clutch.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

^ I agree that the owner had to really abuse that VMax to destroy the clutch to that extent.
But, I had to laugh when Kyle said the owner has been using only Amsoil for the last 5 years in that Vmax.
Because I recently had an Amsoil salesman/dealer telling me I was basically an idiot if I didn't use Amsoil in my Vmax and that Amsoil is the Best Oil money can buy.
He even said it would protect my clutch much better than the Rotella T I currently use or ANY other oil for that matter.
He made it sound like Amsoil was God's Gift to motorcycle owners and anyone Not using it is just foolish and is risking clutch damage every time they ride.

I'm sure Amsoil is probably fine for most bikes, But I don't believe it is the best Oil for a Vmax or I'd be using it.

Last edited:
You know what protects the clutch even better than Amsoil?
NOT ABUSING THE MOTHERLOVING SHIT OUT OF THE CLUTCH!

I do not care what you use for oil, if you beat the tar out of something, something is gonna break.

Is Amsoil a good oil? Yes

Is Amsoil $15-18.00 per litre cdn good - hell no!

Hype costs money - period and It adds nothing to quality of the product.

Shell Rotella is just as good as Amsoil, but because there is alot less money spent hyping the product and also production volume is so much higher, the cost per litre/quart is alot less.

Mike

I guess my question would be did he really use Amsoil or just claim to? if he used it did he change the oil/filter regularly?...........Looks to me like that clutch had been slipping for quite a while and still used hard to see that much heat/damage, I believe Amsiol is a quality product but not to where I need to spend the extra $ myself.......................Tom.

I agree Tom, my post was really just to ask in anyone else actually heard and believes all the BS Hype from Amsoil dealers.

And that clutch was obviously heavily abused and I'm sure it would make No difference what oil was in the bike.

I just saw these pictures posted after being told repeatedly how much better Amsoil was than any other oil and it is the best oil on he market for a wet clutch.
From the way he talked about Amsoil you would Never believe that clutch could ever get in that bad of shape because the owner had the almost magical, miraculous Amsoil in it.
I just thought it was funny as hell that I saw the post soon after that about this bike and that it had Amsoil in it for the last 5 years.
So apparently the Amsoil isn't quite as magical or miraculous as the Amsoil dealers pushing it make it out to be.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for super lubricating properties for my clutch. I want it to grip, get some heat removed, lube well enough to disengage properly ect. Rotella is tried and true in our bikes. Amsoil for me is not worth the price. Not anymore than expensive spark plugs. Nice pics. How was the back tire?

I ran it in my GSXR for 2 seasons... didnt notice a lick of difference over Yamalube.

Steve, when is the last time you replaced you clutch in the 12-13 years not using amsoil? I'm no oil expert but a +1 to what you said. " I want it to grip, get some heat removed, lube well enough to disengage properly ect." I had an oil test done and the yamalube that my grandfather was using in his bike did just fine for 15+ years and the test showed that the engine was running like it was 6 years old with 25,000 miles on it. I had the oil tested at 130,000 lol

I've ran it & switched back to Rotella T...did it work...sure...does it work so much better than something else that I had to use it...absolutely not. It's not the miracle oil advertised...seen plenty of motors pop on the stuff...just like any other oil...

Now...my buddy who races NASCAR wants me to try what he uses in his motors...I'll give it a shot at next oil change & let you folks know my thoughts...but I'd be more likely to believe his opinion over a sales person's opinion all day & twice on Sunday!

I've ran it & switched back to Rotella T...did it work...sure...does it work so much better than something else that I had to use it...absolutely not. It's not the miracle oil advertised...seen plenty of motors pop on the stuff...just like any other oil...

Now...my buddy who races NASCAR wants me to try what he uses in his motors...I'll give it a shot at next oil change & let you folks know my thoughts...but I'd be more likely to believe his opinion over a sales person's opinion all day & twice on Sunday!

^^ right there... personal experience and experience from people you know and trust. I will trust someone's opinion on a product they have been using, rather than a sales pitch from the Flim-Flam brothers for some muricle... miricle... SOME SHIT CLAIMED TO BE A MAGICAL CURE-ALL FROM HEAVEN! (just because I am a writer doesn't mean I can spel lol)

If I run "low grade oil" like rotella for a few years and it ruins my clutch, I will probably save enough money in oil changes to buy a new one and still be ahead if I were using amsoil :biglaugh:

I don't believe in the hype. There is a guy that pushes amsoil on a CR5 forum I'm on. Lots of guys have jumped on the band wagon and said its great stuff. Then, someone came up with the idea of using "tractor fluid". It goes in the transmission of tractors. Now there are a slew of guys saying its the greatest thing.

I call it oil fad. Every forum seems to have an oil that everyone swears is the greatest. On here, Rotella T5 is the go to. On the Polaris ATV forum its mobile 1 (dry clutch) on the CR5 forum its tractor fluid, etc.....

As long as your using an non-energy conserving oil in a wet clutch machine and oil is changed at the proper interval I don't think you can go wrong with any brand.

As far as that clutch being destroyed, I don't care what brand that guy had in it. That is operator error/ gross negligence!

Steve, when is the last time you replaced you clutch in the 12-13 years not using amsoil? I'm no oil expert but a +1 to what you said. " I want it to grip, get some heat removed, lube well enough to disengage properly ect." I had an oil test done and the yamalube that my grandfather was using in his bike did just fine for 15+ years and the test showed that the engine was running like it was 6 years old with 25,000 miles on it. I had the oil tested at 130,000 lol

I mic'd my fiber disk just last week, because I changed the clutch cover. All were in spec. The steels were scuffed so I gave them a cleaning. The fibers were 4 years old.The clutch grabs even better with clean steels. Nothing but 15w-40 Rotella has been used. I started using it because mainly it was free at the time. It turned out to have great properties for the vmax.

Posted this on V4musclebike, but I'll reiterate here, just because.

I have used Amsoil in everything I own which has a gasoline or diesel engine since 1985. I have never had an oil-related failure in anything yet. That being said, I don't believe any Amsoil salesperson would tell you that Amsoil will allow you to abuse your equipment continually without any damage. Abuse is abuse, and no lubricant will protect you from it. I like it for the extended-interval oil changes, which actually make it less expensive than regular oils at shorter change intervals, but you do always need to change your filters and maintain proper levels. Anyone who doesn't is just being foolish. I believe Amsoil does give better protection than dino oils, especially in high heat situations.
As to the OP, we don't know that there wasn't already some damage before the switch to Amsoil, which would have progressed with any lubricant.

Do you believe the Amsoil hype ?

I didn't. But then I read about it on the internet, and if it's on the internet......

Now - can we discuss Slick50?

Don't believe any oil brand's hype.

Bikes with wet clutches have unique needs. Synthetic oils don't work well with wet clutches.

Old cars better used high ZDDP oils, or you will spall the cam.

New cars designed around synthetic oils can have a tendency to "coke" non synthetic oil, so they should be run with synthetic.

Piston engine airplane engines run straight, non detergent, ashless oil, with no problems. Mobil tried a synthetic aviation oil, with bad results. It did not work well with the lead deposits from Av gas.

Conclusion: use the right oil for the application. If someone says their oil "does everything best", go look somewhere else....

Back