Drag racing questions for Gen 1 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Race gas will make more power than pump gas guaranteed.

Race gas will make more power than pump gas guaranteed.
Not unless the engine has sensors. And ignition automatical adjusts. Higher octane actually burns slower And cooler.... but it does sure smell good!!!

Sorry if you were just being sarcastic.lol

Have fun at the drags!
Hopefully I can get my turbo 86 fj1200 done. And take it to kaukona drag strip. Later this summer. With boost Controller and Electronic ignition should be able to get 230-240hp out of it. If I get bored with that I have a billet 1480 block

Last edited:
I always giggle to myself. When people say they are going to run race gas in a stock non turbo engine. I once put Premium in my daughters 90cc atv. Because that's what I had I the can. Couldn't even get it started until I drained the tank. And got some regular and put it in it. Lol. Started right up.
Is it different for gen 2? I have run 111 octane in it and it just seems to run hotter… Old racing guy said it can clean out carbon buildup doing 2 gallons every so often…

View attachment IMG_7726.mov

That’s a video running some race fuel in it during December warming up before commuting to work 😇

The higher the octane the more resitance to detonation and thus the slower the burn and flame front. You will LOSE power and performance if you use more octane then is needed to prevent detonation. Unburnt or slowly burnt fuel will just gum/carbon up the system.

There are some race fuels (like the MR12) that has the benefit of carrying oxygen in the fuel which will make more power but again that is offset by the slower burn so no real advantage unless you are bumping up timing and or creating an event that will contribute to pre-detonation.

Hey guys, had a great weekend racing in Maui. Best run of 11.79 which was 4 tenths faster than last year. Best 60ft 1.85 so still need to work on the launch. 6500 launch worked well, just didn't grab hard enough. I think I'll try dumping the clutch faster next time. Did not spin the back tire. Ran 22 lbs in the rear. 38 up front. Shift light set to 9k rpm. I'll try to post a video. I ran premium fuel, not race fuel. The fuel in question was indeed MR12. My friend uses it in his ZX10 and (runs mid 8s) . I run it in my fireblade here on Kauai (low 9s). I believe it's either 93 octane or 87 octane, I've heard both. Screenshot_20240328_210942_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240328_210930_Gallery.jpgOverall a great time....bike still felt a bit rich. It's bracket racing over here so consistency is key. Appreciate all the comments and advice. Mahalo!

Is it different for gen 2? I have run 111 octane in it and it just seems to run hotter… Old racing guy said it can clean out carbon buildup doing 2 gallons every so often…

View attachment 93314

That’s a video running some race fuel in it during December warming up before commuting to work 😇
It's not any different for the Gen 2.

Even the very high end sport bikes only require 92 octane fuel. Much higher than that and you begin to hurt your performance.

Your video should show you everything you need to know. Most of that vapor is UNBURNED fuel. That is what coats down the internal parts of your engine and as it's slowly burned away leaves tons of carbon buildup behind.

Your "old race guy" is wrong.

The higher the octane the more resitance to detonation and thus the slower the burn and flame front. You will LOSE power and performance if you use more octane then is needed to prevent detonation. Unburnt or slowly burnt fuel will just gum/carbon up the system.

There are some race fuels (like the MR12) that has the benefit of carrying oxygen in the fuel which will make more power but again that is offset by the slower burn so no real advantage unless you are bumping up timing and or creating an event that will contribute to pre-detonation.

On the flip side I put regular gas in my blown fuel injected big block race car to move it a few feet. Bad Idea, the detonation shattered 3 spark plugs.

Right fuel for the right vehicle

Speed shifting will improve your times. I listened to your video several times. To long to shift and get back into the power .
And once you hit 4th. Stay on the gas. Don't shift to 5th.
It's a seat of the pants thing. No set rpm.

Back