Ducati Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well thats why they run the desmo valves isnt it? so they can intentionally over rev it cuz valve springs cant keep up?

im talkin out of my ass someone help me out here, im not a ducati guy

Duc's stupid Desmo system is why I'll never own one. They're stuck on it for "heritage" even though even Ducati fanboys will admit it's an outdated, imperfect, and expensive system.

My understanding of it was the developed it way back in the 40s-50s when spring steel wasn't nearly as good as it was now, and getting high RPMs from current springs was problematic. They made the desmo system to get around it. Which was fine and dandy, in the 50s. But springs got better, overhead cams became popular, and the problems of running at high RPMs were solved by refining the spring valve system. With 600cc sportbikes revving to 16k+ rpm using spring valves, the problem really just doesn't exist anymore.

Ducati's don't spin all that fast either...their flagship 1100 hits the rev limiter at 8200. Suzuki's enormous 1800cc twin spins up to 7500, so noting special.

Duc's stupid Desmo system is why I'll never own one. They're stuck on it for "heritage" even though even Ducati fanboys will admit it's an outdated, imperfect, and expensive system.

My understanding of it was the developed it way back in the 40s-50s when spring steel wasn't nearly as good as it was now, and getting high RPMs from current springs was problematic. They made the desmo system to get around it. Which was fine and dandy, in the 50s. But springs got better, overhead cams became popular, and the problems of running at high RPMs were solved by refining the spring valve system. With 600cc sportbikes revving to 16k+ rpm using spring valves, the problem really just doesn't exist anymore.

Ducati's don't spin all that fast either...their flagship 1100 hits the rev limiter at 8200. Suzuki's enormous 1800cc twin spins up to 7500, so noting special.

Gen II 1700 cc after reflash revs to 10,100!

Back