Favorite music from your youth

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as old as most folks here.....so most will not know the bands I am talking about....

Bloodhound Gang, A Lap Dance is so Much Better When the Stripper is Crying.

My favorite line from the song, "You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when you're doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler."

And my other favorite....

Butthole Surfers, Whatever(I Had a Dream).

My favorite line from the song, "Walked backwards, fucked like a fox I was more fucked up than your sister's tackle box."

Both of these bands always had controversial songs. But when you got past that and listened to the lyrics, its amazing how good they were as lyricists.

Boston
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
The Rolling Stones
Queen
Rush
The Eagles
AC/DC
Styx
Kiss
Heart
Alice Cooper
Steely Dan
ELO
Van Halen
Huey Lewis
Bad Company
Blondie
Judas Priest
Foreigner
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Yes
Pat Benatar
Joan Jett
Cheap Trick
Kansas
Tom Petty

My first concert was AcDc May 1979.Bon Scott was still alive..
Here's a few good ones.
Little feet
Uriah heap
Triumph
Accept
Fast way
RATT
Saga
Cheap trick
Foreiner- dirty white boy
Edgar winters band
Edagar winters
The sweet
Billy Thorpe
VAN HALEN/VANHAGAR
( NO Gary sharone) sp

"It has to be local to you. The more unknown the better."

Posts of R&R legends like Zeus36 miss the point of the O.P.'s criterion. While I like nearly all of what/who Zeus36 posted, Jack Hammer was looking for local (to you) bands, and "the more unknown the better."

One guy who was popular in MI back in the 1960's and '70's was Dick Wagner. Anyone on the East Side of the state and who attended local concerts and listened to local MI radio stations probably heard Dick Wagner in his early years, and certainly once he started playing for some nationally-known bands. In the 1960's Dick Wagner was playing in local MI bands like the Invictas (they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis, in Ortonville, I've been to Ortonville, a friend lives there) opening for Roy Orbison at the Devils Lake Theater outside Adrian.

He joined the Eldorados, which had a guest vocalist, before he changed his name to Mitch Ryder, who was known for his hard-driving songs (Sock It to Me Baby, Devil With A Blue Dress, and others). He then went to Saginaw and played with the Playboys, becoming the house band at The Village Pump. They changed their name and became the Bossmen, and had a regional hit: Take a Look My Friend. The Bossmen acquired another MI guy, Mark Farner who had played with Terry Knight and the Pack. Farner later went on to join Grand Funk Railroad.

From the Bossmen, Frost joined Bobby Rigg and the Chevelles. This Alpena MI band became the first band to use the name Dick Wagner and the Frosts, with the (s) to be dropped later. Two popular in MI singles they did were Rainy Day and Sunshine. This was 1967. Wagner produced a MI band in 1968, Cherry Slush, which charted the Billboard lists with I Cannot Stop You.

He then performed as the Frost at the Meadowbrook Theater outside Detroit, on a card with two renowned MI bands, the MC5 (Kick Out the Jams M.F'ers!) and the Stooges, whose best-known member was Iggy Pop. They allegedly were the best-sounding band on the bill there, and that kicked their reputation higher in MI. They began playing regularly at two MI hot spots for concerts The Grande Ballroom and the Easttown Theater. They also were picked to be undercard for concerts at that time in MI by John Mayall (blues were big in MI), Three Dog Night, and Blind Faith, Clapton's band after Cream fell-apart. Other MI bands popular at the time were the Rationals, SRC (Scott Richardson Case), the MC5. and the Amboy Dukes (who did one of the psychedelic staples covered by probably every garage band of the day, Journey to the Center of Your Mind).

They had signed a contract with Vanguard Records, but Vanguard was best-known as a folk music label, and the Frost was not treated well by the label. They went to San Francisco and opened for BB King, at the Fillmore West, Bill Graham's famous venue. If you ever saw Apocalypse Now in the director's cut, there was a story about what happened when the helicopter carrying the Playboy Bunnies crashed after doing a 'morale show' for a forward base of Army soldiers. To make the getaway from the Army base, Bill Graham in a cameo role, who was the emcee for the Playboy Bunnies show, set-off some smoke grenades as the Bunnies scrambled aboard the helicopter, and as amped-up soldiers charged the stage, trying to hang onto the helicopter as it took off. Who could blame them, not many Playboy Bunnies in a war zone!

And just because we need to know all-about the 'story behind the story,' an explanation about the Bill Graham Army base visit.

https://www.playboy.com/read/apocalypse-then
Dick Wagner's biggest gig as the Frost was in the summer of 1970, at the Goose Lake Music Festival outside Buchanan MI. I'll post a link so you can read about this event, it was spectacular in the number of performers, and was held for three days.

1695388517907.png1695389840029.png1695389586965.png

I was there for all three days, it was a great event. The Way It Was — Goose Lake International Music Festival, 1970
Lots of pictures! 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the festival in rural Jackson County.

After the Frost fell-apart, Dick Wagner went on to join a group in NYC, Ursa Major, who opened for Beck, Bogert, and Appice, and also Alice Cooper.

Ursa Major didn't sell records, despite their concert appearances on the undercard. Dick Frost then joined Alice Cooper, where he played on many of Alice's big hits: “School’s Out”, “Billion Dollar Babies” and “Muscle Of Love” albums.

After years with Alice Cooper, Wagner returned to MI where he ran his own recording studio in Saginaw, He died in 2014. A regional MI legend, whose fame was witnessed by many MI residents over the years and who is in the MI Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, as are some of his songs.

Rock on, Dick Wagner.

Hard to pin point any band or a few, and what would be my favorite would often change and rotate. What was a 'favorite' depended on the mood. I have never ever been a what they call 'a fan' of any band. Same with sports teams etc. But here are a few from my youth and young adulthood. Many of them I listen to even now, although not very often and even less since quitting beer.
A few in no particular order, from literally hundreds:

UK Subs
The Damned
Exploited
Vibrators
Sham 69
Wire
Subhumans
The Killing Joke
Ramones
Flipper
GG Allin
MDC
The Cure
Ministry
Bauhaus
The Doors
Flash in the Pan
King Crimson

etc etc etc..... it's a mix including some classical pieces, Louis Armstrong and even ABBA!

Alize had a nice song and is super sexy in her video singing J'en Ai Marre. Check it out, you will fall in love with her! LOL

Recent years my favorite piece of music to which I come back has been Astrid Monroe's album Timid Hate. One of my favorite songs there is 'I see a Boat'. I think this album is a collaboration with Genesis P-Oridge from former Psychic TV.

0ne of my all time favorite songs has been My Way by Sid Vicious from the album Sid Sings.

It's been a very long time since I've been to any concert, and GBH will be here in a couple weeks, so I might go and see them.

Last edited:
Not as old as most folks here.....so most will not know the bands I am talking about....

Bloodhound Gang, A Lap Dance is so Much Better When the Stripper is Crying.

My favorite line from the song, "You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when you're doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler."

And my other favorite....

Butthole Surfers, Whatever(I Had a Dream).

My favorite line from the song, "Walked backwards, fucked like a fox I was more fucked up than your sister's tackle box."

Both of these bands always had controversial songs. But when you got past that and listened to the lyrics, its amazing how good they were as lyricists.

It has to be local to you. The more unknown the better.

This is mine:

My first concert was AcDc May 1979.Bon Scott was still alive..
Here's a few good ones.
Little feet
Uriah heap
Triumph
Accept
Fast way
RATT
Saga
Cheap trick
Foreiner- dirty white boy
Edgar winters band
Edagar winters
The sweet
Billy Thorpe
VAN HALEN/VANHAGAR
( NO Gary sharone) sp
My 1st was Cheap Trick in 82.

My goal was to learn about music unknown to me. We all seems to have longer history than other forums. The obvious big bands are obvious, but I wanted to know what or which bands LOCAL to your home area made your heart race.

Another one from me:

The sweet sound of a 1985 vmax. With Stage 7 and a kerker 4 into1 with comp. Baffle.
The sound that band makes.Get my heart racing!
( check out pardox, from the twin cities.they used to come to des moines..And play some bars.)

Back