Favorite music from your youth

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, hard to put local for some folks here who grew up outside USA and under completely different circumstances, different concepts, and availability. Some things there were non existent while available and not special here. A different values system. What was obscure in North America, was often completely and outrageously alien, unknown and hardcore there. And our focus was on the outside often, not local, because what's local was very limited or not available.

One of my favorite performers was Canadian, Neil Young. But we're going for obscure, like if you're from the greater NYC area, David Peel.

Too Many Cooks
Voivod
Do you happen to know who Peter Gatien is? He was easy to spot, because he wore an eyepatch. He was from P.Q. A successful nightclub promoter in several places in No. America.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know who Peter Gatien is? He was easy to spot, because he wore an eyepatch. He was from P.Q. A successful nightclub promoter in several places in No. America.
Never met him but pretty sure I went to one of his clubs back in the day.

Cat Stevens
Little River Band
Player
Allen Parsons
Dave Mason
Joni Mitchell
Gino Vinnelli
Roberta Flack
Robin Trower
Carole King
Eurythmics
Carly Simon
Ambrosia
BTO
Doobie Brothers
Bob Seager
Bill Withers
ELO
Montrose
James Gang
Blackfoot
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Walsh
Joe Walsh
Al Stewart

Last edited:
Sure plenty of big-name, well-known talent in that list, however, I believe the O.P. was after 'local to-you, lesser-known performers or bands.'

O.P. Jack Hammer: "It has to be local to you. The more unknown the better."

Perhaps another thread about 'post your favorite sounds?'

Well, if you were anywhere close to Philadelphia, there were some great lesser-known bands there, not too-sure about western PA by Pittsburgh. Philadelphia bands from the late 1960's, not wildly-popular nationally: The Nazz, Mandrake Memorial.

1696097710265.png

1696097941160.png

Not familiar with those bands, but then again, we didn't have the internet back then and I never ventured to any of the big cities. No bands that had an album would even come close the the bars we had in the valley. Good info though

Looks like a 'hair band.' Pics like that will create lots of memories as you see them again.

Back