Final drive temperature - too hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicas

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how hot the final drive gets?
Mine is very hot to the touch. It?s so hot that I can hold on hand only about 5 sec!
Is this normal? :confused2:I change the hypo oil. It did'nt make any difference.
All is stock and only had 5000 miles on it.

You probably have the rear axle tightened to factory specs. Try re-torqing the axle to 50' lbs and see if that helps.

Sean

You probably have the rear axle tightened to factory specs. Try re-torqing the axle to 50' lbs and see if that helps.

Sean

+1, I was in the same boat along with a friend of mine. I took this little tip and ran with it and never looked back since :clapping:

Diff has been warm, but not egg-cooking hot ever since.

Last edited:
We replaced my Differential (complete) last Tech Day. New Oil. We torqued somewhere between 40 and 50 ft lbs. The diff that we put in had some of the paint worn off from years of setting, so I did a paint job on it. I figured the paint may raise the temperature some. Ran about 10 miles, high speed in the hot Florida Daytime and could still hold the differential with my hand. It was warm buy didn't fry my hand...:biglaugh:

Dave

Back