First post...few quick questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
This is my first vmax so you guys are going to have to help me out, here. I bought a '91 vmax with a stage 7 dynojet kit installed, modified stock header with supertrapp slip-ons. I can still hear the vboost engage when I turn the bike on so I'm assuming the previous owner opted to keep it when the jet kit was installed. I had to remove the crankcase ventilation assembly because the hoses were dry-rotted and falling apart and the glue that held the hoses to that black canister was crumbling away. I reinstalled the OEM oil filler cap and capped the two front K&N filters where the previous hoses attached. I also put a breather filter on the 2nd crankcase ventilation hose that comes up from the center of the crankcase. Problem is, now the idle jumps around and it stalls alot during idle and decelleration. 3 of the 4 plugs looked carbon fouled. (All except the front left cylinder which looked almost lean)

I'm guessing the carbs have been drilled per stage 7 installation instructions so do I have to run the crankcase breather assembly or can I just run it the way it is and adjust the idle mixture screw? Anyone know?

Thanks!

This is my first vmax so you guys are going to have to help me out, here. I bought a '91 vmax with a stage 7 dynojet kit installed, modified stock header with supertrapp slip-ons. I can still hear the vboost engage when I turn the bike on so I'm assuming the previous owner opted to keep it when the jet kit was installed. I had to remove the crankcase ventilation assembly because the hoses were dry-rotted and falling apart and the glue that held the hoses to that black canister was crumbling away. I reinstalled the OEM oil filler cap and capped the two front K&N filters where the previous hoses attached. I also put a breather filter on the 2nd crankcase ventilation hose that comes up from the center of the crankcase. Problem is, now the idle jumps around and it stalls alot during idle and decelleration. 3 of the 4 plugs looked carbon fouled. (All except the front left cylinder which looked almost lean)

I'm guessing the carbs have been drilled per stage 7 installation instructions so do I have to run the crankcase breather assembly or can I just run it the way it is and adjust the idle mixture screw? Anyone know?

Thanks!

It needs the breather assembly... Crankcase pressure has risen to a level that the stock system is unable to cope with...

Shawn kloker or Maleko know a lot more about it.... They will be here shortly...:thumbs up:

Did it run okay with the oil filler hose? If so, I'd find a new hose/clamps at Ace Hardware.

Mark

Did it run okay with the oil filler hose? If so, I'd find a new hose/clamps at Ace Hardware.

Mark

It ran "O.K.", but like I said, those tubes and that black canister were leaking alot due to cracks from dry-rot and wear and tear. It certainly didn't stall out, though. Would it work if I hooked 2 new hoses directly from the crankcase to the K&N filters up front without passing them through that black canister? I'd hate to have to spend 200 bucks on another stage 7 kit just for that stuff. What purpose did that canister serve?

Or...what if I kept the OEM oil filler cap and ran the single crankcase vent up to 2 smaller hoses and connected each of them to the K&N's? That way, the intake is still creating vacuum in the crankcase AND I keep the OEM oil filler cap.

You can order just the individual parts from here:http://www.dynojet.com/about_us/contact.aspx
Call the toll free number.

That puke can was a cheap way to catch oil residue and a somewhat clean looking way to have the two hoses join up and also to retain the function where crankcase gases are fed into the intake for combustion. Some just have the two hoses go to a Cambells soup can....or have two small lawnmower filters and then plug the two holes in the front air filters.

I think the solution you suggested would work too.

Mark

Mark

Does the puke can ever need to be cleaned out occasionally? I may switch to this as well..I've got a filter running out of the side (no catch can) but it's "puking" over the engine on that side

D

D, don't think so. The oil will drain back into the crank case.

Mark

Just an FYI. I ended up keeping the OEM oil filler cap, running the breather hose from the top of the crankcase to a 3-way hose connector and running 2 hoses from that to the K&N's. So far, so good, no stalling out and seems to be holding an idle much better, now.

:cheers:

Ghost do you drill and tap the K&Ns on top?

I didn't, they came that way when I bought the bike. Being that the filters are purchased seperately from the kit, I would assume you can order them that way but I'm not sure. This vmax is a whole new beast, to me.

Latest posts

Back