First two up on the Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
So it finally happened today! I've had my Vmax 9 months and my wife has never been on it..... Kind of sad! When I met her 10yrs ago I had a Kawasaki zx-9r crotch rocket that she rode on a few times but I sold it. Marriage, a 4 yr old and 2 yr old and rarely a babysitter equals no rides for her. Today we put in 94 miles on the Vmax together! I just put a single supertrapp on it with no discs at all. I like the sound around town and on short rides but today..... Holy shit!! My ears hurt! Cruising between 55-75mph for miles at a time was rough! Next time I'm putting the 12 discs in that it came with.
I always told my wife that the Vmax is a unique bike, kind of a classic of sorts. I don't think she really believed me, until today. It was pretty awesome, the first place we go and park next to about 15 Harley's (mainly street glides), an older guy probably in his 70's pulls up on a BMW enduro type bike and literally stares for probably 20 seconds. Then he says.... " What kind of bike is that? That's really nice looking." I told him thanks as we are walking away I hear a Harley guy say "dude check out that Vmax" I turned to my wife and said see I told you!

Another cool thing about our ride is she is finally convinced I need a sissybar/backrest! I need one to strap stuff to but she wants it now for "our" rides together.

+1 in the sissy bar for the wife.

Mine came with it installed when I bought it last year. We ended up going on a few rides at the end of last season - with the longest being about 150 miles total.

Great fun. I did end up bumping the rear shocks to "2 and 2"for two up riding.

Check out the VMax market in this forum. Folks sell sissy bars here on occasion.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458557928.332337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before we had kids (over 18 years ago) my wonderful wife always wanted to ride with me but I never liked riding with a passenger so we did not do it often. Once the kids came the bike was sold. Now that I have the Max with sissy bar I want to ride with her but after one ride in the neighborhood (no more the 25 mph) she decided she did not like it. I'm trying to get her to take the MSF course to see if she would like riding herself. I'm glad they you and your wife enjoy riding. Keep safe.

Doug

Vmax have been around for a while, but not in great numbers, those that have been into bikes will immediately recognize the distinctive scoops of nothing else. I have wanted one since the 80s but rarely saw one on the street.

I just bought a backrest/rack from cycl-istic and it's a damn nice piece for not much money. Wifey has wanted a backrest since our first ride but. Our kids are grown so we get to go hang out when we want to and the bike often plays into that. Sitters are priceless!

I'd recommend trying 6-8 discs and closed caps to quiet down your Supertrapp Exhaust.
According to Supertrapp open caps are equal to about 10 discs with closed caps.

To be honest I'm actually not a big fan of having a passenger either. I'm hoping with a backrest my wife will relax a little more. Yesterday she was pretty much stuck to my back the whole time and I was taking super easy! I was on the freeway doing 55-60 in medium traffic and a brand new camero pulled up next to revved the piss out of it then punched it! The second time he did I said screw it.... I only dropped one gear (because I had the wife) and as soon as I twisted it my wife started screaming no no no and sqeeeeezing the heck out of me, so I let off. If I was alone I would have dropped two and gave him a run, that's for sure!

On our last ride together, my wife kept tapping to go faster....

We hit 100 mph without any issues, leaving our two-up Harley friends in the dust on a straightaway.

My buddies only comment was - "wow, you got a fast bike!"

Yes, I do consider myself lucky that way....

I dont mind 2 up on a bike. Its hard for me to leave on the house on the bike without my woman. Shes just as hooked as i am and it a die hard man. Too her for her first ride on the max yesterday. We hopped on the highway and i grabbed a few gears up to about 95 or so. We got back and told her we almost hit about 100 and she didnt beleive it. Said it was smoother than the last bike. She loves the back rest.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Definetly want a backrest but damn.... $200-$275 for a somewhat beat up one?! OUCH

A backrest was the first thing i bought after I got the bike. I have 3 kids that like to ride. There's tremendous potential for losing one off the back. A little "not paying attention" mixed with a little "Vboost", could be a dangerous combination.:stretche:
I paid $200 4 or 5 years ago.

Another cool thing about our ride is she is finally convinced I need a sissybar/backrest! I need one to strap stuff to but she wants it now for "our" rides together.
I would second the thought for a sissy bar if you plan on having 2up on it.. I wouldn't let my son, or daughter ride on it without.. Now my wife I might let her ride on the bike without it sometimes...lol But she doesn't like being on the back of a bike, she said the Vmax scares the hell out of here- and it's too loud... I am making my 2nd Max into the road bike.. Quieter exhaust and the sissy bar.. I like the looks with the stock grab bar but it's great to have if you have 2 up. Oh be aware they like to wheelie a lot more also...

Latest posts

Back