Horn for Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPrider

Reaction score
I've just had my present Vmax for a few months and had to have it inspected right after I got it. It almost didn't pass because the horn was so weak. I tried a search with no results and then looked at every thread in General Vmax questions and saw nothing refering to horns. Need suggestions for replacement. I'd like something that would be a simple plug in and bolt up install if possible. I know these horns are not very good. My old 83 Ventures horns were pretty much shot long before I sold it. I checked a few websites on prices for OEM horns and they were all around $60. Wow. Any info on what you guys have replaced your old ones with is appreciated. Thanks.

GP

Well with my luck with the horn and its placement there really wasnt a whole lot to choose from. Then I got to looking at the horn, if your not familiar there is an adjustment screw on the back side which does change the tone and volume of the horn. Just thought I would throw that in maybe some help and its free. To me free is always good. OEM is always good too just make sure you stick with YAMAHA OEM. Thanks hope to help, Roy

I mounted two horns inside the engine guards, the photo thread is below.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5691&highlight=dual+horns

Only thing is, they were cheapo $15 horns from fleaBay, and while one of them still works, the other one's dead already. I like the Nautilus, but it's BIG. Looking at the ridesafer.com site, I think I might buy these http://www.ridesafer.com/Fiamm_Dual_AM_80_High_Performance_Trumpet_Horns_Ki_p/h0011.htm
as they will fit perfectly to replace mine and are made for bikes so should last!

And @129dB, they should be plenty loud too :punk:

I'm familar with those horns. The members of my FJR forum use them. I was hoping for something that would fit in the stock location, but I may be dreaming if I want to get any kind of decent volume. Don't think those will fit in the stock location. Sounds and looks like some of you have gotten pretty inventive with the location. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming.

GP

I've got a Stebel on my SV1000S mounted inside the fairing and love it. It's a bit odd looking so it isn't something I'd want on my Max. You can get a larger Hella horn and mount it in the stock location...

Hmm... These look pretty big. I better check the Max when I get home to see about different locations.

GP

Last edited:
I installed a Stebel Nautilus in mine, put it where the front coils used to be.

Another advantage of changing to COPs!

snh-01_LRG.jpg

oh wow I never thought of that. Does it really fit in there? You still have your Vboost?

I had to move a tab out of the way (sidestand relay I believe) to make sure it cleared the fan but it fits snug up against the vboost servo :eusa_dance:

I'll see if I can get pics later

I installed a Stebel Nautilus in mine, put it where the front coils used to be.

Another advantage of changing to COPs!

snh-01_LRG.jpg

Thanks I think you just solved my delima on where to put my horn. Been riding around for over a year without one because I didnt like it anywhere on the bike.

Ok, you can just about see it without taking anything off

From below the right hand scoop;
P1060752.jpg

From below the left hand scoop;
P1060754.jpg P1060755.jpg
(can you see the cable tie holding it steady?)

I have a question about the mounting options for the Stebel, is it true that the compressor and be detached from the horn section and a tube run from the compressor to the horns?

I have a question about the mounting options for the Stebel, is it true that the compressor and be detached from the horn section and a tube run from the compressor to the horns?

Brian, true. I found that on a BMW website where someone separate the compressor.

Latest posts

Back