Ignitech installed and did Coil On Plug conversion.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freaking Tap-a-talk loaded them upside down!

I stuffed the reservoir up on my coil shelf next to the Ignitech and the MAP sensor.

A couple screenshots of my latest ignition settings. Now remember this is a 1986 VENTURE. It has the dual pickup and less aggressive camshafts than a Vmax. I will tell you that this ignition box has made a 30 year old bike really run. Still pushing 900lbs plus me, but it sure likes to rev now!!

Attachments

• Mocha5RPM.JPG
    Mocha5RPM.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Mocha5TPS.JPG
    Mocha5TPS.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Mocha5 in 2D.JPG
    Mocha5 in 2D.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 12
  • Mocha5 in 3D.JPG
    Mocha5 in 3D.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Mocha5Misc.JPG
    Mocha5Misc.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
Traumahawk all I can tell you is I took the RPM only map and worked it from there. I dropped my redline down and matched my TPS to my MAP voltage at no vacuum. Then I arched the stock ignitech curve slightly in the 2000-4500 range. Kept bumping it until it felt right and pulled good. I do not ping or knock. Plugs are showing rich as of yet. But have not started with the needle shims. Have them set rich on purpose.

I never said I wasn't pushing it :) Just said I changed it. I took the original curve, dropped the top advance to 47 from 50. Arched the curve as stated then left the area from 5000-8000 alone.

Heavier bike, less aggressive cams, lower rpm range, and no v-boost. I am using the box to wring every HP out I can. You guys dance with the devil at a whole different rpm. I run in the 3000 to 4500 most of the time. I shift about 5500 on entering a highway. When pushing I shift at about 7000 at the most. Only play above 7000 when whupping on a Harley or some other unsuspecting soul that thinks a Venture V-4 is a slug :)

JB

And that's OK. ...just reminding you the vmax/venture is very noisy....and you might not hear detonation. I had 87 octane in the tank. I went from the stock curve to dynamic curve #2 at the dynamic. ...and picked up 2 hp. ....then loaded curve #3...and lost 4 hp. This was all in the same tuning session. By losing hp that told me that I was running into detonation that I couldn't hear.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Also the stock vmax curve on the dyna sheet is curve #1. That is full throttle.....the part throttle curve is the dashed line across the top.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I only have E.T on road and butt dyno. I will load a Dyna curve up and see what I get. I moved what came with the box by about 2-4 degrees in the 2k-5k range. When you ad the MAP to it is where it starts spreading out. Does Dyna publish vacuum advance plus rpm advance individual, combined, or rpm only?

And yes, we have noisy motors. I will even throw a bit of premium in and check it.

As Traumahawk and I have discussed over a few messages, the lower duration on a Venture cam reduces the effective cylinder pressure. Hence why I can run this type of curve.

Let us caution Vmax users that you need to work your curve up slowly. If you used this one I have on a Vmax and twisted the wick, you might get detonation and even get to see your connecting rods close up on race day!

As far as I know Dyna didnt do anything with the part throttle curve, and just kept it at 10 degrees + plus the stock curve.

as traumahawk and i have discussed over a few messages, the lower duration on a venture cam reduces the effective cylinder pressure. Hence why i can run this type of curve.

Let us caution vmax users that you need to work your curve up slowly. If you used this one i have on a vmax and twisted the wick, you might get detonation and even get to see your connecting rods close up on race day!

+1

As far as I know Dyna didnt do anything with the part throttle curve, and just kept it at 10 degrees + plus the stock curve.

Interesting. All of my work is down lower in part throttle. And I have set my redline at 8000rpm.

Love technology. And as folks can see, I will push it. If you see a request for a good used motor from me, bet you can guess what I did :)

Interesting. All of my work is down lower in part throttle. And I have set my redline at 8000rpm.

Love technology. And as folks can see, I will push it. If you see a request for a good used motor from me, bet you can guess what I did :)

LOL....just have Seans email and phone on speed dial. Most people that I know of that like to push stuff, have extras just in case. Extra carbs, extra frames....extra stuff. ALL of which I have sitting on the shelf.....just in case.:punk:

I have a spare 1986 motor - in a frame- with the carbs- with the differential. If I grenade this one I would slide in the spare then go for a complete Vmax driveline. Then you would have another Dingy on your hands!!

Just be forewarned that Harley guys get PISSED when you pass them doing 130......LOL

Just be forewarned that Harley guys get PISSED when you pass them doing 130......LOL

It is not so much a Vmax at 130. But a 30 year old Venture at about 110, with the stereo blaring and a copilot on the back drinking her coffee!!

With the fairing, I get float at about 125. And cannot hit it two-up. Took on a stock 110 Screaming Eagle with momma on the back. He was one up and turned into a Squawking Buzzard!

Latest posts

Back