Ignitech installed and did Coil On Plug conversion.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL....now thats funny. At a bike night at Hooters in OKC last week, there was a portable dyno. There were a LOT of unhappy Harley owners after being on the dyno.

Original ignition curve supplied to me with ignitech

Here are screenshots of the programming I got with the unit.
It is labeled 85-88 Vmax-V88 program. It is set up for the original coils as you see the dwell is at long. The RPM limit is higher and the upper advance is higher.

Attachments

• OrigRPM.JPG
    OrigRPM.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 19
  • OrigTPS.JPG
    OrigTPS.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 16
  • OrigMisc.JPG
    OrigMisc.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Orig2D.JPG
    Orig2D.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 17
Max advance is too high and come too late.
You can get 50° advance at 3000 RPM but at part throttle (near 0%)
It shouldn't be higher than 37-38° at WOT

Something like this :
ignite16.jpg

Guys, help out an ignition dummy - why would you want a higher advance at lower rpms? I would naturally think that advance should increase with piston speed (rpm). I must be missing something.

Dale

Higher advance on which map? It depends if it's part throttle or full throttle. Usually full throttle will be for an increase in torque.....at part throttle for gas mileage.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

The one that Thor posted above. It shows peak advance at 3000 rpm at all iap.
Dale

The one that Thor posted above. It shows peak advance at 3000 rpm at all iap.
Dale
Sorry thought you were talking about that venture curve. The map that Thor posted is copied from the European Vax curve....it has more advance at 3000......why I don't know.

The stock Venture curve puts more advance in than a Vmax curve. And much sooner. The one I posted as the original is not what I am currently using. It caused a very flat part throttle. My current curve is different.

We rode 2 up all weekend on my most agressive curve. The bike weighs in at 900lbs with fuel. 2 people added 425 lbs. Usual saddlebag contents about 25lbs. The temperature gauge might be up a little from when the stock TCI was last used. But, we got 33mpg. Speeds from 25-50 on back roads and 60-85 on highway. Along with a couple 3 digit runs. Momma said from her seat the bike is smoother, less vibration, and much faster on all counts.

I am going to put a slightly different curve in next. Part throttle unchanged, but dropping maximum advance a few degrees. Just in case I am getting a bit of detonation. Check plugs and temp gauge for reference.

Sorry thought you were talking about that venture curve. The map that Thor posted is copied from the European Vax curve....it has more advance at 3000......why I don't know.

Don't know exactly why, no vboost here, so mixture is richer => timing advance could be reduced, i don't see the Engineers logic, but they cant be wrong and EU vmax have a very good grunt at part throttle...

This not a copy, this is a mix between EU and US curves ;)

Just ran a second tank through 2 up. I am hit 34.8 mpg. Checked the temp gauge carefully and it looks good. Ran this tank at night. So with ambient temperature at 85 F. the gauge always stayed below the halfway mark. Had to flog it hard 2 up to get it to raise much.

Wandering back by to let everyone know that the motor is still in one piece. The C.O.P. conversion is doing well. Still playing with curves a bit. I am pulling the extra needle shims out finally. I have fouled out 2 sets of plugs with double shims - fancy that :) I had to take project time off obviously. Now, I am installing a new exhaust collector. I have developed a couple gasket leaks. And have the dreaded rattle in my collector. This means that the screen inside is loose. The new collector from Mark and good gaskets should help.

JB

Latest posts

Back