Is this something to be concerned with...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmnChode

Reaction score
I started up my bike as it had not been run for a few days (got a little nippy down here) and I noticed that only the right side was predominately "steaming". Keep in mind, at 29F, I expect the exhaust to steam some, but from only one side seems odd to me. Once the bike is fully warmed up (ie, ridden for a few miles) it no longer does it. However, when it is cold (both the engine and outside temp), from a choked start or any engine reving, it just bellows it out.

Could it be that I possibly have the left side discs on my supertrapps installed tighter? Or is there something else I might need to be concerned with...

I've included a short clip with the going form idle to about 2k with a blip at the end to show what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqibD63HWRk

Check the oil... Does it have any coolant in it? That's a lot of moisture... It's ALWAYS that side?

I take that it didn't get much colder than that right?

You may have a leaky head gasket, but lets not jump to conclusions yet.

Chris

If "coolant in it" meaning whether the oil looks milky/creamy...no it does not....at least not per the site glass.

Yes, it is always that side, as far as I have noticed....just a recent development as it has just now got to the point that the outside temperatures have dropped to a consistent low in the 30s (last night be the first dip in the 20's).

As far as I know, it only dropped down to 29F or so for the night...and it was the coldest night thus far for us (Texas does have it's perks at times).

Would definitely suck if it is a head gasket....bike only has about 6800 miles on her...

It's more common then you would think for one side and not the other. As long as the bike performs well and doesn't use/lose oil or coolant then I would not worry too much about it.

Sean

MY 2006 DOES THE SAME THING , AT 20 DEGREES IT STARTS ONLY OUT OF THE RIGHT PIPE & AFTER 3 MINUTES STARTS COMING OUT OF THE LEFT SIDE AND AFTER ANOTHER 3-4 MINUTES , BARELY COMES OUT OF EITHER SIDE ! ... ITS FINE ! ...:punk:

Cool beans...just had me a little concerned. Thx

Does make me wonder why it happens, though....

My '06 does it also....not sure about the '99, never paid any attention I guess. You could run a compression test just for your own piece of mind, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

I have 'Trapps and it does exactly the same thing........

I am sure that some physics professor and a thermodynamics engineer could come up with the reason that the odd-fire nature of the beast causes a hotter or faster or more even heating of one side of the exhaust versus the other.....

As was stated......a 4 into 1 (or the stock system for that matter) will not have this issue.....:punk:

looks normal, usually blown head gaskets smoke way thicker then that. no worries man. like everyone said check the oil thats your tell tail. just looks like normal moisture.

Back