Jetting ...Again

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Ok,

Normally I'd just play with this thing and eventrtually get it right. But I think time is going to be an issue for me once I get this bike re-assembled right before a Vmoa run to the texas Hill Country in Bandera.

My skins, swingarm and pumpkin are still at the paint shop so I can't ride it, and I gotta feeling I won't be getting it back together till right before I leave; not leaving me much time to iron out the wrinkles.

I installed a Dynojet stage 7 kit on my bike.

I re-installed the stock bowl vent tubes and routed them up near the filters, is that right??????????

K&N individual filters
Air corectors
165 DJ mains
Stage 7 Springs
Stage 7 needles on the 3rd clip from the blunt end
PAJ 1 & 2 still stock
I didn't drill the slides when I installed the kit.
UFO 4-2 Exhaust
I'm at 20 feet to 2500 feet.

Does anyone with some experience with this set up think it's gonna act right first time out? I keep hearing stories about mid range surging etc..and having to change one of the PAJ's which I don't really understand the function of...

In the garage I have the stock springs with 2 coils cut out of them, stock needles, some stage 1 needles and a crap load of Main jets both Mikuni and DJ laying around.

Any experts have suggestions for a good "first tune" set up so this bike will run great the first time out????? I'm second guessing myself and thinking maybe I oughtta go back to the stock springs and either the stage 1 needles or stock needles, it ran fantastic before with those springs, the stock needles; no shims, and 147.5 Mikuni Mains and the airboz with no Y installed.

I really wasn't after horsepower, I wanted the room under the faux tank for my Wideband commander, When I ride it I'll be able to tell exactly what the a/f is via the WBC a/f guage.....but not till I ride it....

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Rusty

Rusty, your settings look reasonabe. Stage 7 doesn't need vent tubes unless you are running velocity stacks. Go ahead and pull the tubes off.

I don't know if I would agree Mark. They can run fine without them but sometimes there is an occassional bike that likes them on and zip tied to the frame rails.

got my vent tubes tied up and seems to be ok, no need to take them off.

I don't know if I would agree Mark. They can run fine without them but sometimes there is an occassional bike that likes them on and zip tied to the frame rails.

Sean, may be right and probably not really worth it to try. I did not run them on my '89 prior to getting your kit. I did need them with my 2 inch velocity stacks though.

OK, I'm a dumbass...

My bike was way lean.

I had forgotten to oil the new K&N filters. I oiled them and now it was rich as fuck. like 10:1-12:1 at cruise. Was scared of doing a "ring wash"

Ran it a few miles to make sure it didn't change, it didn't .

I put the original stock springs minus two coils back in it, along with the stage 7 needles lowered to the second to the leanest clip position.

It's now just about perfect everywhere. 15:1 or so at cruise, and doing 2k-redline WOT rollons to redline it stays between 12.5:1 to 13.5:1 till ytou let off the throttle.....

For future reference for anyone in case they need it.

K&N indivisual filters/oiled this time:biglaugh:
165DJ mains
Stock on PAJ 1& 2
Stage 7 needles on second most lean clip
Stock springs minus two coils
vboost open at all times.

It runs really nice this way, although frankly I still think it was a little more crisp off the low end (2k-4k) with the air box in place.

I may try and play around with the float level or the PAJ2 to get the low end crispness back.Or maybe try the stage 1 needles????? Is that a good direction to go??

Thank you Sean Morley and Mark Milne for your help and time....

Me happy:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

hey, was just wondering how you are measuring your AFR because i'd like to be able to do the same. i know one way is to a wideband O2 sensor with a varying interpreters. are you on a dyno or something? it's just if there was a not-so-sophisticated method, i'd like to know.

Need Input, AFR while riding, How To????????:biglaugh:

DynoJet WideBand Commander.

Bosch Wideband 02 sensor, data logging for later viewing with RPM (and TPS if I had a TPS sensor, which I plan to do some day) and a permanently mounted analog a/f guage. It's a sytem I once had on my wifes supercharged 350Z that I removed when we sold it. Put it on the Max since it was just laying around the garage. It's been a great tuning tool.

It also has programable outputs you can program to do switch circuits on/off based on a/f ratio, rpm, throttle position etc. All you need is the right sensors to feed it the data. It would be a great nitrous controller. On my wifes car I used it to send a signal to the ecu to pull timing when lean under high rpm, high boost and WOT.

They are about $500 bucks for the sytem I believe, not sure tho' I bought it about 6 years ago. I don't get very good life out of the sensors, they only last maybe 10,-15 thousand miles if left in place all the time, not sure why??

hey that richness could be coming from the oil of the newly oiled filters run it for awhile, i would run richer first couple of days until my filters 'fried' out. just saying...

DynoJet WideBand Commander. Bosch Wideband 02 sensor and a permanently mounted analog a/f guage. :clapping:

Yep that's the exact setup I had pieced together in my dreams :eusa_dance: but with a digital guage. But that's too much cha-ching for me at the moment. This man's monkey will have to wait. :wacko:

Did you weld in a bung for the O2 sensor? if so exactly where? i've seen the posts of various locations, but since i have your attention...

Yep that's the exact setup I had pieced together in my dreams :eusa_dance: but with a digital guage. But that's too much cha-ching for me at the moment. This man's monkey will have to wait. :wacko:

Did you weld in a bung for the O2 sensor? if so exactly where? i've seen the posts of various locations, but since i have your attention...

I drilled the hole, but had someone else weld it for me.....

It's only sensing two cylinders, which is OK. most high performance hot rods running this setup only sense one one bank of a V6 or V8 engine as well. Just have to have a little faith that you managed to set up all 4 carbs the same and that the valves and rings and ignition are in comparable condition for the whole engine.

Attachments

• newvmax 076.jpg
    newvmax 076.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20

If it had have been for my bike in the first place it would have been too much cha-ching too if you asked my wife.......Funny how when she wanted it for her car price wasn't an issue:confused2:

At least she lets me have her hand me downs:biglaugh::biglaugh:

If it had have been for my bike in the first place it would have been too much cha-ching too if you asked my wife.......Funny how when she wanted it for her car price wasn't an issue:confused2:

At least she lets me have her hand me downs:biglaugh::biglaugh:
i MAN ARE THEY ALL THE SAME OR WHAT !

Back