Little help with my setup please.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratos

Reaction score
Have Mark's 4-2 headers installed with LOR mufflers and just installed Morley's jet kit.

Elevation - 463 ft

Current settings;
157.5 mains
100 PAJ1
177.5 PAJ2
Factory Pro Ti needles with clip at 2nd position from blunt end.
V-Boost is functional.
Stock springs.
Slides are not drilled.
Floats set at 1.120"
Fuel mixture screws are 3 turns out.
Carbs sync'd

Started with 160 mains and went to the 157.5's.
Had the fuel mixture screws set at 2.5 turns out and would get slight popping on decel and slight pop/crack when pulling in the clutch shifting from 1st to 2nd under moderate acceleration.

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable flat spots or problems through the rev range, but the bike doesn't seem to be as crisp and responsive as it was before I installed the jet kit. I know these bikes like it lean, so I was debating on what to change. Would 155 mains be too lean? Should I try needle clip position #1 first?

If anyone has this same or very similar setup/elevation and have had your bike on the dyno with all the settings sorted out, would you mind sharing your settings so I can have a starting point?

I also noticed that the CA model bikes have 100 PAJ1 and the others use 90 PAJ1, would there be any performance advantage of going to a 90 PAJ1?

This is my first carbureted bike and I don't really know all the ins and outs yet, but this forum has been a great help! :punk:

you may want to try setting the a/f screws individually. if u can do it by ear, great, but if not, do u have access to a sniffer? my front two were around 2.5 - 3 turns but the back two were near 5 or more turns out.

may help some of that.

i think some of us (mike and myself for a couple) feel the flat spot, but i also think it goes quicker thru the RPMs so i'm not sure what that seat in the pants feel is that ur talking about.

i relieved a lot of those issues by switching to vboost always on.

i'm at similar height to you and am running vboost always on, 160 mains, stg 7 needles i think 2.5 spots from blunt end. I wanna try stage 1 needles soon here (have them waiting).

i would keep stock springs otherwise u'll just go richer sooner.

you may want to try setting the a/f screws individually. if u can do it by ear, great, but if not, do u have access to a sniffer? my front two were around 2.5 - 3 turns but the back two were near 5 or more turns out.

may help some of that.

i think some of us (mike and myself for a couple) feel the flat spot, but i also think it goes quicker thru the RPMs so i'm not sure what that seat in the pants feel is that ur talking about.

i relieved a lot of those issues by switching to vboost always on.

i'm at similar height to you and am running vboost always on, 160 mains, stg 7 needles i think 2.5 spots from blunt end. I wanna try stage 1 needles soon here (have them waiting).

i would keep stock springs otherwise u'll just go richer sooner.

I don't have access to a sniffer or dyno. There is a harley dealer an hour away that has dyno runs once a year for anyone that wants it, I am waiting for that.

I agree, it does go through the RPMs much faster, but more so as the RPMs get higher. I guess it feels softer on the bottom end than I was expecting. I forgot to mention that it also idles noticeably different. Seems to lope more than usual, and when idle is set correctly when warm, it lopes so much that it seems like it is going to die when started cold or has been sitting for 45 mins or so without choke on a 75-80 degree day. The loping sounds cool and I get compliments on the sound, but I didn't think it should be quite that drastic.

I would try putting your stock needles back in. It is pretty easy to do and that may give you a little insight as to what is going on.

Good luck,

Jeff

I was gonna say, play with the needle clips as it's easy to do and see how it feels. Remember on carbs, the midrange is all needles, and the main jets really do half to WOT where it seems you're quite happy.

Well, got an Innovate Motorsports air/fuel ratio gauge kit and spent the whole day "real world" tuning, not on the dyno. In tuning I was trying to get the air/fuel ratio to stay right around 13 while doing a WOT run in 4th gear from about 2K rpm all the way to redline.

Current setup after tuning to the above air/fuel ratio.

Mark's 4-2 headers with LOR 13" mufflers.
Morley's air box lid.
147.5 mains.
Factory Pro stage 1 needles at 2nd clip position from blunt end.
Stock springs.
Stock PAJ2.
Slides are NOT drilled.
Fuel screws are 3 turns out.
Floats set at 1.120"
I am also running a Dynatek 3000 ignition set at curve 1.

1. When I do the 5th gear at 4K rpm test it pulls smooth all the way to redline.

2. If I snap it to WOT in 4th gear at 2K rpms, it goes very rich and sputters and pops until it hits 3K rpms then pulls hard the rest of the way to redline.

3. If I go through the gears to redline, it seems to have a flat spot up in the 7K to 8K range that does not show up when I do the test in #2.

I am happy with #1

I am not sure what to look at for the issue in #2.

I am assuming I may need to go up in main jet size to help the issue in #3, but not certain why the flat spot doesn't show up when doing the 5th gear at 4K rpm test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back