Looking for a GPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max D

Reaction score
So I would like to get a GPS that is motorcycle friendly. I dont know much about motorcycle specific GPS's but I have used them before in cars and I really want that conveince on my max. Does anyone on here have a GPS mounted on there max ? How does the charger work? is it water proof?

I bought a Zumo 550 in 2007 which is water resistant (it can handle rain) and I hard wired it. It's made for a motorcycle and comes with a M/C specific ram mount and holder. They have new Zumo's out now. Check out Garmin.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

So I would like to get a GPS that is motorcycle friendly. I dont know much about motorcycle specific GPS's but I have used them before in cars and I really want that conveince on my max. Does anyone on here have a GPS mounted on there max ? How does the charger work? is it water proof?

I used a Garmin 1420 this past summer on my bike, mounted to a quick - connect on the faux tank. It is powered by the same extra circuit used to run the stereo, direct off the battery, so that both can be used with the ignition off. It is not waterproof, but a baggie works well to keep rain off.
The problem with these cheaper, car specific GPS units is hearing them. They are audible (barely) when scooting around town, but at highway speeds, forget it. You have to rely on the visual screen for the directional prompts. Another problem can be sunlight, which can wash out the screen if it falls directly on it.
These problems aside, the GPS is a very handy device, once you get used to the various menus. The "Points of Interest" feature is very handy, not only for locating gas stations, but also restaurants, camping sites, etc.
I will eventually use this Garmin only in my car, and purchase a model that has both an FM transmitter (so I can hear it thru my stereo speakers) and/or Bluetooth capability, so I can use an earbud. These features are usually found in the higher end models of each manufacturer, but prices continue to drop. But at present, these models are still less than half the price of the bike-specific GPS units.
Cheers, Miles

I had a tomtom on my Max it sitted in behind my screen bolted via handlebar powered by battery via cig lighter that was hidden under faux tank that in turn connected to battery via battery tender leads . I think i have pics on my user page.

I miss my Max .

As for the rain it never really got wet in a 550km trip i did and it pissed down all the way . The brackets i used were sturdy and never moved . Just had to keep an eye on screen as i wasnt wearing an ear piece .

Hay gunrunner i like the way your gps mounted where did you get those mounts? i dont have a screen but i could just put a plastic bag over it also fyi im running stock bars i couldn't tell if yours were stock or not

I've got a RAM mount for my TomTom XL, but that waterproof mount looks like a lot better idea, for a lot less money. I use the GPS on my Roadstar, but I'm going to order one of these for the Max.

the Garmin Nuvi 550 is waterPROOF and around $ 200 on e-bay... great deal , and i tested it through over 1100 miles of mostly a hard rain over from Detroit to Baltimore maryland and back , great product for the $

Back