looking for a H.I.D Headlight guru

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
Need to know all about everything to do with a H.I.D system. I see car's running around with a cool blue purple color. I want to light up the road on high beam's. Im also thinking about running lights.

I'm no expert but I think u have to have a ballast to boost voltage to run the lights. All the plug in play ones I have seen were fake. That was for cars anyway. I guess I'm not a guru.

I was hoping i could find a kit with ballast that would plug in line with the vmax headlight plug. I should be able to plug the bike plug into a harness before the ballast and than plug the ballast plug to the headlight.

Im ceratainly not a GURU but is this what you are looking for?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/305-036?utm_source=none&utm_term=&gclid=CKf76tW79a0CFU6Mtgod7RoZsg
305-036_A.jpg

There was an article in VBoost mag dedicated just to this very topic. I dont remember if it discussed installation, though. If you dont have it handy, I could summarrize the finer points, but I sill have to revisit it to refresh my memory. get a hold of vmaxextreme who would definately know what is up. Meanwhile I'll go hunt down the edition

EDIT I must be mistaken--niether of the mags I have talk about it. Now I am at a lost. I know I read an article abour hid. Hmmmm

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

Need to know all about everything to do with a H.I.D system. I see car's running around with a cool blue purple color. I want to light up the road on high beam's. Im also thinking about running lights.

It's true that most H.I.D. systems are far superior to halogen, but don't be fooled by the blue purple color, Mike, if you want to "light up the road". The color is determined by the degrees kelvin of the light source. The intensity/effectiveness of the light is determined by the lumens amount given off, and the beam spread. Lots of info on the internet.
This is not to say that the higher kelvin colors cannot bright, it's just that the lamp must also have a large amount of lumens output. Not all manufacturers give out this lumens information. I believe most of them believe that most folks will equate higher kelvin temps with brightness. Not necessarily true.
Cheers!

It's true that most H.I.D. systems are far superior to halogen, but don't be fooled by the blue purple color, Mike, if you want to "light up the road". The color is determined by the degrees kelvin of the light source. The intensity/effectiveness of the light is determined by the lumens amount given off, and the beam spread. Lots of info on the internet.
This is not to say that the higher kelvin colors cannot bright, it's just that the lamp must also have a large amount of lumens output. Not all manufacturers give out this lumens information. I believe most of them believe that most folks will equate higher kelvin temps with brightness. Not necessarily true.
Cheers!

+1

The brightest light seems to be around the 4800k range. As they get higher they tend to be not as bright. Some say anything over 6000k is a waste. Personally I like the soft tint of blue. I'm running 6000k in both my bike and the Hawkmobile. As soon as I get off my lazy ass I'll install a 6000k system in my dodge, instead if just letting them sit in the box on my shelf.

Up here they are starting to pull people over because of their headlights being too blue and purple. I don't know about your area but up here there is a law on what colors can be projected, even blue dots on the brake lights aren't legal up here, even though its obvious its a brake light.
I have to admit though, there is a black tuner car up here that has purple ground effects and purple HID's, It looks pretty sharp. Only issue up here is that you only get to see it in the fall, no darkness in the summer time. :rofl_200:

hidchart5.jpg

I don't run HID but have the Maxlight kit from Vmaxbits in the UK. It allows use of a 85 watt low and 100 watt high H4 bulb. It too has a small ballast that resides in the headlight shell. Not quite plug and play but close. I said it before, While it has a "cool" factor, I see better with white light and blue light is like running in moonlight.

It looks like i can get 35 watt or 55 watt. Is 55 watt best. I dont want to be to brite on low beams but some what brite and brite to vary brite on high beams. Im thinking the darker blue will give me that but not sure. I dont think i want purple

I was just told by a sale's person that 55 watt can get hot enough to melt the housing or plug. Is anyone running 55 watt in a stock vmax headlight housing and is it working ok.

I was just told by a sale's person that 55 watt can get hot enough to melt the housing or plug. Is anyone running 55 watt in a stock vmax headlight housing and is it working ok.

Reason why they heat up with 55w, is in some kits an 55w HID bulb is an over driven 35w HID bulb.
So to be safe, run a 35w HID (3x brighter than halogen) or make sure your kit has a true 55w bulb.
Here is a reason some shops don't sell the 55w.

35W vs 55W HID Kits

XenonDepot only sells 35W HID conversion kits for several reasons. 55W HID conversion kits do produce slightly more light (approximately 15%-20%) than a 35W HID Kit. This increased light output usually results in a less even light spread and additional glare. 55W ballasts are not as efficient as 35W ballasts that we sell meaning that 55W ballast longevity will be compromised. Many merchants that sell 55W HID claim that 55W is a superior technology. However, there is a reason that all cars that come with HID lights from the factory still use 35W technology and not 55W technology. These 55W HID kits often overdrive the 35W HID bulb to obtain the increased light output. As a result, you can expect the HID bulb to burn hotter which can damage your headlight. You can also expect a significantly decreased bulb life.

And from DDMtuning.com

What is the difference between 55w and 35w kits?
Our 55w HID kits are 40% brighter than the standard 35w kits.
The 55W system ballasts are about 1 cm longer than the 35W ballasts.
55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit).
Our 55w HID Kit is not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area.

I have pretty thin housings for my headlights (about 6"w x 2"h x 4"L). I've had zero issues with the 35w setup I got from DDMtuning.

I did the DDMTuning HID upgrade last winter with the 6K bulbs. I rode all last summer and LOVED IT!!......great upgrade.
One thing to watch out for is to make sure you get the "compact" light fixture. The standard one will require you to cut a hole in the back of the bezel for extra room......other than that it was plug and play. It is challenging to find hiding spots for all the equipment that comes with it but can be done. And is totally worth it.....IMHO....

95spfldmax did you go with 35 watt or 55 watt.

95spfldmax did you go with 35 watt or 55 watt.

Unsure. I'll have to find receipt to be sure but I think the 55W. Everything "lights up" great.....especially all the roadside and overhead signs....and the light trails off into the sides of road/woods/etc too.....can just see so much more detail night riding nowadays.......

Back