M109R thinking of a V-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ta-kid

Reaction score
So I have been riding an K7 M109R for years and use to own a K8 Busa so the thought of having the best of both worlds is appealing.So those who use to have a Busa or have moved from a M109R to a V-Max,give me your thoughts.
I have been hesitant to make the jump due to fuel mileage or should I say distance on a full tank.But I checked my usual weekend touring routes to make sure all my gas stops were under a 160K(100 miles) and they all are so I should be ok.

So I have been riding an K7 M109R for years and use to own a K8 Busa so the thought of having the best of both worlds is appealing.So those who use to have a Busa or have moved from a M109R to a V-Max,give me your thoughts.
I have been hesitant to make the jump due to fuel mileage or should I say distance on a full tank.But I checked my usual weekend touring routes to make sure all my gas stops were under a 160K(100 miles) and they all are so I should be ok.

Haven't owned either but have ridden both.

I think if you took what I feel are the best attributes of both those bikes (from my point of view) and combined them......that's what you'll get with the VMax.

The Gen 2 ride and riding position is similar to the 109, although the VMax has better brakes and can be leaned over a lot further.

The Gen 2 will accelerate as good as the Busa up to 140 MPH.

The VMax also has a lot of low end TQ, more than either Suzook. To me that is what makes it so much fun to ride. You can grab some throttle at 3000 in any gear and it will pull hard. The Busa doesn't really pull like that until 6K or so. Some like the top end rush you'll get on the Busa more.......but the advantage of the Vmax power delivery is that you don't always have to run over 130 MPH to satisfy the need to feel some awesome acceleration.

The range does suck........the only nagging negative the bike has IMO.

Mark

Had a M109R and my Vmax both at the same time. M109 is gone Vmax still here. 109 was a great looking and riding bike. shifting it sounded like it was ripping the trans apart. couldn't lean much, it was lowered. I liked it fine but its a Vmax for me.

I was drawn to the 109 by its looks especially that rear tire! One dealer test ride sealed it for me. No way in hell would I take it over a Vmax. It just don't have the power and raw grunt of a Vmax. Shifting was like an old nasty Harley with crunching and grinding noises. If range is not an issue for you, comfort may be if you are a bigger guy. A Maxgasser seat would fix that though.

I was looking at 109r's and I ve owned plenty of gen 1 Vmaxs. I've also owned Busa's both stock andn turbo'd. The Busa to me was WAY more comfortable to ride and could easily double the distance of a gen 1 or 2. Both my Busa's where gen 1's. Power wise not much will match a Busa. Where the Gen 2 vmax falls flat the Busa keeps pulling. I liked the gen 2 vmax seating a little better than a gen 1 vmax, but the cost of a gen 2......you could buy a used gen 2 Busa AND a gen 1 vmax and still havecash ledit over. That way you can get the speed rush from the Busa and rhe power feel from the gen 1 vmax.

If the 109r only had more power I might have one already.....

Todd

I would like to own a gen2 vmax but like Todd said you could own a 2007 gen 1 vmax with 8000 miles on it and a 2007 gen 1 busa with 8000 miles on it for the price of a 2009 gen2 vmax with 8000 miles on it. $12000 is alot of coin for a 5 year old bike.

I own a 2008 M109R that I bought new, and I bought my 1999 VMax last summer.

I love both bikes, they are both "cult bikes" that will draw a lot of attention. Having said that, after I have ridden the VMax for a few days, when I get back on the "9" it feels enormous and heavy, with really wide handlebars. But it still has that "kick in the ass" acceleration. The VMax does too, but it feels more impressive on the 9 because it is so big and heavy.

The VMax has a much shorter cruising range, and it's less comfortable on long rides. (Granted, I did mod the 9 with riser extensions and a gel seat, as well as aftermarket rear suspension.) My girlfriend says the Vmax is far less comfortable for her as a passenger too.

So, I say you keep all of your bikes and buy the VMax, you can never have too many motorcycles!!! :punk:

First of all if gas is a issue for you now it will be one with you if you get a gen 2. As far as power, I spank gen 1 and gen 2 busa's all day. No motor work on the busas such as turbos, but in the 1/8 which is what is around me. They have no chance. As far as comfort, I redid my seat and to me it is perfect. As far as gas goes, I didn;'t buy this bike to ride across country, I bought it for what it is and that is (it is one bad ass bitch).
And last I can say that I have one. Not many people can say that.
No offense but if you have to ask what other peoples opinions are about a bike of this caliper, I wouldn't buy it. To me if you just look at it and it doesn't speak to you, or if you ride it and it don't speak to you then I would leave it alone, this bike is not for everyone. And not everyone is for this bike,
I am sick, I sleep, shit, eat, make love, VMAX.... And this is 24/7/365. And what is bad about this is I have been doing this since 1985,
And didn't buy my first vmax until 1997, that is how sick I am.

So, the question is how sick are you.

Sincerely

LumMax

First of all if gas is a issue for you now it will be one with you if you get a gen 2. As far as power, I spank gen 1 and gen 2 busa's all day. No motor work on the busas such as turbos, but in the 1/8 which is what is around me. They have no chance. As far as comfort, I redid my seat and to me it is perfect. As far as gas goes, I didn;'t buy this bike to ride across country, I bought it for what it is and that is (it is one bad ass bitch).
And last I can say that I have one. Not many people can say that.
No offense but if you have to ask what other peoples opinions are about a bike of this caliper, I wouldn't buy it. To me if you just look at it and it doesn't speak to you, or if you ride it and it don't speak to you then I would leave it alone, this bike is not for everyone. And not everyone is for this bike,
I am sick, I sleep, shit, eat, make love, VMAX.... And this is 24/7/365. And what is bad about this is I have been doing this since 1985,
And didn't buy my first vmax until 1997, that is how sick I am.

So, the question is how sick are you.

Sincerely

LumMax

Well said Bro.....honestly I wouldn't take 2 M109's AND 2 Gen 1 Vmaxs for my Gen 2...... swear on my kids. That's how much I like the bike....but I'm like you, obsessed. Every day when I come home and hit the garage door opener and see that bike sitting there I feel prideful, and grateful that I'm lucky enough to own one.

Well LOL-Glad you love your V-max so Much.
Just want thank everyone for thier input.The only one question I have left in my mind is what the hell is it with Yamaha putting those small diameter handlebars on such a powerful muscle cruiser.My 10 speed has thicker bars on it.If I ever got one that would be my first mod.

Yea really.No I think the motor and chassis are such a piece of art the way it looks and put together ,and yet the small diameter bars take away from it IMHO.I am just use to the thick drag style bars on my M109.

What kind of mileage did you get with the 109R?

That was one of the reason I sold my Vmax, it couldnt pass a gas station without auto piloting in. And honestly that was one of the biggest pain in the ass things when riding with other Vmax riders who didn't have tuned up bikes, they had to stop at even less miles than I did. We did a ride a couple years ago and we were stopping every 50-60 miles..... that got old FAST. LOL.

The 109r was something I was looking at because it has totally different looks and it looks bad ass to me. Plus the big motor and all that torque. Actually doesn't the 109r make more torque than the Vmax?*

* never mind found it.

109r Torque @ RPM: 118 @ 3200

Vmax 113 lbf·ft (153 N·m) @ 6,600 rpm[11]

5 ft lbs isn't enough to make a huge noticeable difference I guess, but 3200 rpm vs 6600 rpm is. Damn thats crazy! But you have all that heft to move on the 109r.

I think it would be a fun bike ( 109r ) though. Just concerned it can't pass a gas station either. That takes the fun out of riding any kind of distance except 1/4 miles ;)

Todd

Well said Bro.....honestly I wouldn't take 2 M109's AND 2 Gen 1 Vmaxs for my Gen 2...... swear on my kids. That's how much I like the bike....but I'm like you, obsessed. Every day when I come home and hit the garage door opener and see that bike sitting there I feel prideful, and grateful that I'm lucky enough to own one.

I agree all the way..The weather was nice last weekend so a few of us went for a few hour Ride..My friend wanted to stop by the Harley Dealership you be amazed how many people came over to my Gen2 with the wow look on their face and asking about it or how many cars keep pulling up beside me and pointing at my gen2 even had a kid in one Car beside me taking pictures of it in Traffic the whole day was like that we stopped at Hooters and ate people all over it.. So much that My girl said WOW everyone loves this bike.. That is a great felling when that happens My Gen1 never got that kind of attention and it was a Very custom gen1.. but none of that compares to the feel and fun you get riding a gen2 :worthy:
you cant have a Beast with Big Horsepower and speed and all that Fun and worry about gas :ummm:

you cant have a Beast with Big Horsepower and speed and all that Fun and worry about gas :ummm:

Well you kind of can. My turbo busa would easily go 180-200 miles on a tank of fuel.....

If they put a larger tank on the Gen 2, I think that would have sold more people on it.

None the less they are bad ass bikes and in a class of their own.

Todd

What kind of mileage did you get with the 109R?

That was one of the reason I sold my Vmax, it couldnt pass a gas station without auto piloting in. And honestly that was one of the biggest pain in the ass things when riding with other Vmax riders who didn't have tuned up bikes, they had to stop at even less miles than I did. We did a ride a couple years ago and we were stopping every 50-60 miles..... that got old FAST. LOL.

The 109r was something I was looking at because it has totally different looks and it looks bad ass to me. Plus the big motor and all that torque. Actually doesn't the 109r make more torque than the Vmax?*

* never mind found it.

109r Torque @ RPM: 118 @ 3200

Vmax 113 lbf·ft (153 N·m) @ 6,600 rpm[11]

5 ft lbs isn't enough to make a huge noticeable difference I guess, but 3200 rpm vs 6600 rpm is. Damn thats crazy! But you have all that heft to move on the 109r.

I think it would be a fun bike ( 109r ) though. Just concerned it can't pass a gas station either. That takes the fun out of riding any kind of distance except 1/4 miles ;)

Todd
I average 36 MPG with pipes, intakes, and fuel management. It's a 5 gallon tank. Some folks claim to get well over 40 MPG but they must be riding like pussies IMO.

Back