maintenance questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Some of you have been helping me out so know the story but long story short I just got an 03 max with now 6500 miles on it and it has sat a little over the last few years.

So my question is what do you guys recommend maintenance wise I should do?

So far I have:
- changed the oil and filter
- changed the air filter
- changed the spark plugs
- changed the shaft drive oil
- changed the brake pads and seals/bled them (pistons were seized and leaking)

I have a new fuel filter but cannot figure out where it goes?
Carbs are going to be cleaned and synched wither this week or next.
Also need to replace throttle cables as they are sticking

Anything else that needs to be done?
Thanks in advance

Re: mainttenance questions

To change your fuel filter, remove the front section of your seat. You will see the filter located on top of the tank.
Other maintenance items that I would include, would be to change all of your brake fluids, including the clutch.

Also the most unchanged fluid on the bike... Fork oil... Get some Silkolene 15wt oil and have at it.

Coolant is another one that you'll want to tackle.

Chris

Change the coolant and check the plug wires/boots and charging system. Probably want to sync the carbs, check the boots, lube the throttle cables, check steering torque.

get a haynes manual too! the online service manuals help but the haynes is also written for folks that don't nec have a huge mechanical background

It's an 03 so hopefully things are in pretty good running order. Imagine how I felt when I bought my 85 and it had the original fuel filter, original brake fluid and original front tire!

I knew that the bike would need everything gone over at least once!

Your on the right track...the biggest one will be getting those carbs right. Take your time with those. The worst thing is having them off, NOT doing something, putting them back on and then realizing you have to take them back off again!

That is why I can get my carbs off in about 12 minutes! Practice makes perfect!

Appreciate all the help.
I will look into one of those manuals, and as for the carbs. A tech that works for my friend is doing them for me. I am not even going to mess with em!!!

You can get the hanes manual fairly cheap if you go through ebay. Even go to a local Chapters - or Indigo - or whatever they are called - and have them order it to the store for you.

Mine was 40 bucks shipped. Canadian. Just a lil over half that in US funds (the shipping killed me).
________
extreme vaporizer review

Last edited:
Back