Motorcycle lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
I was looking at getting a motorcycle lift so I can do more work on my bike as needed.

I was looking at http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html good price and the store is right down the road from me.

Here is my concern. I have Marks pipes on there and the pipe on the left side seems to be a bit lower then the right. so clearly I can't move it complete under the bike and jack it up,

What options do I have?

This is not mine, but I made something very similar. Works great!

Attachments

• Lift adapter.jpg
    Lift adapter.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Lift in use.jpg
    Lift in use.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 162
build yourself a wooden ramp to get the bike higher to get left under and a few paint stir's to level on the lift.

I have a harbor freight down the road from me. And after reading a few of the review I have to look at it be I bought it from them. A lot of their stuff is good but I have found poorly built items and would not use them or buy. Lifts seem to jump up in price. If your are worried about getting under the bike, roll the front tire up on a board to get more clearance. I would tie the bike to the lift be raising it up.

I bought one a few years ago, from Sears.
It works fantastic, the only thing I have to do is pop my belly pan (ordered from dzus fasteners to simple things up). I've even left the bike on it for some time and it didn't drop at all.

33907719.jpg

89430819.jpg

My main concern is the bottom of the bike is uneven.

It will fit under just fine.

I have a Canadian Tire model. It fits just fine under the bike as well. If the truth were known, probably all these different lifts - Harbour Freight, Sears, Canadian Tire , etc, etc,- are made in the same Chinese Factory, by the same underage and underpaid employees, that just stick different labels on them, depending on which western "big-box" store they are intended for. But I digress..........
In any event, that's the reason for building an adapter - to compensate for the uneveness of the bike's bottom. The one I built catches the frame on each side, and avoids hitting the pipes, oil pan, and side stand pivot point. Plus the center of gravity is in the middle of the lift. Regardless, the safety strap should always be used.

Here is pics of my "FAIL" at a HF lift. After seeing and using CaptainKyles, I had to have one. I got this from Craigslist $209. Condition is good not great. Table wobbled on three casters and did not sit flat. Noticed the front wheel extension as it was too short for the wheel base. It still is too short, look at the rear wheel. So you want to set up an uneven bike? I have no center stand so I got a dolly from Northern Tool. You can use a 2x2 and a 1x4 or what ever combination levels you out under the pipes and I tied it down too cause it worries me sitting up high on the lift and on a dolly with casters. At the height I work at, a fall will be catastrophic. Another lesson learned by a fellow Maxxer so you won't make the mistake I made. Love, PATMAX
c6e4e820-4f54-0e05.jpg
c6e4e820-4f6a-efc5.jpg
c6e4e820-4f7f-9cc6.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Here is pics of my "FAIL" at a HF lift. After seeing and using CaptainKyles, I had to have one. I got this from Craigslist $209. Condition is good not great. Table wobbled on three casters and did not sit flat. Noticed the front wheel extension as it was too short for the wheel base. It still is too short, look at the rear wheel. So you want to set up an uneven bike? I have no center stand so I got a dolly from Northern Tool. You can use a 2x2 and a 1x4 or what ever combination levels you out under the pipes and I tied it down too cause it worries me sitting up high on the lift and on a dolly with casters. At the height I work at, a fall will be catastrophic. Another lesson learned by a fellow Maxxer so you won't make the mistake I made. Love, PATMAX
c6e4e820-4f54-0e05.jpg
c6e4e820-4f6a-efc5.jpg
c6e4e820-4f7f-9cc6.jpg

Pat I dont know what kind of lift that is ! It might be a HB but its nothing like the one I have !

thats the old school HF one. i have one now myself. uncle got rid of it due to the wicked short wheelbase needed for a bike to be on it. was thinking of making it better, somehow but for right now i just roll it up, put some straps on the handlebars to hold it then jack it up off of the braced swingarm until the CS can be attached and deployed, then lower it back down.

"Patmax," ya shouldn't-have washed it! It shrinked in size!

I am looking at CL daily for something good.

"Patmax," ya shouldn't-have washed it! It shrinked in size!

I am looking at CL daily for something good.

Mr. Medic-
With all due respect.....I believe that should be "shrunk"

Regards
Miles Long
Language Police Officer.
"Keeping the Queen's English proper British"
:rofl_200:

Yes I did wash it when I got it so that comment had me laughing! Guess I will just keep looking for another and sell this one when I find the replacement. I was surprised how heavy it is. $200 bucks for any south Florida guys that have a center stand still !

Miles, I originally wrote "shrunk," but changed it. I thought someone might wonder what that was, so I went with the 'colloquial' form. It may not be the King's English (apologies to Q. Eliz.) but sometimes ya gotta talk like dey do inna trenches.

Ok update.

I am of two minds right now. I could get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-LB-ATV..._Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6c283163

and build a wooden cradle pretty much so that way the wood rests on the lift and the frame rests on the wood.

Or I can get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1100-lbs-Motorcycle-Mini-Lift-Floor-Jack-Stand?item=251012812819&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3D12%26pmod%3D150778377871%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7013321026910600099

It seems to be exactly what I need to lift the frame, but I would think I might actually need two of them, so that way there is no chance of it tiping forward or back. Problem is they look like a bitch to raise and drop.

Thoughts? comments? Concerns?

Attachments

• blue motorcycle lift.jpg
    blue motorcycle lift.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
That does look great, but the problem I have is with the pipes, they are lower than the frame, and are uneven, so thats what the issue with a normal lift is.

That being said.... I am not sure honestly how hard it would be to take off the pipes?

And yes if I went with one like the yellow one I would simply go to harbor freight, Or even that blue one.

Edit, yup. Taking the pipes off would simply too much work. Granted I am thinking it would be pretty easy to build a wood cradle to slide on top of the lift

Back