My first Vmax, got it for $840

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, well thanks for not buying it, I was a little skeptical about it and even made sure I didn't hand over the cash till the bike was in the back of my truck .. got any forks?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

If he bought it back after being totaled by the insurance co, then it would be a salvage or CD-Certificate of Destruction, not allowed to be re-titled. In FL it depends on the degree of damage. If it's salvage (capable of being rebuilt) you have to show all receipts for the parts, and have it inspected by the State. Then they issue a salvage title and frame plate/decal. I bet most states are similar.

http://www.hillstax.org/espanol/vehMotorizadoSpn/dealers/Forms/82363_Rev_0302.pdf

Texas just issues a salvage title when the vehicle is sold by the insurance company. The salvage denotation can never be removed from the title after that.
As far as I know there is nothing more to it than that. It's up to the annual inspection to catch if its too deficient
to operate on the road.

It's really for the protection of buyers and not part of any safety program.

If no insurance claim was filed as a total
loss then there won't be a salvage title.

We get this a lot down here with flood cars that were uninsured. Someone rebuilds them and sells them and the hapless buyer ends up a victim.

Carfax is incapable of catching this.

Ha, well thanks for not buying it, I was a little skeptical about it and even made sure I didn't hand over the cash till the bike was in the back of my truck .. got any forks?

No spare front ends lying around, yet...

Inverted front end for the '94 is on my list though.

Yeah titles here just get a salvage title, not a regular green one. There are several options in Oklahoma to deal with bikes and titles, rebuilds , custom builds etc

I'll have to read about the inverted front, is that the way to go?

Inverted forks give looks, wheel options, better brakes (usually) more weight, and if sprung for your weight - better feel. They cost $1k+... Usually. The custom trees are the most expensive part.

I'm sure there are stock front ends available that would cost less than half that, and you wouldn't have to fiddle with stuff/wait for custom parts. They are not as stiff, but have served plenty of us just fine for collectively hundreds of thousands of miles.

If you just want to get on the road, email Sean and see what he's got at the shop. If you want to open your wallet to the mod monkey, start looking at Inverted front ends.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

So I bought this bike with bill of sale only, and it was registered to progressive insurance. In Oklahoma you can do a title 42 mechanics or storage lien to get title to bike, that's a pain in the ass though, you can also go to court and get a court ordered title, that's what I did and it was easy. Just call court clerk and they'll give you the paperwork. All I needed was a notarized bill of sale. So that takes care of the title. Now it's a salvaged title, so now I take my receipts for parts and repairs, and take the bike to any tag agency for inspection and I'll get a tag ... So all in all I'm out $1400 total for this bike. So anyone from Oklahoma with title questions, this should help

Sweet, sweet! Plenty of guys here on the forum to offer advice and even inexpensive used parts to fix "her" with. Great find!

y4amaty9.jpg

Nice buy! :clapping: If the lower forks aren't cracked or broken anywhere a set of inner tubes would get you on the road for cheap...pretty sure any 43mm tube ('93 - '07) will work.

Already got new ones on, just waiting on my tire from rocky mountain, and handlebars... The handlebars are fine but I bet that's why the guy wrecked it, they're only like 24 inches, you can't even steer it

Latest posts

Back