My next project.... I am just thinking....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
That I ve had some fast bikes and now I am toying with my 318 5 spd Dakota a little.

And then this popped up for sale.....damn it....

00M0M_k68FBfKzG6W_600x450.jpg

$30,000 for it but its only a 4.6 motor.

If I am doing it, I am doing it right and doing a 427.....:biglaugh:

Be like me and say fuck it and go for it. Lol.

A friend of mine has the 427 in his cobra. Its about as evil as it gets. 500 rwhp and not much over 1800lbs, its a handful to say the least.

cobramax3b.jpg

cobramax1b.jpg

Use a modern 5.0 if you want to stay Ford. They are unbelievably quick in a much heavier car. Excellent drivability and durability.

Use a modern 5.0 if you want to stay Ford. They are unbelievably quick in a much heavier car. Excellent drivability and durability.

Read the story of how Steeda came-about, they have a lot of experience w/the 5.0 L & used to have a lot of take-off parts. You can build an iron block w/aluminum heads & the GT-40 intake if you want to stay w/a fuel-injected system, which I think is a good idea for minimizing the maintenance, or old-school w/an Edelbrock 4-bbl & intake. And if you want to go all-aluminum, (block/heads) Ford Motorsports has a lot of parts depending on what type of use and power you want.

The first Shelby Cobras were 260 cu.in. & then they went to the 289's and finally the FE 427 side-oilers, but I think the old-school ones today are probably the 385-series Fords if you are going to a big-block. Then there are all the aftermarket builders which offer all-sorts of layouts/options.

There used to be a Superamerica Cobra replica dealer in Boynton Beach FL, (been there on fire inspections) but I am not sure they are still there. The cars were built in So. Africa & sent w/o drivetrains to the USA, where you chose your powerplant & tranny. The car mags I have read said the Superamerica was a very good build. What is this one?

Not that 5.0 lol. The newest 5.0's! They are amazingly fast.

I have the 4.6 in my Lincoln Mark VIII LSC and even in that heavy car it runs really good. A good friend told me that for a "few grand" he could have mine close to 700hp. I know the LSC has the 4.6 engine that went into the Cobra mustangs and if you look at the valve covers they are HUGE! It looks like a big block with those valve covers compared to the last generation 5.0. I'm no expert but from what some guys who would know have said that the 4.6 is a very desireable build to hot rod motor. I'd at least look into it Todd, anyway.

Gotta be big block if I do a Cobra.

427 would be considered small and honestly I would probably look 540 stroker motor. :)

If your gonna go big, you might as well go really big.

LOL, I do have a 540 setup here (big chevy). It can be taken out to 632 if you really wanted but the 540 leaves more wall thickness.

They are making some crazy HP with the 4.6's now days. Besides, it just motor mounts. You have a mill, make you own mounts and put a LS Ch*vy in it for the cheap hp.

Nothing against the big blocks, but with this car you want the light weight on modern tech as having the slug up front makes them like driving a plow truck. But that is also alot of fun! A couple of shops around here build them. Shell Valley builds a lot of bodies and complete cars, Gessfords builds alot of turn key 427 cars and a guy named Andy Glause has built some hand made aluminum body ones.

Have you ever raced a car on a road course? It is a ton of fun - and addicting. I have done circle, drag and road course, but the road course is a blast.

They are making some crazy HP with the 4.6's now days. Besides, it just motor mounts. You have a mill, make you own mounts and put a LS Ch*vy in it for the cheap hp.

Nothing against the big blocks, but with this car you want the light weight on modern tech as having the slug up front makes them like driving a plow truck. But that is also alot of fun! A couple of shops around here build them. Shell Valley builds a lot of bodies and complete cars, Gessfords builds alot of turn key 427 cars and a guy named Andy Glause has built some hand made aluminum body ones.

Have you ever raced a car on a road course? It is a ton of fun - and addicting. I have done circle, drag and road course, but the road course is a blast.

I ve done roundy roundy once. I ve always wanted to do road course. I figured also an all aluminum big block can't weigh too much more than a small block. I just like the sound of the big motor as well. Can't get the sound of 500+ cubes from a small tiny 4.6 :biglaugh:

Sound is one thing, and I agree nothing sounds better than a big block but I read an article once where than ran 2 corvettes around a track (oval) and one was a 454 and the other a 350 4 bolt main and the results were that the smaller engine was faster around the track saying something about horsepower to weight ratio. I think you be really surprised (I was too) at the size of a 4.6 if it's the one with dual overhead cams like my LSC. It's definetly not tiny and I've seen close to 800hp come from them. But I also agree the feeling of a big block in front of you is hard to beat. I also had a 454 LS6 70 chevelle and a 68 GTX440 super commando. They were both fucking Bad Ass!!

I ve had quite a few potent Pontiac 400-455's and the torque jusr isn't the same. Just like a Vmax. My 750 oil boiler GSXR was as fast as my 86 Vmax. But it was a totally different animal. It came alive where the Vmax signed off. I used to shift at almost 14000 rpm. I wouldn't worry to much about handling honestly, even with a small block they still dont handle like a new car anyways.

I know the 4.6 looks big physically, but its torque I am after.

I will post a picture of the torque monster being built in the back room at my store - 496 with a blower...a friend rents the space for a machine shop.

I ve had quite a few potent Pontiac 400-455's and the torque jusr isn't the same. Just like a Vmax. My 750 oil boiler GSXR was as fast as my 86 Vmax. But it was a totally different animal. It came alive where the Vmax signed off. I used to shift at almost 14000 rpm. I wouldn't worry to much about handling honestly, even with a small block they still dont handle like a new car anyways.

I know the 4.6 looks big physically, but its torque I am after.

Had a '70 RA IV Trans Am. Back then I thought it was the baddest thing ever. And its the one car I would give my left but to have back.

In retrospect though it wasn't really all that bad ass. It just felt like it due to the torque I guess. 1/4 mile times don't lie and 13 second 1/4 times are considered slow now a days. My wife's 350Z would do that stock.

But it was way the fuck more fun. Visceral to say the least.

Back