My next project.... I am just thinking....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a '70 RA IV Trans Am. Back then I thought it was the baddest thing ever. And its the one car I would give my left but to have back.

In retrospect though it wasn't really all that bad ass. It just felt like it due to the torque I guess. 1/4 mile times don't lie and 13 second 1/4 times are considered slow now a days. My wife's 350Z would do that stock.

But it was way the fuck more fun. Visceral to say the least.

Wow! I has a '70 RA IV too! (Mine was blue with the white stripe and saddle) I don't know what it ran like "stock" because as soon as it came in, it went over to the shop for a "Bob-cat" treatment and "Street blueprint" That was a Whole lot of work on an engine that somehow was still legal for "stock" class. (In case others don't know- this was a "package" done by Royal Pontiac in their race shop)

Pontiac would run out of breath at higher RPMs, the Ram air IV opened that up a little. (there was also a ram air V that had real open heads- so much so that they were flat under 5000) When I first got it, I ran low 13s Headers, dropping to a 3.90 rear, and street slicks got it down to the 12.70s. I loved that car and had it up until about 8 years ago (had 34,000 miles on when I sold it ) It was sorta like driving my GTO, but it could go around corners. But like you said, my stock Roush would do 12.50s right off the showroom floor- without headers, high rear gear, and any special tuning.

But the Roush was my last cool car. Now I have an X5

If it is a Cobra has to be a FE 427, Shelby makes some BAD!! stuff for those. You could go aluminium block stroke it out make 600 hp with out even breaking a sweat..I have ran 2 different 427's in my 69 mustang nothing else sounds like them awesome :biglaugh:

We built a 545 stroker out of a 460 setup for a 95 Mustang quite some time ago. The motor was then fitted to a turbo 400 ( custom made bellhousing ), which I don't why we did that, but thats what the boss said to do. It was a pretty mild motor, but man did it make torque.

Jegs has a 509 ci BBC that makes 640 hp and 605 ft lbs complete drop in for $11,000. I don't think you could do it much cheaper for a motor that you can buy and have it to your door in a short time.

Todd

Back