Naked Redbone

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I recently removed my mini windshield to "go naked" with Redbone to see what it would be like.
A couple things came up that has me second guessing the move:
Firstly, the bugs make a big mess of the jacket and helmet. Not a real big deal.
Secondly, I have lost about 25lb recently and the wind is making the looser fitting jacket padding flop around causing problems at speeds over 130 mph.
I could live with the bugs but the jacket problem means it's decision time. Since a new jacket is not in the budget it looks like the windshield is a going back on. I liked the look of Redbone without the windshield too.
Has anyone else had problems like this?

yea my leather jacket has that problem a bit. i was thinking of talking to a chick i know who does seamstress work and sewing in a mesh screen in the back with zippers so air can flow right thru.

don't notice a difference w/ or w/out the windscreen as i only have a flyscreen.

My jacket can do that as well... No biggie to me. I like to sit up and take it like a man... Oh and I prefer it completely naked like my woman... lol

Like Red Green would say, a little duck tape goes a long way! Should fix that problem right up.

Seriously, a week or so ago, I took off the windshield and went for ride wearing a full face helmet - let's just say, I hated it - lots of wind noise, etc...

A couple of days ago, took the windshield off to clean it up good, decided to go for a ride, this time wearing my beanie helmet - felt like I was getting choked to death. Worst thing was I could barely hear the sound of the engine/exhaust.

I agree that the bike looks alot better naked than with a windshield on, but screw that - the windshield went back on real quick.

Mike

yea last time I tried the 90-miles run without windshield my neck and shoulders killed me for the next 10 days! I guess 95mph is not a good naked cruise speed lol..

My jackets are pretty tight, but flapping trousers are often irritating me. I had my leathers sent from UK, but they never arrived :( Tight jeans it is then..

I recently removed my mini windshield to "go naked" with Redbone to see what it would be like.
A couple things came up that has me second guessing the move:
Firstly, the bugs make a big mess of the jacket and helmet. Not a real big deal.
Secondly, I have lost about 25lb recently and the wind is making the looser fitting jacket padding flop around causing problems at speeds over 130 mph.
I could live with the bugs but the jacket problem means it's decision time. Since a new jacket is not in the budget it looks like the windshield is a going back on. I liked the look of Redbone without the windshield too.
Has anyone else had problems like this?

Since it's midsummer, you could always try leaving the windshield AND JACKET at home? :ummm:

I bought this really light mesh jacket with armor earlier this year. It's even got a thin lining that supposedly makes it waterproof, but even that's way too warm for our weather here.

However, I wouldn't dream of going riding without it! And it's 90+ every day..

It's been over 100 every day for a couple weeks here and it is too hot to ride with or without a jacket!!! :tantrum:

Since it's midsummer, you could always try leaving the windshield AND JACKET at home? :ummm:
There is only one method of removing embedded gravel from skin, it's called a wire brush. No thanks.

I wouldn't consider taking my Givi fly screen off. Keeps the wind off the chest.

You could always do what I do: Drink more beer. It keeps my jacket nice and snug.

The only time my Spit Fire comes off is when I'm at the track. It looks cool without it, but I can barely hear my bitchin' Jardines, and as big as I am, I have to really lean into it.

I got a nice joe rocket mesh jacket with that "water proof" inside lining, like you said naughtyG way too warm but just the mesh makes it a lot nicer to drive in but once you stop its way too hot. Figured out that going faster = cooler temps :)

I swaped Vmaxes with my friends stocker the other day. The very first thing I noticed was my helmet lifting off my head from the wind coming off my chest. I couldn't wait to get back on my own bike with my flyscreen.

There is only one method of removing embedded gravel from skin, it's called a wire brush. No thanks.

I wouldn't consider taking my Givi fly screen off. Keeps the wind off the chest.

:ummm: ........aah gee. Am I the only "squid" on this board?

I use a clean, cool, wet wash cloth with a small amount of hand soap to get the dirt, grit and gravel out of all my road rash. :biglaugh:

so even the fly screen makes that much of a difference ey? got a full screen but never put it on yet as im just putting around town mostly. i did notice the helmet lifting a little, just kept my head down and chocked it up to the vmax experience :punk:

I think when it comes to helmets, you get what you pay for. I have had no issues with mine lifting. I have an Arai and a Scorpion EXO-700.

Chris

I always wear full face helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. I also want to get some riding pants as soon as the budget allows.
The wind hitting my chest (50) is the main culprit. My helmet had to be readjusted (tightened)to lessen the buffeting it was taking.
My Givi Airstars windshield is going back on. It's a little larger than the factory mini and must have been doing a hellva good job managing the wind for me. :thumbs up:

I totally agree, its not lifting lots just a tad once and a while but im also like a flag poll sticking out in the wind. got a Ls air 3 not the fanciest but fits nice, also got an arai xd3 but lot more wind noise

Back