New Exhaust for 1st V-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr6874

Reaction score
View attachment 43693Hey everyone. I recently bought my 1st VMax ever and I have a question. It's a '90 model bike with 2800 actual miles and still has everything bone stock on it. I'm having some carb issues at the moment due to the fact that the bike has been sitting up for quite a while. But that's not my question at the moment. I was wanting to know if anyone of you guys have any opinions on Delkevic Exhaust? I am wanting to put a complete system on as soon as I get the carbs straightened out and I can get the Delkevic full exhaust system for around $650. I was wanting to know if it is a good system and a good price? Now I'm not trying to build any kind of race bike or anything, just want a little more power and a good sound other than the stock exhaust!.

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• My Vmax.jpg
    My Vmax.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
I bought the 9" carbon oval slipons and they sound good. I think the head pipes are the same size as the stock so I don't think you will get any significant horsepower boost. But you will make the bike lighter. Less weight = faster. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Since the head pipes are about the same size as stock, it would make sense to only buy the slip-on mufflers and save several hundred dollars.

View attachment 43693Hey everyone. I recently bought my 1st VMax ever and I have a question. It's a '90 model bike with 2800 actual miles and still has everything bone stock on it. I'm having some carb issues at the moment due to the fact that the bike has been sitting up for quite a while. But that's not my question at the moment. I was wanting to know if anyone of you guys have any opinions on Delkevic Exhaust? I am wanting to put a complete system on as soon as I get the carbs straightened out and I can get the Delkevic full exhaust system for around $650. I was wanting to know if it is a good system and a good price? Now I'm not trying to build any kind of race bike or anything, just want a little more power and a good sound other than the stock exhaust!.

Thanks,
Richard

Welcome to the Forum Richard!! I went with a used pair of SuperTrapps and loved the sound. But, it wasn't till I replaced the OEM Header Pipes that not only did I get an increase in power but that also opened the door to what I always wanted. A pair of UFO SlashCuts. Really, what you want to look at is a good used set of Headers and go from there. I personally would go with a 4-2-1 next time instead of my 4-2 set up. That way I could show off my Rims more and buy some cans that are only available for one side.
Check out one2dmax aka Sean Morley or Captain Kyle... Both often can get you exactly what you need for a very reasonable cost..
Good luck!!

Last edited:
C'mon up to thunder in the valley and get a chance to hear many different exhaust first hand. I personally have the dragstar 4 into 1 It's loud and my neighbors know when I'm riding my 85'. I really like the way delkevics look but never heard them in person. Also would you mind changing your print some of us old guy's can't (read) see .. Give a thought to thunder

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! And sorry about the small print. didn't realize it was gonna be that small when I posted it :ummm: As for the Supertrapps, I've never really liked the sound of those myself. I know a lot of people have them, they're just not for me. And thanks especially for the advice about the header pipes. I didn't realize they were the same size as the stock pipes! That'll definitely save a couple Benjamins $$$ As soon as I get my carbs straightened out, the Delvekics are deff going on it! Will kepp you updated on it!

Thanks again!:punk::punk::punk:

I bought the 9" carbon oval slipons and they sound good. I think the head pipes are the same size as the stock so I don't think you will get any significant horsepower boost. But you will make the bike lighter. Less weight = faster. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Please explain... Why would someone replace a set of Aftermarket Headers that are the same diameter as stock?? Never heard of that:ummm:

I suspect they don't sell many headers. I have no idea why they would make the same size headers. I did a bit of research when I bought my slip ons and I am pretty sure the head pipes were the same size.

Not sure about the max but some headers on jap bikes have double skin wall reducing the ID of the pipe.

This is exactly true for the vmax... Many aftermarket headers are even smaller than stock... ON THE OUTSIDE!!!. The aftermarket are not double walled... so inner diameter is BIGGER... All of them... No fabricator would ever make same size or even narrower headers as no one would buy them like mentioned earlier.

Back