New guy. stupid ?'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHSteve

Reaction score
How can I tell if my Max has already been lowered??? :ummm:

Also interested in the Furber Fix but have no center stand to keep bike level and front end up. :bang head:

if your bike has been lowered your kickstand has been shortened. The little knob that you would push the kickstand down with your foot. Won't be much past the back of the foot peg. Other wise it will be past it about 2 - 2 1/2"

G

You won't need a Furbur fix anyway if the bearings are good and the tension is correctly set. Look for the videos on here, youtube, and facebook. Jack it up by the front of the oil pan.

How about a picture of the bike in question too?

Sean

if your bike has been lowered your kickstand has been shortened. The little knob that you would push the kickstand down with your foot. Won't be much past the back of the foot peg. Other wise it will be past it about 2 - 2 1/2"

G

Not quite true Gannon. The bike can still be lowered and using the stock kickstand and sitting more upright. Mine was like that for a long time.
If the bike has stock rear shocks it hasn't been lowered in the back. Usually in the front people lower them by sliding the forks upward on the trees. Or internally but thats far too more complicated than just sliding the forks upwards. If you have aftermarket rear shocks just measure them hole to hole and check if its less than 13.5" with no weight on them (if i recall correctly the stock shocks are this long)

OEM rear shocks measure about 13" center to center

OEM forks measure about 34" from the top of the fork tube (not including fork cap) to the C/L of the axle with no weight on the bike.

Aftermarket shocks are typically lower the bike in 1/2" increments. ie. 12.5", 12", 11.5".

Forks are typically lowered in 1" increments with progressive lowering springs. If someone made there own spacer blocks from PVC it can be lowered about any amount. 2" is typically the max on stock forks.

These figures aren't gospel but should get you pointed in the right direction.

Not quite true Gannon. The bike can still be lowered and using the stock kickstand and sitting more upright. Mine was like that for a long time.
If the bike has stock rear shocks it hasn't been lowered in the back. Usually in the front people lower them by sliding the forks upward on the trees. Or internally but thats far too more complicated than just sliding the forks upwards. If you have aftermarket rear shocks just measure them hole to hole and check if its less than 13.5" with no weight on them (if i recall correctly the stock shocks are this long)

AWE YES! Very true... I guess I was trying to get to the point of complete lower job! Shocks and the fork tubes are a good place to look too. My bike I have the internal lowering done on the forks , kickstand has been shortened. But the rear shocks are longer than stock. So I could keep the stock mounting loacations on my 3" stretched swingarm. So the shocks again might be deceiving if you do not know what you are looking at. I keep forgetting about the new comers and the fact that they are asking questions about things we veterans automatically just pick up on, damn !:bang head: So I guess the true verdict would be a couple of pictures of the bike in question :eusa_dance:

Thanks for keeping me inline! G

Awesome! TY all very much. Can't post a pic right now (at work) but I do have a public album with plenty of pics w/ more to come.

I dont think sean ment to use the oil pan to lift the bike. I think he mean's lift it in the frame area in front of the oil pan. If need be you can remove the oil filter and reinstall a new one and top off oil when you are done. I put my bike on the center stand and use the cross bar that is in front of the oil filter. Make sure you center your jack in front of the oil filter and lift in a even way so you dont flip the bike. If you dont have a center stand you will need a $99 rear bike stand to work on your bike. you might find a way to use a motorcycle jack but be vary carfull not to smash amything. You want the bike stable when you are working on it. I watch sean vidio and did what he said to do and my bike dont wobble or shake at all until i get to 136mph and than it just starts to have a vary small feel of a shake.

my bike dont wobble or shake at all until i get to 136mph and than it just starts to have a vary small feel of a shake.

I feel sorry for you guys that get the wobble....I've never experienced it.
So does that mean you don't know what it feels like to peg the speedo on the Max?:clapping:

Breath taking:punk:

picture.php

I fiqured it out...........

Kind of hard to tell, the picture is pretty small.
But it does look like you have a stock seat. If your seat height is 30.1" your not lowered.

Stock shocks, rear has not been lowered.
Judging by the length of the OEM lines, looks like the front is at stock height too. Could always measure them as previously mentioned

picture.php

Need a more straight on picture. so you can see the ground clearance and the space between the rear fender and tire.

G

Looks stock to me with some souptraps, different grips and no make-up chromed accesories...

I'd agree it's stock height. Only way it could be lowered is if it was done internally. The air crossover valve is still in place. With the minimal non OEM parts I would bet it's stock.

Sean

Back