new owner few questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khuenefeldt

Reaction score
Hi. I just picked up a 95 Vmax 1200 w/ 7K miles. I've had several motorcycles, but i have a couple questions.

1. 10w40 oil? I have no manual. Yamalube good with the clutch? Also where to get the oil filter and how much oil does it hold?
2. Normal driving... where are good shift points at? I don't want to lug the motor. I had a vs800 and it was made to shift high
3. Anything i need to watch out for on these? My temp gauge reads usually a little less than half. I havne't seen any leaks anywhere...anything i need to do preventive?
4. Do i need to run premium gas?
5. Any online manuals for these?

Thanks guys.

Kevin

Congratulation on your new ride. 10W40 is great. Any major brand will do. Filters are available at automotive parts places. For normal driving you won't need a lot of Rpm's and 2-3K is good for getting around and even less. At times the Max can get a little touchy on stop and turn situations and wants to charge out, be careful. Temp gage is good. Regular gas only, no high test. Buy a Clymer manual for the Max.

There is a sight glass toward the bottom right side of the engine for the oil level. While on center stand, add oil to fill glass. On the outside are low and full marks. Good luck.

You have come to the best forum on the net ! Welcome and congrats and ride safe. You can find online help to download here;

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/index.html

Feel free to ask questions, people here are always willing to help.

There's also a link on the outlaw site to about a 1000 different automotive filters that will fit the max.

I've been using a Mobil M-110

ha...thanks guys....

I got 2 more questions. I'm sure they will keep coming too :)

Where do you all put the paperwork at for your bike? Is there a storage place? I can't find a spot to put it :confused2:

What exactly is Vboost?

i run 10-50 semi syntheic in mine. i use my wallet for my insur,reg, and inspect sticker. no real storage except for the tool pouch under the seat. vboost is the opening of the secondaries like on a4 barrel carbrator. about 6,000 rpms is when its fully open. when you go from say 4000 to 6000 trust me you'll feel it. its like an extra burst of speed. hang on and have fun. this bike can be a hand ful so watch it in corning.

Rear end likes to get loose. The owner before me put a new tire on the back, but bike as a lot of power. I have learned not to punch it coming out of a corner.. :rofl_200: ...and to watch punching it anything less than 30mph....i'm only 162 lbs so the front end comes up in the air.

I have opened it up a couple times, and u pretty much just have to hold on for dear life... Wow this thing is fast!!!

Before I went to radials spinning the rear tire around corners broadside was one of my favorite things to do.Tokyo drift.Spinning ,sqealing wheelies was too.My wife did not enjoy this as much as me though.Thats why she rides her own fazer now.She also always thought that she was going to hit her head on the road every time that I did a wheelie.

Before I went to radials spinning the rear tire around corners broadside was one of my favorite things to do.Tokyo drift.Spinning ,sqealing wheelies was too.My wife did not enjoy this as much as me though.Thats why she rides her own fazer now.She also always thought that she was going to hit her head on the road every time that I did a wheelie.

LOL... I remember doing that too. That is the only "downside" to going to radials. I loved drifting around the corners.... went through a lot of back tires that way too.

Welcome,
I put the papers for the bike in a zip lock baggi. It is stored under the Faux cover between the air box and the coolant tank.

Say if your bikeis mostly stock, consider getting a "T-boost" kit. Great fun for the money. Opens the V-boost system at 3K rather than 6K. It is switchable also

lol...this thing is already too fast for me...i don't think any mods right now. It has a brand new tire on it...but i'm only a $1.60...so i romp on the throttle at 35mph and still spinning the back tire!

I absolutely love the looks of the bike and the power too, but there are a few things i don't like.

1. Bike is so heavy to move....i can barely put it up on the center stand!
2. The pegs are in the wrong position. When trying to move the bike back, my feet have slipped and i have some hella-bruises on my shins :worthy:
3. Front end is light. I may be spinning at 35mph, but the front end has about no grip to turn the bike

*granted most of these things are because i'm romping on the throttle :punk:

I know the reviews have been bad for the vmax in cornering....but i don't have any problems throwing it in a corner. The susepension is set to the max, but my weight is so light that it is very stiff for me - no pogo.

this bike is balls fast....WOW

Oh one more thing....

I don't like the oil filter setup. It was hard to get off...and even harder to get back on.... I thought maybe the threads were messed up...but then i realized what i did....there's two notches and i bent on of the notches tightening it against the motor...i guess it has to be lined up just right. It sealed fine agasint the motor...but i might end up buying a new filter cover for $58 from powersportspro :worthy: *banging my head on the table*

ehh! I undid the filter a little...straightened it up so the notch wasn't pinched...re tightened it and examined. The notch in the filter cover broke off....i started the bike and checked it out and the oil was leaking...so i had to get another cover... :S won't do that again! Least it was only a $50 mistake

If you need a new fifty dollar cover, you may want to think about one of the spin-on filter adapters.

I saw those.....would def. make life easier.

I read something that you have to bend the crossover arm so the filter will fit? Anyone done this?

I saw those.....would def. make life easier.

I read something that you have to bend the crossover arm so the filter will fit? Anyone done this?
I don't think bending the cross-brace is a good idea. It will weaken it and also make it shorter. You would have to either buy a new one or find one at a junk yard from a later model Max.

Back