Newbie - 2012 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc1611

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the forum and Vmax's. I recently purchased a 2012 Gen 2 for $11K (good deal or meh?). Just wondering if there is anything I should look out for on this model? As far as I know, this is a stock bike aside from a wrap, rear turn signals eliminated and front ones updated. Thanks!vmax.jpg

I see it has new mirrors too!

i hated the stock sound, replaced the mufflers and cat with delkovic. Did the air box mod, and then ordered a Nash flash. Much better bike. I also went to the taller rear tire (Avon as I recall) to get the Speedo closer.

enjoy!

Idk what mileage it has but it seems like a fair price to me. I paid 10k for my 2009 3 months ago.

Not many major issues with 2nd Gens I'm aware of though. Considering the age of the bike probably worth looking into some of the maintenance stuff, especially fluids. The brake fluid in mine looked like coffee when I first got it.

There are tons of mods you can do to these bikes, but that's all up to you. An ECU flash can really wake these bike up though, not that they need it.

Idk what mileage it has but it seems like a fair price to me. I paid 10k for my 2009 3 months ago.

Not many major issues with 2nd Gens I'm aware of though. Considering the age of the bike probably worth looking into some of the maintenance stuff, especially fluids. The brake fluid in mine looked like coffee when I first got it.

There are tons of mods you can do to these bikes, but that's all up to you. An ECU flash can really wake these bike up though, not that they need it.
Yeah, I’ve looked into a flash, but figured I’d feel it out a bit more first. Thanks!

It’s whatever you want it to be
In my opinion ride it for a good year put the boots to it they are very tough bikes get use to it
I’m personally a stealth mode kind of guy and squeeze it where I can a nash flash is really worth the money
Not sure about all the other stuff seems unnecessary for me But to each their own
I can prettty much guarantee you can’t outride that bike it’s a freaky scary bitch some days for size and weight it responds very well enjoy best fun you can have with your pants on
Cheers
Peter

Hey Guys, I am brand new to this bike as well although I have always wanted one since they came out!
1st Gen 1985, the V-boost is out. I was told by the P.O.(of 30 years) that the control module needs replaced?
I've got a used one coming from eBay, hope it works!!P1130326.JPG
got an outstanding deal on this one.

Praise God!!!

What kind of mileage does your 09 have on it? Was wondering if it’s higher being the brake fluid looked so black. I picked up a 09 last year #262 10,500 on mine I so love it. It’s dam near as exciting as my R1.

It is an '85 with 14,000 on it.
I will definitely check the brake fluid!
All fluids, really!!

Welcome, brother, to the scary bike club trust me, you don't need Vboost,nice to have, but this creature can rip your arms off without it have fun, I do and which god there are a few .

correctly said "scary bike" fixed the v-boost and wow!
first to second the rear tire cuts loose, second to third the front tire comes off the ground!!

Praise God!!!

Hello everyone. New to the forum and Vmax's. I recently purchased a 2012 Gen 2 for $11K (good deal or meh?). Just wondering if there is anything I should look out for on this model? As far as I know, this is a stock bike aside from a wrap, rear turn signals eliminated and front ones updated. Thanks!View attachment 90364
Nice looking ride! Welcome from Montana.

Hey Guys, I am brand new to this bike as well although I have always wanted one since they came out!
1st Gen 1985, the V-boost is out. I was told by the P.O.(of 30 years) that the control module needs replaced?
I've got a used one coming from eBay, hope it works!!View attachment 90377
got an outstanding deal on this one.

Praise God!!!
Welcome, brother, to the scary bike club trust me, you don't need Vboost,nice to have, but this creature can rip your arms off without it have fun, I do and which god there are a few .
Welcome, you want VBoost operational because that's how it comes from the factory. The sensation of properly-functioning VBoost is unique to the VMax. The best comparison would be a literbike or a Hayabusa coming on the cam(s).

When the VBoost is working, when you turn on the ignition, the VBoost cycles through its closed-open-closed cycle. One of the reasons I've owned a VMax for 30 years is VBoost. It's really fun. If you ride two-up I'd be very careful with the VBoost, as you can find yourself pulling a gigantic wheelie when you may not want to, like being in the presence of a LEO, who is sure to take a very dim view of your bike's front wheel altitude! Here in FL you can get a four-figure ticket for that.

Something you can try once the VBoost is working, remove the left scoop and search for the round electrical plug. If you turn on the ignition, and wait for the VBoost to cycle to its 'open' position and then unplug the VBoost connector, you will have the butterflies open, so it's VBoost all the time. You will notice a difference in the idle, it sounds like a small-block Chevy V8 idling. You can ride around like that, and feel the difference between normal operation and the electrical connection unplugged way. It's probably actually slower like that because the purpose of the VBoost is to have rapid intake air/fuel velocity at smaller throttle openings and more fuel to each cyl at higher RPM, as the VBoost opens.

VMax VBoost operation RPM.png

Back