Newbie - 2012 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, you want VBoost operational because that's how it comes from the factory. The sensation of properly-functioning VBoost is unique to the VMax. The best comparison would be a literbike or a Hayabusa coming on the cam(s).

When the VBoost is working, when you turn on the ignition, the VBoost cycles through its closed-open-closed cycle. One of the reasons I've owned a VMax for 30 years is VBoost. It's really fun. If you ride two-up I'd be very careful with the VBoost, as you can find yourself pulling a gigantic wheelie when you may not want to, like being in the presence of a LEO, who is sure to take a very dim view of your bike's front wheel altitude! Here in FL you can get a four-figure ticket for that.

Something you can try once the VBoost is working, remove the left scoop and search for the round electrical plug. If you turn on the ignition, and wait for the VBoost to cycle to its 'open' position and then unplug the VBoost connector, you will have the butterflies open, so it's VBoost all the time. You will notice a difference in the idle, it sounds like a small-block Chevy V8 idling. You can ride around like that, and feel the difference between normal operation and the electrical connection unplugged way. It's probably actually slower like that because the purpose of the VBoost is to have rapid intake air/fuel velocity at smaller throttle openings and more fuel to each cyl at higher RPM, as the VBoost opens.

View attachment 90439
You meant small block ford right?? 😆

You meant small block ford right?? 😆
I like Fords, I had a '70 Mustang 3-speed convertible, and a '76 Econoline Windsor 351 V8 I had for 17 years, and it visited Canada from south FL several times.

I've been watching some old cop TV shows, one is M Squad, set in late 1950's Chicago, b & w, starring Lee Marvin, probably the fastest-talking TV cop besides Broderick Crawford of Highway Patrol. "I'm Frank Ballanger, lieutenant detective of M Squad, a special detail of the Chicago Police... ." That's how Lee Marvin opens each episode.

The cool thing about the show is trying to ID all the 1940's/'50's cars that appear as Frank is caning his Ford police car, unmarked, of course, through the Chicago streets. The show evidently had a deal with Ford, because all the PD cars are Fords, and the bad guys/gals' cars, too, sometimes a Mercury or a Lincoln (that last one usually reserved for the 'Mob' guys). One I like is the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser:

1691261395448.png

Which I've seen a few times, though not like the VW Beetle in the Bullitt car chase scene. The 1958 model had the cubic inches, a 383 and a 430.

So, if you want to think of the SBC being a BBF, your choice.

Back