Newbie to the Forum / Newbie to the V-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, a lot of max's with side cars. Mostly a Europe thing.

Sean

From what I hear, you can play around with those Rocket's on ONE wheel pretty easily.

Hahaha ... I think the rocket is a lot like the Vmax in several ways. In particular, it has amazing bottom end torque. Neither the rocket or the Vmax will do 180mph down the freeway, but they can absolutely tear up the streets between red lights, and probably beat out nearly any bike out there until we both (rockets and 'maxes) lose it on the top end.

For me personally, I have no need to go 180mph on the freeway, but I love the neck snapping accel that both the rocket and the vmax deliver. I've had sport bikes, and they take a while to wind up. Unless you launch them at a high RPM, they just don't deliver that same feeling of raw power right off the line.

Some of the obvious differences is that the Vmax is much narrower, sits higher, it feels a bit lighter, and the higher revving engine is instantly noticeable. The rocket is like driving a sofa chair at slow speeds because it has a low COG, and its fun to surprise the hell out of unsuspecting victims because they see this fat beast of a motorcycle and just don't expect that it can get up and move. Also, I love that both bikes are fairly uncommon.

Both bikes are a blast to drive, which is of course, why I am here and why I am in a serious search for a Vmax rather than a second Rocket as some of my buddies on the Rocket Forum are encouraging me to get.

Yep, a lot of max's with side cars. Mostly a Europe thing.

Sean

Thanks Sean: I'll have to check out some of those pics. Hopefully I can resist the temptation of getting a second sidecar! The Vmax makes a lot of sense for a hack due to its high torque. The extra weight is quite noticeable and it takes a strong bike to pull them. Not enough power and you'll quickly find yourself relegated to the back roads and absolutely afraid of taking it on the freeway.

BTW: Regarding your '03 max, I am looking for something a bit newer, but I do appreciate the offer. I suppose the right bike would catch my interest, but I'm hoping to find something locally before I cast the net wider. I'll definitely keep your rig in mind.

[PS: Apologies to all about the numerous posts ... I was trying to get through all the various questions. Many thanks to you all for the very warm welcome. It is most appreciated. -GL]

Get one of Seans seats and lower it a bit and the bike becomes a different animal!

Seans bike is an '05 with custom paint.

Remember you can use the multi-quote button. Just hit each post you want to quote and then hit the quote button on the last post you want to post and you'll have them all there in one post to quote...

WOW! That's a lot of post and quote in one sentence...

i think it'd be worth it for you to check out sean's, it would leave his shop EXACTLY how you want it. its an 05 as well.

Get one of Seans seats and lower it a bit and the bike becomes a different animal!

Seans bike is an '05 with custom paint.

Remember you can use the multi-quote button. Just hit each post you want to quote and then hit the quote button on the last post you want to post and you'll have them all there in one post to quote...

WOW! That's a lot of post and quote in one sentence...

i think it'd be worth it for you to check out sean's, it would leave his shop EXACTLY how you want it. its an 05 as well.

Sean: If you get a chance, post up some pics and specs on the bike. I thought it was older, but somebody here mentioned that all the '03+ bikes are the same save for the paint. If that is the case, then I could broaden my search to '03 through '07.

about $600-$700 to ship it last I checked but price may be higher or lower depending on your area.

The bike is different then the very first pic since it has been put all back to stock (except the solid mounts and overdrive trans). As noted, we can build it (or I have other chassis's too) however you would like. I even have a 1500 that hasn't been spoken for yet but that would make the price jump a good measure.

Sean

about $600-$700 to ship it last I checked but price may be higher or lower depending on your area.

The bike is different then the very first pic since it has been put all back to stock (except the solid mounts and overdrive trans). As noted, we can build it (or I have other chassis's too) however you would like. I even have a 1500 that hasn't been spoken for yet but that would make the price jump a good measure.

Sean

Yeah, I shipped my bike to Indiana earlier in the year for the 2009 Dealer Expo down there in Indianapolis. It cost about $700.00 each way (sans sidecar). Travel for my wife and I ended up being far more than it cost to ship the bike.

So it is very doable in terms of shipping. I just wish it was local so that I could check it out here.

I agree though. Hard to buy a bike without seeing it in person. You could always get a greyhound bus ride down and ride the bike back! Save you money and worst case you ride the bus back home.

Sean

I agree though. Hard to buy a bike without seeing it in person. You could always get a greyhound bus ride down and ride the bike back! Save you money and worst case you ride the bus back home.

Sean

agreed. altho i'd be a bit more apt to do it with you selling it.

Latest posts

Back