noobie here and to v max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomone

Reaction score
Greetings and happy new year to all. I'm a new kid n the block for the forum and to the v-max, returning from not riding in like 20 years...
Just picked up a used 99 that has been siting for at least two years in a garage. The poor thing had 1/4 of an inch of dust all over. Needless to say it will need some TLC. First on the agenda are draining and replacing of all fluids, sparks and filters; new battery and then see if it fires up. I know it needs breakes all around so that will be next. Seems to have a bit of leaking oil but have not had time to really get into it as I will pick it up today from the PO. I have been reading quite a bit on the type of oil, plugs etc that everyone is using, quite a viriety. Any ways, I should be looking at more threads and most likeley posting some as I encounter issues.
Is there anything else you guys advice to do right off the back?

Thanks

Pull the plugs and shoot some oil down into the cylinders. Remove the stator insert and turn the engine over a few times by hand. Put the new plugs in (and all your other fluids) and fire it up. It's going to smoke for probably 20 minutes but after that you should be all good (provided it was good when they quit riding it).

Brakes may only need bled and fluid changed if the pads are OK (usually they are unless brake or fork oil saturated them).

Carbs are likely going to be seriously gummed up but you might get lucky.

Sean Morley

Greetings and happy new year to all. I'm a new kid n the block for the forum and to the v-max, returning from not riding in like 20 years...
Just picked up a used 99 that has been siting for at least two years in a garage. The poor thing had 1/4 of an inch of dust all over. Needless to say it will need some TLC. First on the agenda are draining and replacing of all fluids, sparks and filters; new battery and then see if it fires up. I know it needs breakes all around so that will be next. Seems to have a bit of leaking oil but have not had time to really get into it as I will pick it up today from the PO. I have been reading quite a bit on the type of oil, plugs etc that everyone is using, quite a viriety. Any ways, I should be looking at more threads and most likeley posting some as I encounter issues.
Is there anything else you guys advice to do right off the back?

Thanks

i'd say get it running first, do all the simple stuff. then tackle any other issues you may find. if its been sitting check for mice in the airbox n such..

Congrads & welcome !!! my 2 cents - double check your tires - you don't want old tires on your powerful new toy even if the tread looks good. Enjoy & stay safe - Rich

Congrads & welcome !!! my 2 cents - double check your tires - you don't want old tires on your powerful new toy even if the tread looks good. Enjoy & stay safe - Rich

good call. check for cracks n shit even if the tread is still good.

sitting without being touched for yrs could def have problems.

for $150 shipped u can get shinko tournmasters from bike bandit, which i might recommend even if you think your tires are OK.

wash and wax it, it will make all the other dirty work easier, and nice to look at while your doing it, i'm kinda retarded so you might want to go with other opions. dave

Welcome to the forum. You will either like me or hate me for my honesty.
Congrats on your 99!
The first thing I would do is what 190 says clean her up first a good wash. After draining the gas I would put some fresh name brand gas 87 octane such as Shell, Amaco, Sunoco etc Also we all love Seafoam here which can be purchased at your local automotive store for around 8.00 for a can which is white and has red lettering called Seafoam.
I would add Seafoam to the gas and also to the oil, fire it up and let it run to normal operating tempature and then change the oil and filter with some fresh oil of your choice (Oil is religion here and tends to get heated) There is no right or wrong oil we all have our opinions I would follow your manual and use the recomended weight though...
Dont dig to deep yet since doing to much on a bike your not familiar can induce problems remember the modo "KISS" Keep it Simple Stupid" Any thing that doesnt seem right post questions, read the service manual which can be downloaded free at the VMAXOUTLAW.COM site.

Big HEY HO,...welcome ZOO,..great to have you aboard. Lankee's spot on ,...but I've yet to find seafoam here in Canukdom,..Tires are paramount,.don't want to make any unscheduled get offs once you get that steed up to speed.
All good info in here ,..and more than anxious peeps in here to help you out any way they can.

Welcome Zoo! Wash, follow all the advice given and Keep it shiny side up. Put kickstand up when moving it around, kill switch is not engaged, it has gas in it, nothing is unplugged etc etc. it's always the stupid shit 90% of the time. :biglaugh:

Big HEY HO,...welcome ZOO,..great to have you aboard. Lankee's spot on ,...but I've yet to find seafoam here in Canukdom,..Tires are paramount,.don't want to make any unscheduled get offs once you get that steed up to speed.
All good info in here ,..and more than anxious peeps in here to help you out any way they can.

No Seafoam in Canader-eh? HOLY COW, how do you ever keep yer max's running up there?? :ummm:

Welcome Zoomone.

Plenty of good advice here already. On any second-hand performance machine of unknown service status, once I got it running I would follow the Yamaha owners manual & service manual and give the beast a FULL SERVICE before risking your life at warp speeds.

I had some scary moments with my '86 and found out some retarded PO or mechanic had managed to omit a spacer in the rear wheel assembly, and the spacer between the front wheel bearings was also missing! :bang head:

Also Richwrench made a great point - old tires can be deadly.

Below is a link to the manuals to get ya started - if you can't get it running you'll get all the help you'll ever need here and more! :eusa_dance:

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html (just hit 'Vmax Tech & Info' on the left and there they are :clapping:

You should be able to find Seafoam in any place that sells boating supplies. That is where I pick up mine.

Hello
Check for an Auto Parts Plus store if you have one and if not
try
www.seafoamsales.com

Grant

See,...what did i tell ya ,...mention any thing of uncertainty ,..and its like gettin a cut at a paramedic convention,...they jump over one another to paddle ya,.......CLEAR....

:thumbs up: :worthy:,..thx guys ,...havent looked to hard for it yet ,...but I'm sure I'll find it.

Welcome,
I have the exact background as you. Had been out of biking
for about 18 years and picked up my 89 about 7 months ago.
This site saved my ass 80 different ways. Before you go Banzai
also check for front end death wobble. Could mean a change
of steering head bearings are needed.
Congrats on picking the best damn powercruiser on the planet.
Chris

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice, I know I will be needing more soon as I start getting into it. So far she's been washed and is now in the garage waiting for some TLC. Can't wait to start on it!

Back