VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe4550

Reaction score
was doing a burn out today on my 85 max (yeahhhh not 2 good for the bike i know but they look good lol) and after i had finished there was oil all over the place over my engine top to bottom. on first thought i thought i had blown a gasket, thankfully not tho. it all came from the line from my crank case breather on the air box end (was disconnected so didn't fill my air-box with oil. but was wondering anyone know why this happened? and how to stop it happening again?

i have reconnected the crank case breather line to the air-box again but if it happens again isn't my air-box going to get filled with oil and then into the carbs?

thanks for any help!

i found oil spewed all the carbs one day. the same thing as you. when i replaced the airbox i forgot to connect the breather hose. i haven't had any issues with it popping loose since i pushed it back into place. of course, i ain't burning out either hehehehehe.

iv been looking (franticly) over the forums and apparently its normal at very high revs?? (like those of a burn out lol) and the oil just goes into the top of the carbs and into the engine where it is burnt up apparently.. hummm

Piston ring blow by, plus those pistons themselves moving up and down, pressurizes the crankcase. It can't be avoided any engine does this...The pressurized breather tube is also getting sucked on by the air box and is supposed to put that back down the carbs. The box has a little air/oil separator that's supposed to let the vapor through and trap the oil so it can run back down the tube into the engine when the high pressure in the crank case ceases to exist.

Putting the tube back is all you need to do to stop this, as long as the tube isn't plugged or the little air/oil separator isn't plugged up or gummed up it will do it's job. There is a little filter thingie in there you might check if it doesn't drain back into the engine. It's under the little cover towards the rear on the inside of the air box. I've never seen one plug up though unless it was on an engine with really bad rings that was pushing a LOT of oil up the tube.

Piston ring blow by, plus those pistons themselves moving up and down, pressurizes the crankcase. It can't be avoided any engine does this...The pressurized breather tube is also getting sucked on by the air box and is supposed to put that back down the carbs. The box has a little air/oil separator that's supposed to let the vapor through and trap the oil so it can run back down the tube into the engine when the high pressure in the crank case ceases to exist.

Putting the tube back is all you need to do to stop this, as long as the tube isn't plugged or the little air/oil separator isn't plugged up or gummed up it will do it's job. There is a little filter thingie in there you might check if it doesn't drain back into the engine. It's under the little cover towards the rear on the inside of the air box. I've never seen one plug up though unless it was on an engine with really bad rings that was pushing a LOT of oil up the tube.

thanks very much for all this info its great always a worry when things i cant explain happen! thanks again!

Do what I do....

Ignore any problem for a while..Sometimes they go away:biglaugh:

not sounding like the best plan but may have 2 just upgrade 2 a stage 7 dynojet kit (as it has a puke tank) i no its not a solution for the problem but any excuse 2 upgrade eh! lol

If you have a full header you can go to the stage seven. BUT, the front vent tubes running into the filters simply mists oil into the carbs which is great for gumming them up. Besides, our kit makes more overall power.

Sean

If you have a full header you can go to the stage seven. BUT, the front vent tubes running into the filters simply mists oil into the carbs which is great for gumming them up. Besides, our kit makes more overall power.

Sean

ok Sean, i have a stage 7. And tubes connected to the front 2 k&n filters.
what do you do with these tubes. and would i retain the boost bottle ?
anything that keeps from gumming carbs i good in my book.

I have had one of the boost bottles apart. and noticed it has a chamber for oil. which will drain into the crank through either of the larger tubes. and the top 2 tubes. seam to relieve pressure. :ummm: (vent ? )

With Sean's kit the larger tube coming from the oil fill cap location "tee's" into the factory breather system that is in the stock airbox. So there is no need for the puke can or tubes to filters.

With Sean's kit the larger tube coming from the oil fill cap location "tee's" into the factory breather system that is in the stock airbox. So there is no need for the puke can or tubes to filters.

can this be done without using the stock air box?
or should i can the k & n's and put the stocker back on ?

What exhaust. Unless you are running a full header then it's not worth taking off. Plus, losing the airbox will also lose mid range and low end power.

i think i figured the problem took the air-box appart and found the puke tank full of crap cruddy old old oil filling and blocking the hole have cleaned it all out so shud be ok now i think (i hope anyways)

thanks for the help tho guys

Attachments

• 19042011244.jpg
    19042011244.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 70
Ok, no sweat on the header and if you want top end only we can sell you a stage seven kit (we are a DJ dealer). BUT, our kit makes the same peak power with more midrange and low end (plus it's cheaper).

Sean

Ok, no sweat on the header and if you want top end only we can sell you a stage seven kit (we are a DJ dealer). BUT, our kit makes the same peak power with more midrange and low end (plus it's cheaper).

Sean

i already have a stage 7

i got a stage seven and 4-1 kerker with the comp baffel. i have no more vboost it is always on. and i love it. i have all the power i want.

Back