Oil Leak Left side of motor under left cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMO

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I noticed last fall that my Vmax was leaking on the left side of the motor. Now its on my kickstand and although not dripping it is making a mess, and sometimes will leave drops of oil on the ground (so maybe it is dripping?).

This leak is on the left hand side of the motor above the kickstand. I feel like its coming from the left roundish cover with the circle pattern on it . I cant tell buy looking under it as there is oil blown everywhere. Any ideas on where it might be coming from? Soon as it gets warm enough ill try to get some engine degreaseer and clean it up to see if i can see where it might be coming from. I mean how many places can it leak from on that side? Any tips on replacing this Gasket? Sean Morley if you are reading this can you get me a new gasket for that cover? Sorry guys I cant tell what the name of that cover is on the owners manual and i dont have my clymers with me. Ill see if i can find a good pic of that area and post it. it might be called left crankcase cover.

there are two covers there, smaller middle gear and larger stator cover. you can go around and double check non of the bolts are loose. otherwise ya order them up and chg, will need a little patients getting the old gaskets off.
just chg mine, was getting oil all over my boots plus running down bike when driving on the highway for long periods, was ok on short hops but a pain non the less.

Thanks Tugla. I checked the bolts last fall. they seemed tight enough but one did move a 3rd turn or so if i remember right. Its the big cover. you can see a little bit of seepage on top of the cover at a gasket area. but the bottom must be leaking alot more.

depends, i also had the leak only on the top, i did find that if i had any more then half the site glass of oil, which is full anyways, the leak was worse, but at that line or a blond one under that no more leaking.

Could be your stator grommet and/or your shift shaft seal.

Thanks Mike. I thought it might be that #2 gasket leaking. But Mark has got me wondering now. I guess the only way to tell is clean it up and keep an eye on it? It looks like if it is just that #2 gasket all I have to do is take tat one cover off and i can replace it.
Thanks again

The gaskets are not hard to change just put a pan under that side to catch about 1/4 cup of oil and u will have to remove the middle gear cover to get the stator cover off.

pretty easy to do, just a gasket and put back the three gears that will fall off when you pull the cover, they go back in self explanatory. or can find a image if you have a manual.

Should be pics on here to show the gear sequence but you can't really get them to go on wrong (I don't think). You will probably want to replace both gaskets (stator and middle gear) but likely it's the grommet around the wire bundles in the stator cover. You can clean and silicon them up which will stop the leak if done right. You will want to pull the stator cover off and get access (middle gear cover has to come off first). Once it's off then you can pull the wires through the grommets IN TO the inside of the cover. Clean and dry the wiring and grommets thoroughly using something like brake and parts cleaner. Then put silicon all around the base of the wiring (from the inside of the cover) and then pull the wires back into place. This will pull some silicon back in and around the wires helping to seal it up. You can add a bit more around the wires (again on the inside of the cover) to build up a barrier.

If the seal around the clutch pushrod is bad it usually swells the seal on the clutch slave. The shift shaft can also be a leak point but usually it's farther back under the middle gear cover at the rear of the cover. Of course wind blows that stuff all over so it's really hard to diagnose.

I keep all the seals and cover gaskets on hand at all times.

Sean

When did they change the stator wires from the cloth covered ones? It could be from that.

Latest posts

Back