Oil leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miket0072003

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 V-Max, very clean, always kept inside, 14,000 miles. The only issue is a small oil leak, a small drop occasionally. I think it may be coming from the oil sensor. The leak is on the left side down low, but above the neutral switch.
Anyone seen this before?

Could be your stator grommet. Remove square rubber cover for the clutch bleeder. The grommet is the one with 3 white wires coming through it. Oil likes coming through there. A bit of ultra black rtv will help.

I would change the clutch push rod seal while you are in that deep. That seal fits in the engine very loosely. I pressed my new seal in place with one thumb. After I saw how loose it went in I used a small pick tool and pulled it back out and put some black RTV sealant behind the seal and moderately coated the seal it self. I let the bike sit overnight to allow the RTV to stiffen up a bit,,,,,,,,,,,no more leak.

Clean everything off.
Spray with foot powder (spray is easiest).
Start bike.
Look.
Find source.
Call Sean for parts.

Posted with my thumbs.

I would change the clutch push rod seal while you are in that deep. That seal fits in the engine very loosely. I pressed my new seal in place with one thumb. After I saw how loose it went in I used a small pick tool and pulled it back out and put some black RTV sealant behind the seal and moderately coated the seal it self. I let the bike sit overnight to allow the RTV to stiffen up a bit,,,,,,,,,,,no more leak.
I read somewhere that the engine has to be removed to change the clutch push rod seal. Is that right?

Could be your stator grommet. Remove square rubber cover for the clutch bleeder. The grommet is the one with 3 white wires coming through it. Oil likes coming through there. A bit of ultra black rtv will help.
It doesn't appear to be coming from the stator grommet, very dry in that area.

No, it's right behind the clutch slave cylinder. Two allen head bolts that are extremly tight.........so have a good well fitted allen head wrench or socket
or you could strip the head of the bolt........

I read somewhere that the engine has to be removed to change the clutch push rod seal. Is that right?

I think I found where it is leaking, see attached image. I'm not sure what it is, but looking in the Haynes manual, page 2-33, I think it is callled the clutch release cylinder?? It is right above the neutral switch.You can see the rubber gasket appears to not be seated correctly. Looks like I will need to drain the oil and remove the cover, I think is called the middle drive cover, to gain access.I checked the bottom bolt and it not loose.
Sorry, I don't know all of the names fo everything yet, but learning more every day.

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 65
Yes, that is what I call the clutch slave cylinder. If it has a hydralic line attached to it, then thats the one.

You will not have to drain the oil to do the job, just lean the bike to the other side, the oil level does not come up that high........

I bought a rebuild kit for the clutch slave cylinder, got that installed, and I still have a leak somewhere in that area. It's got me stumped.

Loosen all the bolts you can get to, blow all around under the bolt heads with brake cleaner and retorque. You might just have a little grit under one of them.

Back