Problem with Ignition Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkuberek

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my 1991 all fixed up and running great.... then my ignition switch just broke.

It will only work if I turn the key then turn it backwards a bit. But if the key moves slightly forward it goes off again. I feel like there is a contact issue inside the switch. I am concerned about spending $200 plus on a new switch and then have to carry 2 sets of keys as the new keys are not going to fit the gas tank cap, the cover lock and the steering lock.

Any chance I can open the switch and repair it?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just got my 1991 all fixed up and running great.... then my ignition switch just broke.

It will only work if I turn the key then turn it backwards a bit. But if the key moves slightly forward it goes off again. I feel like there is a contact issue inside the switch. I am concerned about spending $200 plus on a new switch and then have to carry 2 sets of keys as the new keys are not going to fit the gas tank cap, the cover lock and the steering lock.

Any chance I can open the switch and repair it?

Thanks

I've had mine all apart there not hard at all just take your time & lay things out in order.

Dave

Was pretty easy fix. I opened it and cleaned the terminals with sand paper. Attaching some pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1443135990973.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136009201.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136028897.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136044298.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136063869.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136084370.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443136100640.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The white plastic holding the connectors it's a bit melted and I think I will need to replace that some day. Can I get that piece somewhere?

I don't think they have a parts break down for the ignition switch. You will have to find a used one for your parts.

Dave

Doesn't Gannon have a lot of the molex-style OEM sized nylon electrical connector blocks?

I have a 3D printer at the office. Might be a fun little project ;)

Have any luck with 3D printer on this part. I have the same problem.
I looked up new switch and found one at Boat parts for 115.00. Would have to have it reset for my key.

However many leads you need you should be able to go to a local store and get a 2,3,4,6,8 or whatever # lead male/female pair you need, and w/a bit of soldering, make your own pair. Yes, OEM is good but you shouldn't let a fruitless search for OEM style keep you from fixing the problem.

I've bought switches from 'parts breakers,' as Max Midnight would call them. So far they always worked. Much cheaper than new of course.

Have any luck with 3D printer on this part. I have the same problem.
I looked up new switch and found one at Boat parts for 115.00. Would have to have it reset for my key.

You can change out the tumbler your self. I bought a used switch & put my tumbler in it works fine.

Dave

Fire-medic the part that I would like to replace isn't the connection it's the plastic part holding the two contacts. The part in pictures 6-7 on post #8.

Yes, I see, thanks.

Ninjaneer has some threads about doing the switch pods in a similar fashion, disassembly/cleaning to restore functions.

Fire-medic the part that I would like to replace isn't the connection it's the plastic part holding the two contacts. The part in pictures 6-7 on post #8.

Latest posts

Back