Race Fuel Vs. Pump Gas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
AFTER MY V-MAX HAD 1,500 MILES ON IT, I STARTED RUNNING OLD SCHOOL RACE FUEL IN IT, 110 OCTANE & HAS LEAD IN IT , AFTER 20-30 MILES IT WAS IDLING AT 1300 RPM'S, SO I TURNED IT BACK DOWN, IT RUN'S A LOT SMOOTHER & WHEN WE GO RIDING FOR 400 MILES, I LEAVE WITH A FULL TANK OF RACE FUEL, & THEN HAVE TO REFUEL ON THE ROAD WITH PUMP GAS, I GET 44 MPG ON RACE FUEL & 36-37 MPG ON PUMP GAS, PLUS THE RACE FUEL DOES'NT HAVE ALL THOSE BAD ADDITIVES IN IT THAT PUMP GAS NOW HAS, BIKE MACHANIC'S ARE SAYING THE ADDITIVES ARE CAUSING ALL KINDS OF CARB PROBLEMS, & ALSO IS MAKING THE ALUMINUM NEEDLES GET OXIDIZED , CAUSING OTHER PROBLEMS, THE GUY'S I KNOW AT THE RACE SHOP SAY ITS NOT A BIGGER EXPLOSION BUT A LONGER LASTING ONE, SO IT PUSHES THE PISTON DOWN FOR A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME & OVERALL BURNS MUCH CLEANER, & THE LEAD IS GOOD FOR THE VALVES. AFTER 700 MILES I PULLED THE SPARK PLUGS & THEY WERE LIKE NEW, & JUST SLIGHTLY FROSTED GREY,!!! HAS ANYONE ELSE TRIED RACE FUEL ???

Havent used race fuel
Octane is the measure that is used to tell how much a fuel can be compressed before it pre-ignites. The higher the octane the more compression it can handle.

Your race fuel of 110 is not a true octane measure. It is a performance indicator/rating used in high compression/perfomance avaition engines not a true measure of the octane rating. The lead significantly improves the fuels capability to resist pre-ignition

Gasoline of 87 is 87% octane(8 hydrocarbons) and 13% heptane(7 hydrocarbons) Gasoline of 89 is 89/11. The "highest" octane gasoline can have without adding lead is 100.

What I am wondering is how much is that stuff costing per gallon?:confused2:? Is it cost effective compared to just plain ole 87 octane for the better mileage.

NO ITS NOT COST EFFECTIVE, NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUT I BOUGHT THE BIKE NEW IN 2007, LEFT OVER FROM 2006, & NOT KNOWING , IT SAT IN THE SHOW ROOM WITH GAS IN IT & THE CARBS WERE ALL GUMMED-UP, & IT HAD TO COME APART WITH ONLY 76 MILES ON IT, THE BIKE HAD TO BE FLATBEDDED! COULD'NT BE DRIVEN AT ALL, WOULD'NT RUN UNDER 3,000 RPM'S, THEN AFTER A BIG BATTLE WITH THE DEALER IT WAS FIXED ! & STILL WAS'NT RIGHT & WEN'T BACK AGAIN TO BE FIXED, AND AT LEAST THE RACE FUEL IS'NT GOING TO SCREW UP MY CARBS, ITS 7.50 PER GALLON, BUT WHEN MY CARBS WERE SCREWED UP ON MY BRANDNEW BIKE, I HERD SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE CRAP PUMP GAS I DID'NT NO WHAT TO BELIEVE ! SO AFTER IT WAS WELL BROKEN IN I TRIED IT !! NOT FOR PERFORMANCE, MORE FOR PIECE OF MIND ! BUT IT RUNS SMOOTHER & DOES'NT POP BACK THROUGH THE CARBS !!

Race gas only works on a stock bike. If you like the 110 you should try the VP 116 thats the ticket. So what if it cost $15 a gallon its worth it, right?

You live in NJ, E-town has it at the pumps.

NO ITS NOT COST EFFECTIVE, NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUT I BOUGHT THE BIKE NEW IN 2007, LEFT OVER FROM 2006, & NOT KNOWING , IT SAT IN THE SHOW ROOM WITH GAS IN IT & THE CARBS WERE ALL GUMMED-UP, & IT HAD TO COME APART WITH ONLY 76 MILES ON IT, THE BIKE HAD TO BE FLATBEDDED! COULD'NT BE DRIVEN AT ALL, WOULD'NT RUN UNDER 3,000 RPM'S, THEN AFTER A BIG BATTLE WITH THE DEALER IT WAS FIXED ! & STILL WAS'NT RIGHT & WEN'T BACK AGAIN TO BE FIXED, AND AT LEAST THE RACE FUEL IS'NT GOING TO SCREW UP MY CARBS, ITS 7.50 PER GALLON, BUT WHEN MY CARBS WERE SCREWED UP ON MY BRANDNEW BIKE, I HERD SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE CRAP PUMP GAS I DID'NT NO WHAT TO BELIEVE ! SO AFTER IT WAS WELL BROKEN IN I TRIED IT !! NOT FOR PERFORMANCE, MORE FOR PIECE OF MIND ! BUT IT RUNS SMOOTHER & DOES'NT POP BACK THROUGH THE CARBS !!

Sorry to hear about your problems with the dealer. :damn angry: Doesnt sound like you are ever going to use them again.:smileystooges:

$7.50/gal :surprise: Glad to hear it is working for you. Just so you know the additives that get put in regular gas get put in the good stuff as well. EPA regulations. The only thing they get to add any differently is the lead.
Honestly if your carbs are all good to go, A/F mixture right and all you should be able to run regular gas. Just use some Sea Foam every third tank or so. Much cheaper on the wallet:punk: Also use a station that gets a lot of traffic and dont fill up on the days they get their gas, stirs up sediment.

Cheers:cheers:

HEY NOBODY, MY POINT WAS THAT THE RACE FUEL DOES'NT HAVE ALL OF THE SHIT ADDITIVES IN IT,THAT PUMP GAS DOES, NOT THAT IT GIVES YOU ANY MORE HP, RPM'S, OR MPH'S,

RAGING MAIN , I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THAT DEALER, AND I WILL BAD MOUTH THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE !!!! I USED SOME SEAFOAM A COUPLE OF TIMES, AND SOME OTHER CARB CLEANER STUFF & DOING A POKER RUN, MY BIKE DROPPED A CYLINDER FOR ABOUT A HALF AN HOUR & THEN PICKED IT BACK UP, WHEN I GOT HOME I CHANGED THE PLUGS, THEY WERE BROWN, THE FUZZ ON THEM LOOKED LIKE RUST, I CHANGED THEM , DRAINED THE CARBS,& DRAINED THE TANK,& I'VE RUN PUMP GAS & RACE FUEL & ITS RUN GREAT EVER SINCE !!!

HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH PUMP GAS ?

I think we've all experienced the problem you mentioned when you let gas sit in the carbs. Just shows you how crap the gas is. Mine sometimes gets plugged if I don't run the bike for a week!

THATS WHAT I HEARD, & I HEARD THAT THE RACE FUEL DOES'NT DO THAT !!! , THATS WHY I STARTED USING IT , AFTER ALL I WENT THOUGH !!! MY BIKE WAS NEW , I WENT 76 MILES, AND IT REALY SUCKED !!!:confused2:

HEY NOBODY, MY POINT WAS THAT THE RACE FUEL DOES'NT HAVE ALL OF THE SHIT ADDITIVES IN IT,THAT PUMP GAS DOES, NOT THAT IT GIVES YOU ANY MORE HP, RPM'S, OR MPH'S,

COP RUNNER,

I am not sure what you are refurring to, I didn't say anything about more hp, rpms of mph...?

But boy, when I replyed to your post I had my tongue firmly placed in my cheek. You just didn't get it.

By the way, we can here you, so stop screaming.:ranting:

NOBODY , I'M NOT SCREAMING "LOL", I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE , WAS OR IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS I WAS , NO MORE NO LESS !!!! I DONT WANT TO BUY RACE FUEL, I HAVE AN ALMOST 5 YEAR OLD SON & LIVE PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE !!! THATS WHY I WAS ASKING, IF I HAD MONEY I'D PUT FUEL INJECTION & EXAUST ON IT & BE DONE ! "LOL"

NOBODY , I'M NOT SCREAMING "LOL", I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE , WAS OR IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS I WAS , NO MORE NO LESS !!!! I DONT WANT TO BUY RACE FUEL, I HAVE AN ALMOST 5 YEAR OLD SON & LIVE PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE !!! THATS WHY I WAS ASKING, IF I HAD MONEY I'D PUT FUEL INJECTION & EXAUST ON IT & BE DONE ! "LOL"

Ok this is the deal, unless you have a high performance engine with high compression (12-1 - 14-1) you DO NOT NEED RACE GAS. 87 octane works fine on all V-Max's with stock compression.

What happened to your bike is it had gas sitting in it for to long and it went bad. Depending on how long the gas sat in the carbs would dictate what would need to be done to them. If the carbs got real gummed up they may need to be disassembled and cleaned. You may get away with some sea foam or techron run thru the carbs, but probably not.

Your issues have nothing to do with gas octane.

THATS WAS KIND OF MY QUESTION, MORE SO THE ADDITIVES THEY PUT IN PUMP GAS VERSES RACE FUEL , AND RAGING MAIN SAYS , THEY HAVE THE SAME ADDITIVES, BUSTER HYMEN SAYS HIS CARBS GET CLOGGED IN A WEEK OR SO , IF HE DOES'NT RUN HIS BIKE, DOES ANYONE NO WHY THIS HAPPEN'S ? I'VE HEARD THIS MANY TIMES !!!

Last edited:
BUSTER, WHEN YOURS GETS PLUGGED , WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO FIX IT ?

I either do the shotgun or peashooter on the carbs. Now I always dump some Seafoam in with the gas so I don't have that problem. That would be a cheaper alternative than running race fuel ... or just ride your bike 24/7... including in the house!:biglaugh:

I'VE BEEN RUNNING IT EVERY 2 WEEKS, UNTIL THE FAN COMES ON , I GUESS THATS NOT ENOUGH ? IT HAS RACE FUEL , STABIL, & SOME STARTRON "BLUE STUFF IN IT " , I RODE IT TUESDAY FOR 5 MILES IT RAN GREAT AFTER IT WARMED-UP !!! & MAN IT FELT GREAT ! BETTER THAN " PROM NIGHT " "LOL" :cheers:

Depending on the octane rating of the race fuel you're using, you could actually be damaging your bike.

Octane ratings are engineered to meet a certain combustion level at a certain compression.

To wit:

A factory Vmax runs 10.5 to 1 compression. Believe it or not, that's not that high. It's on the higher end of things on the road in general, but not really outrageous. 87 octane will do, but you may notice that it runs out a LITTLE bit smoother on the 89 plus unleaded or the 92 high octane. Personally, I run the 89 plus unleaded. It seems to run the smoothest.

The problem with running a really high octane fuel in your factory Max is that it can actually burn the entire engine up. If you start putting 104 octane race fuel in it for instance, the fuel is going to burn WAY too hot. Now, your cooling system will work to keep that down, but what you're not going to see is the additional heat and burn force of that mixture in the cylinders themselves. It stresses the pistons and rings and valves a great deal more than they were really engineered to handle.

Put that same 104 octane in a 14.0 to 1 compression engine however, and it actually will burn the exact same as 92 octane in a 10.5 to 1 engine.

The reason for that is that the higher compression makes the mixture much more dense, so the higher octane is needed to make sure that the fuel burns completely.

You may actually be doing more harm than good, again, depending on the octane you're running. Just because it seems to run a bit better doesn't mean that it's good for you bike.

For instance, you could pour straight alcohol into your tank, and man or man that thing will run like a scalded dog...till it blows up for burning far too hot.

Just be careful you don't overdo it. Anything more than super unleaded from the pump at 92 or 93 octane is just WAY too much.

Regards,
Tom

I agree. Race fuel doesnt clean your carb anymore than reg unled 87 Oct. Its simple.
87 Octane stock low compression engine.
Dirty Carbs. Pull em off disassemble em and clean.
If they are bad break em down fully, remove all plastic and rubber and take em to a dealer and have them dipped.

The onlything that race gas does in a stock engine is.
Doesnt burn completly leaving carbon build up after time.

Race gas does smell cool!! You can pretend your one of the biker boys and race down a dirt road at 185MPH:rocket bike:

If you just want your exhaust to smell good they sell additive at Summit Racing and other places to make it smell like Cotton Candy, Grape, Root Beer and many others.
If you have extra race gas I would sell it cause your not doing your VMAX engine any good and your actually losing performance

You will make the most power on the LOWEST octane rating you can run without detonation (pre-igniiton or ping). All octane truly is is a resistance to burn. You don't need race gas for a stock compression bike/car. You get more complete combustion and more power with a proper octane rated fuel. On all of my street strip cars (Fords) I would bump the timing just below the point where it would ping on 87. I always turned the best times on 87. These were low compression motors, less than 10:1.

Mike

Back