Race Fuel Vs. Pump Gas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use 87 sat during the winter started right up never had any bike through 30 years have carb problems, gas now a days has stableizers so it dont turn bad as fast im willing to bet most carb problems are a cause of not running the stock air box and filter..or taking them apart so many times to rejet .... did follow marks advise and keep the carbs full...before that with other bikes i always drained them eather way i never had a problem..last year a guy with a vtx at laconia put race fuel in his bike and the motor puffed smoke for days could not ride inback of him your eyes would burn from the unburnt fuel

I KNOW , I HAD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH PUMP GAS EITHER ! THATS WHY , WHEN THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS MY FAULT THE CARBS WERE GUMMED-UP ON MY BRANDNEW 76 MILES ON V-MAX , BECAUSE I LET IT SIT FOR 3 WEEKS . I KNEW THEY WHERE FULL OF S@*T !!!!! THE ONLY TIME I EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH FUEL BEING GUMMED UP , WAS WHEN I BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT WAY ! & THIS WAS NO EXEPTION !!!! DEALERS ARE LYING SCUMBAGS ! :double angry bird:

I KNOW , I HAD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH PUMP GAS EITHER ! THATS WHY , WHEN THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS MY FAULT THE CARBS WERE GUMMED-UP ON MY BRANDNEW 76 MILES ON V-MAX , BECAUSE I LET IT SIT FOR 3 WEEKS . I KNEW THEY WHERE FULL OF S@*T !!!!! THE ONLY TIME I EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH FUEL BEING GUMMED UP , WAS WHEN I BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT WAY ! & THIS WAS NO EXEPTION !!!! DEALERS ARE LYING SCUMBAGS ! :double angry bird:
they are skum bags hope you didnt pay... that bullshit

KNOW I DID'NT PAY , BUT I HAD TO THREATEN TO GET A LAWYER , & I HATE THEM , BUT IT WORKED ! BUT WHY DID IT HAVE TO COME TO THAT ? MY BIKE WAS BRANDNEW ! THATS BULLSHIT ! 76 MILES & I HAD TO FLATBED IT TO THE SHOP ! :cheers:

My 4 stroke riding lawnmower sits outside for months at a time getting rained on and always fires right up and runs fine. i've never had a problem with "old" fuel either.

My guess is it's more often contaminated fuel, probably water.

Rusty

hey guys, since we're debating the merits of different gas grades and additives, has anyone heard of or used a Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Is this just another scam or is it as good as it claims. It states that it can give you better fuel mileage and it increases the grade of the fuel. It eliminates the use of stabil when storing the bike over winter. Just put the 2 capsules in your tank and forget about it. They are good for 300,000 miles or so. Don't mean to get off topic Cop Runner, but i thought this thread would be a good lead in for this.
Just wondering.
:ummm: www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com
________
The Peak Towers Pattaya

Last edited:
hey guys, since we're debating the merits of different gas grades and additives, has anyone heard of or used a Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Is this just another scam or is it as good as it claims. It states that it can give you better fuel mileage and it increases the grade of the fuel. It eliminates the use of stabil when storing the bike over winter. Just put the 2 capsules in your tank and forget about it. They are good for 300,000 miles or so. Don't mean to get off topic Cop Runner, but i thought this thread would be a good lead in for this.
Just wondering.
tryed it in my harley could not tell you if it did anything or not ran good before ran good after

HEY MR.MAX#235 , THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT , & THAT WEBSITE ! LOOKS INTERESTING ! THIS HOLE THREAD WAS'NT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT OCTANE AT ALL ! BUT ABOUT ADDITIVES , & FUEL PROBLEMS & STUFF LIKE THAT ! BUT FOR SOME REASON ,OCTANE JUST WOULD'NT DIE ! "LOL" :rofl_200:

In 99 when I bought my bike new, my carbs made the popping sound. It only happened right off idle when I revved it or pulled from a stop. Come to find out that is common of some maxes, also a slight lean condition.
So when dealing with the dipshit dealer, who didnt know jack about max carbs, had no idea what to tell me.
I brought it to the dealer at the 600 mile tune up. They didnt do shit. Finally after a year of bugging them and now out of warranty I found out that the carbs can gum up from sittng at the factory or the showroom floor. I called and talked to Yamaha directly and they told me this.
So I wanted them cleaned but they wouldnt do it because it was out of warranty and my extended warranty wouldnt cover. Which was fine they dont know what they are doing anyway
Asshole dealers.

AT THE RISK OF SOME THINKING I'M A DICK , BUT I HOPE NOT ! I STILL HAVE TO SAY THIS ! YOU KNOW , BACK IN THE DAY , EVEN 25 YEARS AGO WHEN I RAN 110 OCTANE LEADED - LEADED - LEADED - LEADED - LEADED - FUEL IN EVERYTHING I OWNED ! BENCH WARMERS WOULD TELL ME THAT YOU DON'T NEED RACE FUEL , ONCE AGAIN , ITS THE THINGS THAT , USING RACE FUEL ALLOWS YOU TO DO TO THE ENGINE THAT MAKES IT WORTH USING IT ! EVEN IF ITS ONLY ADVANCING THE TIMING ANOTHER 10 DEG. ! ( THAT ALONE MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE ! ) , BUT THE BENCH WARMERS WOULD ALSO TELL ME THAT THE " LEAD WILL FOUL YOUR SPARK PLUGS " !:rofl_200: I HAVE NEVER FOULED A SPARK PLUG ! NOT EVEN RACING MOTOCROSS ON A QUAD OR ON TWO CR250'S THAT ALSO HAD BELL-RAY OIL MIXED IN WITH THE RACE FUEL , AS A MATTER OF FACT , WHEN I PULLED THE HEADS , THEY WERE LIKE CHROME IN SIDE ! I COULD HAVE PUT THE HEADS BACK IN THE BOX & TOOK THEM BACK & SAID THAT I NEVER USED THEM ! EVEN ON ALL OF MY STOCK CAR ENGINES , WHEN I TAKE THEM APART , THEY ARE LIKE BRAND NEW ! WHERE DID ALL OF THIS MYSTERIOUS CARBON GO ? SO I'M JUST WONDERING , WHEN I GO IN MY ATTIC & LOOK AT ALL OF MY TROPHY'S , "AM I THE LUCKIEST FUCKER THAT EVER WALKED THE EARTH " ? OR AM I JUST ANOTHER DUMB FUCK RACING STOCK CARS , THAT USED TO WASTE HIS MONEY EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT , STANDING IN LINE TO BUY RACE FUEL , BEHIND 199 OTHER DUMB FUCKS AT THE TRACK , WHEN THEY COULD HAVE RUN 87 OCTANE FUEL & RETARDED THERE TIMING 10 DEG. AND LAPPED ME ? BULL FUCKING SHIT ! LET ME CLARIFY THAT , BULL FUCKING SHIT ! I'VE BEEN WAITING A YEAR TO SAY THIS ! AND MAN I FEEL GOOD !:rofl_200: PS. I REALLY LOVE THE SMELL OF IT , SO MAYBE ITS JUST A MENTAL THING & IT MAKES ME DRIVE LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER !...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:... ALTHOUGH I AM PRETTY LUCKY ! OOOOORRRRRRRR , MAYBE ITS ALL IN MY HEAD ???...:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Last edited:
OBVIOUSLY FROM THIS THREAD WE CAN SURMISE THAT RACE FUEL IS EFFECTIVE WHEN TURNING LEFT OR GOING IN A STRAIGHT LINE!:rofl_200::rofl_200::biglaugh::biglaugh::clapping:
I AM A AUTO TECH [DRIVABLILTY] ALSO MOST PROBLEMS I HAVE WITH FUEL ARE
A. I ACCIDENTLY PUT DIESEL IN MY CAR:bang head:
B. THE NEIGHBOR KID PUT WATER IN MY TANK WITH A HOSE:damn angry:
C. THE FUEL COMPANY MIXED THE FUEL WRONG:ummm:

MOSTLY THE LAST ONE

Pump gas has additives that do several things, most importantly:

Clean the engine (detergents), stabilize the gas (so it sits in the tank for a few weeks without going south on you).

Race fuel has neither of those. Reason being that in a race application, the gas isn't going to be around for very long. You'll burn it up in a matter of a couple hours. It's not made to sit in the tank.

They also assume you don't need any detergents as in most race applications the engines are torn down and rebuilt ever other even at least. Sometimes, it's every event. In drag racing, it's every single run.

The reason people add seafoam and the like is that they put their bikes up over the long winter months and it helps make the gas even more storageable and cuts down on the gas going south after it's been sitting in the garage/basement from November to February.

Anyone adding octane additive to a stock Max is wasting time, money and effort...not to mention potentially harming the engine.

Regards,
Tom

Just wondering.

I know nothing about racing fuel...to comment on. But I knew a guy who drove a tanker for one of the big companies delivering fuel to gas stations. He was telling me that the fuel starts to (drop) or loose it's octane % as soon as it's blended and degrades faster as it is exposed to air and a temperature change. (don't remember why that was - sorry ) He also was saying that they often have to add octane at times to boost it up to standards. I have to agree with the comment that the fuel quality standards probably has gone down due to the high demands. Lets face it, these gas companies will do anything to make it more profitable. I don't add to my gas other than seafoam, nor do I use anything other than, the regular grade. Maybe the odd time I'll run the good stuff. Not sure why really, maybe it's a thing I have, - it's better for the bike, then again who am I kidding !

fuel starts to deteriorate right after the refining process, so as it leaves the plant its going south and the longer it sits at the gas station and then in your tank ya it turns and voila........ varnish junk formed in your tank and carbs= gummed up everything.

seafoam has tons of benefits and one of them that seems to be helping us(vmaxer, why else are you here FF hahahahah) it like methyl hydrate absorbs water so minimize the water build up and rust forming in the tank. helps keep carb clean from clogging and if you smell lots of the additive stuff you can put into tanks it smells like diesel.......... ever put a little diesel into your stuff to help clean up carbon. Well not really the diesel but stuff in there that smells like it but can find it in Jet B which is Naphtha, now that stuff cleans carbon and junk out like nothing else. oh ya and atf now that stuff is like juice in a bottle.

anyways Fitch Fuel Catalyst, have/had those didnt use them for any claims of octane but more to help stabilize the fuel from breaking down. Did see about 1-2mpg increase in my full size truck, both in town and on the highway. and that was over 6 yrs i was testing it in all sorts of conditions. Had them in the tank of the truck and we keep a bunch in the jerry cans.

So race fuel vs pump gas, for sure it cleans the crap out of your engine, might not have the same detergents as pump fuel but holy crap if you ever run it in your vehicle and take a look at it when you take it apart its always looks brand new, no way it gets carboned up.
Again Cop Runner is not talking about which octane is better for the bike just why newer fuels are clog'in up the crap out of our bikes vs fuels of yesteryears. a little race fuel or avgas mixed in to help wont hurt for sure.

Avgas by spec has to be stable for a min of 6 months only down fall is that its dry as hell and can damage seals in the carb so a little two stroke oil or mixing with pump fuel will solve that.

I know every time i drive in the states and put that lovely ethanol mixed stuff in the tank i get less mpg and slightly less grunt out of the bike. by the time i run half tank of gas from north of the boarder it totally chg animals. Plus i dont have that water absorbing stuff in my tank. One of my bikes i tend to leave parked for winter which is about 7 months if not 8 sometimes. i only start it once in the middle for a little bit and (knock on wood) have no issues with it. starts right up, idles, runs strong bla bla bla. only thing in the tank with the fuel is little bit of seafoam, about 4 oz per tank thats it, dont think more helps, not sure but. maybe dry/cold climate helps preserve it.
im sure im way off topic here cop runner when i remember what the f im suppose to be talking about i will write back :punk:

i:new_ani: :new3_ani: " NEWS FLASH " :new3_ani: :new_ani: , I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH CHAD KNAUS , HE SAID THAT ALL OF THE HENDRICK CARS THIS WEEK-END AT CHICAGO LAND SPEEDWAY ARE GOING TO RUN 87 OCTANE PUMP GAS WITH ETHANOL , SO FUCK BUYING MY NEW HOUSE , I JUST DID A WIRE TRANSFER TO CIRCUS CIRCUS IN LAS-VEGAS AND WIRED $134,000.00 ON THE #48 CAR JIMMY JOHNSON TO WIN AT 6/5 ODDS , ITS NOT MUCH OF A PAY OFF AT 6/5 ODDS FOR THE RISK , BUT WAIT A MINUTE , ITS A SHORE THING WITH PUMP GAS ! . :jerk it: . :jerk it: . :jerk it: . :lol_hitting: . :lol_hitting:

sweeet, i mean chad must know what he is talking about right :ummm: :rofl_200:

I have run fitch fuel catalyst for years and i can tell you first hand it works great! No carb problems ever with it,no additives used either. I have been a mechanic for 25+ years,working on carbs and fuel systems and everything else mechanical. The higher the octane, the more resistant it is to detenation.Meaning it is harder to burn. The higher the compression,the greater the need for higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition. High compression engines will pre-ignite(spark knock) on regular gas,thus the need for race gas.Regular gas burns easier than high octane..So..that being said,race gas is really only needed in high compresion situations.Or if you just like the smell. I run race gas now and then,only need premium,but still run it now and then.It makes no diff....Now, jimmy and his johnson,they need race gas for those engines and the compression they run....Now dont even get me started on ethanal!!A 10% blend of ethanal will absorbs 6000 to 7000 ppm of water in the same time as reg. unleaded in the same 30 day period! Reg Unleaded soaks up a paltry 150 ppm in same time! It takes 1 table spoon of water per gallon to cause phase seperation, rendering it unburnable. In a two stroke it will make you run one jet lean! The bitch is, the goverment here allows the fuel companies the right to put what ever they want in the ground.I.E. you dont know what your getting!:bang head:

I have run fitch fuel catalyst for years and i can tell you first hand it works great! No carb problems ever with it,no additives used either. I have been a mechanic for 25+ years,working on carbs and fuel systems and everything else mechanical. The higher the octane, the more resistant it is to detention.Meaning it is harder to burn. The higher the compression,the greater the need for higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition. High compression engines will pre-ignite(spark knock) on regular gas,thus the need for race gas.Regular gas burns easier than high octane..So..that being said,race gas is really only needed in high compression situations.Or if you just like the smell. I run race gas now and then,only need premium,but still run it now and then.It makes no diff....Now, jimmy and his johnson,they need race gas for those engines and the compression they run....Now don't even get me started on ethanol!!A 10% blend of ethanol will absorbs 6000 to 7000 ppm of water in the same time as reg. unleaded in the same 30 day period! Reg Unleaded soaks up a paltry 150 ppm in same time! It takes 1 table spoon of water per gallon to cause phase separation, rendering it un burnable. In a two stroke it will make you run one jet lean! The bitch is, the government here allows the fuel companies the right to put what ever they want in the ground.I.E. you don't know what your getting!:bang head:
i . I'VE BEEN A MECHANIC AND RACED STOCK CARS AND DRAG RACED FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND I AGREE WITH YOU , WORD FOR WORD AS I EXPLAINED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD 1.5 YEARS AGO ! .. AND THIS THREAD ALSO WAS JUST ABOUT RACE FUEL NOT CONTAINING ALL OF THE HARMFUL AGENTS IN IT THAT CAN SCREW UP OUR V-MAX CARBS , I HAD NEVER SAID THAT IT WOULD MAKE ANYTHING ANY FASTER ! .. BUT IT DOES BURN MUCH CLEANER AND SLOWER , AND I LOVE THE SMELL !

sweeet, i mean chad must know what he is talking about right :ummm: :rofl_200:
i I WAS MORE SHOCKED WHEN HE ANSWERED THE PHONE " HEY TIM , I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOUR CALL " ! . "LOL""LOL""LOL" . . NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT , I'M REALLY NOT SHOCKED ! .:biglaugh:

Back