Random Electrical Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooligans

Reaction score
Before I start spending money on new parts I figured I would ask if anyone has found a solution for this problem;

1989 Vmax
1988 Wiring Harness

I turn the main switch and stop switch to on positions, everything is working properly (all indicator lights come on, fuel pump clicks, 41-R relay clicks, headlight/turn signals come on).

I press the starter button, headlight turns off and nothing happens. I let go of the button and headlight comes back on.

It is the exact same issue listed here;

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11029&highlight=intermittent (was a solution ever posted?)

I should say that I rebuilt the entire bike, every nut and bolt removed and reassembled/replaced. I will post a write up of this build when the bike runs.

I switched the wiring harness because I had experienced this problem before the rebuild, only it was intermittent, now it happens every time.

When the problem would happen before rebuild I would just jump the bike with a screwdriver (probably not such a good idea) and continue on. It used to happen once in blue moon, I didn't have much time to look for the problem plus I knew a major overhaul was coming.

So now I checked everything in the starter circuit.

Starter relay is good, 41-R relay is good, starter button/kill switch are good, main switch is good. I replaced the 41-R (flasher) relay with known good one, I replaced the starter button/kill switch with a known good one. I went through every connector and cleaned/greased them, I went through every ground and cleaned up the metal. Continuity is good everywhere.

It seems to be a problem with the Blue/White wire coming from the starter relay, I'm not getting 12V to that wire anytime, but all other components test good. Starter relay is good (tested by unplugging the blue/white wire hooking a lead to it and connecting it to the positive terminal on the battery - relay clicks and powers the starter)

I have a feeling it's something stupid that I'm missing here. After too many weekends building this bike, I am ready to be done and ride it now that good weather seems to be coming.

Frustration level = :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

The three-wire ignition switch to wiring loom connector (near the steering neck) is infamous for failing - either closed or open.
Mine failed closed. The plastic connector melted, allowing the red and brown wires to touch. I couldn't shut off my bike, regardless of ignition switch position.
Others have had the connector corrode badly, giving intermittent starting/running problems. Yours MAY be allowing enough juice thru to power up the preliminary functions, but not allowing enough amperage to pass to fire up the starting circuit.
Easy enough to check, by jumping the red and brown on the loom side, and then cleaning/replacing/eliminating the connector, depending on it's condition.
Keep the faith, you will find the nastiness eventually.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I can feel your pain. I put 1,500 hours into my 89. I'd had enough. Once you get these little bugs out of the way. It'll be indestructible. Mine has been running perfect for about 2 years straight. There is light at the end of your tunnel... Miles may have the fix up here already. If not, We'll get you there. The best experts in the world are right here on this forum...

I was gonna say the brown wire trick, but Miles always gets to that first.
I think of the brown wire as being the equivalent of the Aorta, Dave. The body can't survive unless that main artery is loaded up with oxygenated blood,(volts /amps) courtesy of the heart (battery).
Of course the aorta eventually splits into multiple arteries to feed other areas, via the fuse box.
cheers, Dr. Miles Long:punk:

Dr. Long.. As long (no pun) as you're giving free advice - I've got this problem when I pee....

Latest posts

Back