VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My understanding is that the last "ring" of the plug indicates the fuel mixture. By saying last ring I mean the last section of the male threaded part that the ground strap is connected to.

Correct?

Anyone have any specific info on how to "read" the plugs to make sure all is goo? I've always thought that as long as the porcelain was light tan all was good. The more I read, the more I think that is too generic or just incorrect.

Input appreciated.

Mike, correct. Here are a couple of good reads to help out. For the mixture ring, black is okay. You can pick some of that off. A poofy, black carbon look is too rich.

I also included a pic I use to tune the different carb circuits. Float level is very bottom inside porcelain. The rest of the porcelain is needle.

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Cool links. I just read a bit of the 4 seconds flat one. Interesting stuff. Much more thought going into looking at a plug than I ever would have imagined. I've always heard the saying "read your plugs" but never really understood what all I should be looking for.

I really enjoy reading about this kind of stuff for some reason. This and the carb links you posted up before are all great! Very interesting.

Guess I have some reading to do. Thanks AGAIN Mark!:worthy::worthy:

good info:punk: i change my plugs every yr just so can get a look at how shes burnin.

i chaneged mine recently befoe i did a carb sync...

as u can c the 2 end plugs are a little darker...

those corresponded to the carbs i had to adjust.

Attachments

• plugs 001.jpg
    plugs 001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 52
  • plugs 002.jpg
    plugs 002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 54
wow great info mark. yea. more reading to do here as well. i honestly had NO idea there was that much info just from the plugs.. no wonder u guys are always pulling them and checking them out!

Latest posts

Back