Redbone Mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I am going to start this thread, albeit somewhat late in the mod process, to document the mods I have done, and what I'm working on now. I thought that having all my work in one thread will be a nice way to document the developement of Redbone's own personality. I usually wait for the downtime in the winter, largely to have a project but it also allows more time to ride once the warm weather hits here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I will start this with what I'm currently working on, adding Carrozzeria wheels/ radials, braced and extended swingarm w/ uderslung R1 brake caliper. The anticipation of getting these particular mods bolted on I am slogging ahead with them even though it is mid riding season.

I removed the stock wheel/ swingarm to install my braced 3" over swingarm and Carrizzeria's. It is taking a while since I'm working out of my M/C trailer but it could be worse if I didn't have the trailer! Building a proper garage/ work shop will be a priority once I get Redbone back on the road!
As I was installing the swingarm/ rear wheel I ran into a few issues:
1) While it appears that I may have to do the washer swap to give the 200 section tire enough clearance, it will spin but it is rubbing. I read somewhere that you can shave down the edge of the tire some but not sure what tool to do that with? A wood plane? How much clearance should I go for, a dimes width? A quarter? I hope the shaving will do the trick as I would rather not have to do the washer swap.
2) I have a 298mm wavy rotor on the rear and my initial fitting of the new underslung R1 brake setup it appeared to need a little more clearance. It was late so I'm going after it again this morning to try again. Worse case I can install my stock rotor temporarily until I can work out the details with Sean.
3) Installing the driveshaft was pita. It took me almost a hour to finally get it in place. I may have to take it off again today to do the swap if my tire shaving doesn't prove effective. Sigh.

I will tackle the front front wheel later today and report my finding but it looks like that might be a little easier than the rear wheel/ swingarm of yesterday! :clapping:

All you need is a paper thickness width (though even a slight rub won't hurt either. Sometimes they will rub on the brake bar on the right side but that should not be an issue with yours.

I figured out the clearance issue; I forgot the drive side axle spacer on the wheel!:bang head: I missed this one completely!:damn angry: It is still pretty close(compared to the brake side) but is where it should be, just as Sean planned it! This takes care of point #1.:clapping:
On point 2 it appears as if I will have to use a smaller rotor (282mm- stock rotor size) than my 298mm wavy rotor. I also going to need a spacer to bridge the gap between the caliper bracket and swingarm mounting point. More investigatioin is needed so I'll get back to report my results later. Sean you have a email incoming.

Glad to hear you are getting a chance to bolt all the new stuff on Brian.

During my initial swingarm install, I put the driveshaft extension on the yoke before I installed the swingarm. Once the arm was on, I was able to stab the driveshaft in place in no time. I later removed the driveshaft and the extension came with it. It was a bit harder getting in there all in one piece. I have best luck leaving the shocks off the bike and letting the arm hang down and I lay on the floor. Ususally takes me a few tries.

As far as your clearance issue, can you elaborate? Are you saying the caliper is hitting the rim because the rotor OD is too large?

I finally figured out that the pulling the pumpkin off the driveshaft is a lot easier than trying to stab at the yoke with the driveshaft. I have had the wheel on and off 5-6 times today while attempting to get a rear brake hooked up.
The brake caliper(R1), billet brake arm and 298mm rotor did not work together.
Once the brake arm is fastened into position I can bolt on one of the caliper mounting bolts but when I swing up the caliper it bottoms on the rotor. The rotor is too big. I put my stock 282mm rotor on and which I'm 99% sure will work. The reason I say 99% is that when I went to remove the temporary bolt that I had on there the nylock nut I had put on there had would not budge! I tried all the wrenches I had but it would not come off, It must have been the wrong pitch threads I'm guessing. So I drilled that bolt head off so the bake arm is free. I'm also going to have to get a proper length M8 bolt/ nylock nut and a spacer to properly align the brake arm with the swingarm mounting point.
Check the attached picture and I hope I described the issue.

Attachments

• caliper bottomed out on rotor.jpg
    caliper bottomed out on rotor.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 83
Brian, what about oversizing the mounting holes in the arm & caliper....if there's enough material. :confused2:

Also, do the brake pads make contact at the proper area of the rotor, or are they closer to the center?

Just curious, is your caliper bracket from Custom Vmax Services or COO?

One thing I would check is that the rotor is sitting in the caliper properly. If you look at the R1 caliper, there is a very narrow notch that the rotor must ride in. If everything is not perfectly lined up, you may not be getting the rotor nested in the notch. Once you get the caliper on the rotor and past the pads, you need to wiggle it around a little bit to get the rotor seated in the notch properly. The notch is visible on either side of the pads, near the main body of the caliper. There is not much room for error.

As far as the brake stay bar, I made my own out of aluminum round bar. I drilled and tapped the bar and installed spherical rod ends on both ends of the brake bar to be able to make the bar angled instead of using spacers.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_23-36-08_118.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-36-08_118.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 66
Brian, what about oversizing the mounting holes in the arm & caliper....if there's enough material. :confused2:

Also, do the brake pads make contact at the proper area of the rotor, or are they closer to the center?

The brake arm was designed to work with a 282mm rotor, and after I put the stocker back on the caliper lined up properly with the mounting holes and pad alignment with the rotor braking surface.
I had to stop working on the rear because I need parts to continue. Ok ok Dave, here are the pics! ;) (Sorry no pics with the caliper on the 282mm rotor.)
caliper bottomed out on rotor.jpg pads moreorless aligned with brake surface.jpg IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1742.jpg
Now some good news! Well mostly good news, the front went on without a hitch other than having to drill/ easy out 2 rotor bolts (out of 12) on the stock wheel. I still need to find a spacer for the fender since I don't like the hign fender look.
IMG_1743.jpg IMG_1750.jpg
I also notice that the frame connections were a little corroded so I will have to add that to the list of things to do.
More pics:
IMG_1745.jpg IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1749.jpg

Just curious, is your caliper bracket from Custom Vmax Services or COO?

One thing I would check is that the rotor is sitting in the caliper properly. If you look at the R1 caliper, there is a very narrow notch that the rotor must ride in. If everything is not perfectly lined up, you may not be getting the rotor nested in the notch. Once you get the caliper on the rotor and past the pads, you need to wiggle it around a little bit to get the rotor seated in the notch properly. The notch is visible on either side of the pads, near the main body of the caliper. There is not much room for error.

As far as the brake stay bar, I made my own out of aluminum round bar. I drilled and tapped the bar and installed spherical rod ends on both ends of the brake bar to be able to make the bar angled instead of using spacers.
The bracket is one that Sean had, I believe it is a Custom Vmax Services part. Is that what you have?
As noted in my previous post mine is made for a 282mm rotor, which I can make work for now. I may get a another rotor, a 282mm non floating type that will match my front rotors and show off a little more of my Carr's.:biglaugh: The bracket itself with the way mine attaches is tucked up close to the swing arm and partly hidden. I'll will get better pics once I can get it out of the garage, err...service trailer and can get the new shiney parts cleaned up.:punk: Looking at the caliper I'm thinking I should have ordered a Mity Vac!

I remember Redbone from a few years back. Last Time I seen her was on the Manitoulin Island ride and all I can say is, damn she has come a long way! I mean, it was a good looking bike then, but man, Redbone is gonna be, can I say it, why not, a damn SEXY looking Max.

I know you will get it all sorted out soon and get some riding done before the season ends.

Mike

The bracket is one that Sean had, I believe it is a Custom Vmax Services part. Is that what you have?
As noted in my previous post mine is made for a 282mm rotor, which I can make work for now. I may get a another rotor, a 282mm non floating type that will match my front rotors and show off a little more of my Carr's.:biglaugh: The bracket itself with the way mine attaches is tucked up close to the swing arm and partly hidden. I'll will get better pics once I can get it out of the garage, err...service trailer and can get the new shiney parts cleaned up.:punk: Looking at the caliper I'm thinking I should have ordered a Mity Vac!

Yep, mine is from there. It is made for a 298mm rotor though. I just noticed how the caliper bracket attaches to your swingarm. That is a slick looking setup!

Looking good.

Now if I get my bike fixed before this weekend, which I hope, maybe I ll get to see it in person!

Todd
I hope so too Todd, as it stand right now it's going to be Wed before I can get back to it.

Yep, mine is from there. It is made for a 298mm rotor though. I just noticed how the caliper bracket attaches to your swingarm. That is a slick looking setup!
Thanks Mike, I'll probably get a matching to my front rotor non-floating chinese rotor for the rear. The stocker looks sooo out of place on there now.

Back