Stock Vmax... 12.2@107

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Went to the track, ran 4 times.

Seems that my best two times were 12.2@107/109

Mods/Differences: 180 rear, Cobra slip on exhaust, saddle bags, windshield, and full tank.

What does the hive say?

ETA: Ran 2 600s. I would have about 3 car lengths on them by the end of the 1/8, but by the end of the 1/4, they were flying by me; 107 vs 120 trap. So I take it I've got the Tq to get them off the line, but they have the hp (Tq x 14K rpm) to kill me by the end of the 1/4?

Power to weight ratio is what is getting you on the top end. You need more of it (get rid of the Cobra's).

Sounds about right for your overall trap speed vs quarter mile time. What was your 60' times? Needs to be 1.80's or better (ideally in the high 1.60's).

What were your times at the 1/8 mile point? I've raced 1/8 and 1/4 and the 1/8 is far more rewarding for a Vmax. Just to give you an Idea about changing exhaust. At the time, I had marks exhaust, with no other mods. I'm an average rider, and my best time was 11.24 in the low 120's MPH.

Yep.....Cobras will cost hp. I would also lose the windshield as well. All that is is a big sail that catches wind.

What is your rpm when you leave the line? Dale Walker recommends 4000-4500.

I guarantee you lower your ET's and be more consistent using my technique at the strip. This is how I ride the V-max only, not necessarily other models.
I could go on all day on how to launch a V-max at the strip. I’ll give you a few tips. Before I go into that, here’s a couple of other points.

I’ve run in the tens 10:50 to 10:90 on several V-maxes well 6 or 8 anyway. Two for magazines and others where on customer’s bikes. I weight 170 lbs race ready in leathers and helmet.

Keep in mind I’ve made over 20,000 passes and have set over 50 production records on variety of motorcycles so don’t be hard on yourself for not posting those big numbers. I also ran a drag racing school sponsored by Kawasaki in the late 80’s.

The V-max pee wee Jay Gleason rode was a pre-production bike that was positively massaged. Jay also at the time weighed about 130 lbs suited and could ride equal to myself. So power to weight ratio is a biggy.

I have found that when you can milk everything from a production bike with your riding talent that every ten pounds is worth about 6-8hundredths.

Many of the magazines these days correct the times for sea level. I wish they would post the numbers on the time slip then tell you the temperature, track and altitude where the test took place. This would be much more of a real world test in my opinion. All the ET's I ran were on the scoreboard not corrected. The tracks were Fremont raceway and Sacramento Raceway in California. Both can be very fast or 3 tenth slow depending on tail wind, temperature, day vs. night, etc. There are many factors...

Problem:
Most riders get too eager and turn the throttle too early and slip the clutch when they launch. This causes you to spin up the RPM, burn up clutches and wheelie or get sideways when the clutch does engage or just plain be inconsistent.
Answer:

Do your burnout in second gear to heat the tire. Be sure to let the clutch out quickly with the front brake clamp tight and apply throttle. Start with the tire in the waterbox then roll forward to the edge of the dry pavement before letting the clutch out. WARNING: never get the front tire wet. Always back in to the bleach box.
Get in your launch riding position early not while staging. Feet back a little near rear foot peg area on the ground, arms slightly bent leaning upper body forward. Your body should be in a straight line from a side view with a lean forward look.

Clutch and throttle control: I call my V-max technique the loft out method

Pre-load the clutch just so the bike does not creep. Do not hold into the grip. By doing so, you have no clutch control whatsoever.- try to launch from 4000 to 6000 RPM. Start at 4000. Keep the throttle very steady. Do not blip the throttle or let the throttle creep up!. This is crucial. When the light comes down start to slide the clutch out aggressively. This doesn't mean dump it or slip it. Do not turn the throttle yet! When you hear the exhaust, note pulling down its time to let the clutch engage fully and at that exact moment begin to roll into the throttle and drive through the bog. If you feel it bogged too much then try 500 RPM higher on the launch until you find that sweet spot for your weight and track surface. Remember clutch first then throttle. This is the key to control the front wheel lift, wheel spin and consistent launches without clutch damage.
Be sure to let your Max cool down between runs and do not let it run in the staging lanes waiting to make your pass.

If the fan kicks on or you let the temp gauge climb too high, you take the clutch out in a heartbeat.

I know a lot of you are probably sold on some type of synthetic motor oil. Well good luck at the strip. The clutch will go away much sooner when running it.

Remember to be smooth when rolling into the throttle not just snap it open. The V-max is pretty torquey and this can ruin a good launch.

The rest of running a low ET at the strip

Be tucked in by the time you get in second gear. I call this getting under the paint. This really helps ET and MPH especially on a non-fairinged bike like the V-max.

A properly tuned V-max with a 4-1 exhaust will pull up to 10,000 RPM. I know your saying: but on the Dyno my peak power is 8,900 RPM so why turn it so hard. Well this is why: the trans has too much of a gear drop from each gear and they shift much better if you buzz the motor up. I've found 10,500 is unnecessary. 10,000 to 10,200 seem to be the sweet spot on the ET and MPH.

Shifting techniques: Power shifting will run the best ET's. But unless you have a very good shifting bike, it can be hard on parts. Also if you miss a shift you could tag a valve. Power shifting is when you hold the throttle full open and fan the clutch just enough to complete the shift. I've ridden a few V-maxes where I could power shift 1-2-3 but had to back off and use the clutch to make it hit 4th. These were new bikes as well.

I highly recommend my Electric Powershifter 2 with reversed shift linkage. This allows a one up four down pattern that's much more positive. My Powershifter allows full throttle clutch-less shifts by interrupting the ignition momentarily. This allows for a fast smooth gear change. The clutch stays fully engaged saving clutch plates and the basket from getting hammered during shifts.

Stay tucked tight through the last MPH light then slowly roll out of the throttle and sit up. Once you've reached about 110 MPH apply gentle even braking.

If you ever hit something on the track or develop a speed wobble never clamp on the brakes. The best thing to do is pull in the clutch and keep a tight grip on the bars until you come out of it.

Go change your underwear.

I hope you consider this a good contribution to the list (Vmaxtech). I have a drag racing riding instructional video and booklet set if anyone is interested.

Yours Truly,

Dale Walker
Holeshot Performannce

Until I got to the end, I thought that was you describing your drag racing!:biglaugh:

Sounds like some good advice, eh? I'm not a track guy as a participant, though I've been to US 131 Martin Raceway in MI, and the West Palm Beach FL dragstrip, which is where my shop friends run frequently. There was a 1/8 mi. track in Dade County FL (Miami-Dade Co, it's called now) where they had set records in various classes. I think they were right about 4 seconds flat, not sure if the broke into the 3's. That track has now closed.

I bet 'flaholic' went to WPBeach. They just had a meet there, my friends went to, but I didn't attend. Here are some pics of bikes my machinist did, 'old-school.' Bikes built by the shop another friend owns. They work together. Some newer shots in there too. A shot of their transporter trailer, two-level. And, a shot of a typical piston 'upgrade' my machinist does. A stock piston on-top, and an MTC big-block replacement, w/its 'slug' in-place.

Attachments

• Dania AMCA 2013 062.jpg
    Dania AMCA 2013 062.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Dania AMCA 2013 063.jpg
    Dania AMCA 2013 063.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 37
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 639.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 639.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 858.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 858.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 39
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 859.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 859.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 37
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 1041.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 1041.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 39
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 864.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 864.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 35
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 978.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 978.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 37
Went to the track, ran 4 times.

Seems that my best two times were 12.2@107/109

Mods/Differences: 180 rear, Cobra slip on exhaust, saddle bags, windshield, and full tank.

What does the hive say?

ETA: Ran 2 600s. I would have about 3 car lengths on them by the end of the 1/8, but by the end of the 1/4, they were flying by me; 107 vs 120 trap. So I take it I've got the Tq to get them off the line, but they have the hp (Tq x 14K rpm) to kill me by the end of the 1/4?
Sounds like great time.

Sounds to me like Falaholic was out just to see what his vmax cruiser can do, not looking to get his ET down as low as he can.

For rolling down the track with the worst performing exhaust you can find, a windshield, saddlebags, and a full tank, I'd say he did pretty damn good. :punk:

Can't complain about a 30 year old design, dressed for long distance, being able to put up a fight against the kids on their 600cc Tupperware bikes in the 1/4 mile.

Sounds to me like Falaholic was out just to see what his vmax cruiser can do, not looking to get his ET down as low as he can.

For rolling down the track with the worst performing exhaust you can find, a windshield, saddlebags, and a full tank, I'd say he did pretty damn good. :punk:

Can't complain about a 30 year old design, dressed for long distance, being able to put up a fight against the kids on their 600cc Tupperware bikes in the 1/4 mile.
Well I hope it didn't sound to you like I was being harsh on him. I was offering advice.
Sounds to me like he had fun.

Yes, having a safe time, & being able to come back another day & go faster/quicker! Just changing the exhaust should make significantly more power.

UcLJuzo.jpg

Chgmpu3.jpg

73 is me.
753 = newer 600 Ninja.
58 = 2003 600 Ninja.

One item I forgot to mention, highway pegs/controls.

As far as weight, 200lbs naked. Dressed in Kevlar pants thick leather riding jacket, full face helmet, riding boots, and leather gloves.

I never did a burn out, seemed to have enough traction. I would let out the clutch quickly enough to get a nice jump, but anymore and the front would come up.

Launch right around 4K. Shifting at 9K. Would never power shift as the bike would easily raise up between 1-2 shift.

Launch position; already in 1st, left foot ready for upshift, right foot holding me up straight. Already leaning forward at this point.

The 12.4 ET, found out the hard way. Vmax does not like to be launched when the bike is fully warmed up. So all subsequent passes were done were my temps at 4 o'clock.

I would really like to go with an aftermarket exhaust, aside from my Cobras, but sound is the issue. I have a tendency to wake up very early and go for a ride, before there is light out. So I'll have to contemplate some more; removing and tuning before and after track days.

I'll be heading back, hopefully shortly, with no saddle bags or windshield, and less fuel.

Concerning the cobra's. I just added them to my 94 because I was in the mood for a change and the price was right. I love the look and sound but I noticed that v-boost does not feel like it use too. Given my riding style I don't think I'll miss it too much. When the time comes for a change again I'll go for Supertrapp slip-on. I can't justify spending $ for a full exhaust yet.

Doug

Yea, shave the 60's to low 1.80's and you'll have the 11 second pass.

Back