Summa Grilin' recipes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
Its time. I have a less expensive grill (charcoal of course) and I find it difficult to do low and slow meats like ribs. Burgers , kabbobs and hotdogs work ok. Its a cylinder on its side style. Im thinking about fabbing a smoker box piggyback off the side for indirect heat and smoking, maybe pipe it in with stovepipe. I have seen something like this on my neighbor's much more elaborate grill. It has an LP setup for lighting only so I found an LP grill I can rob for parts.

Im looking for input on this and interested in anyones simple but awesone grilling recipes, what sort of grill config you use to make the magic happen.

Ive been using a burger recipe where two thin patties of 80% are pressed together with a thin layer of cream cheese between, edges pinched together. Amazing on standard charcoal grill. I might season the meat with a pinch of cracked pepper and or a splash of wirschtershire (sp) sauce. I think good meat should mostly stand on its own but maybe I need to adjust that attitude some. Interested in anything anyone wants to add regarding grills or recipes.

Its time. I have a less expensive grill (charcoal of course) and I find it difficult to do low and slow meats like ribs. Burgers , kabbobs and hotdogs work ok. Its a cylinder on its side style. Im thinking about fabbing a smoker box piggyback off the side for indirect heat and smoking, maybe pipe it in with stovepipe. I have seen something like this on my neighbor's much more elaborate grill. It has an LP setup for lighting only so I found an LP grill I can rob for parts.

Im looking for input on this and interested in anyones simple but awesone grilling recipes, what sort of grill config you use to make the magic happen.

Ive been using a burger recipe where two thin patties of 80% are pressed together with a thin layer of cream cheese between, edges pinched together. Amazing on standard charcoal grill. I might season the meat with a pinch of cracked pepper and or a splash of wirschtershire (sp) sauce. I think good meat should mostly stand on its own but maybe I need to adjust that attitude some. Interested in anything anyone wants to add regarding grills or recipes.
Move to TEXAS

Guy, you don't gotta move to Texas lol to have good food. I smoke food at camp all the time and I'm telling ya, nothing beats smoked food. It's Amazing. The burger recipe you just mentioned, I'm doing that this weekend to try that. Never heard and it sounds awesome. As far as seasoning, there is no limit and no wrong way, let your taste buds tell ya the do n don't with seasoning. Be open to try anything once. You can also brine meats as well, chicken and pork have the best taste from this. I have a grill but at camp, it's used little compared to the smoker. Hell, I've just made last weekend 4lbs of jerky, came out awesome, and didn't last long. Mixed spices work well, rubs, stuff like that are good as well. You can also inject fluids as well. I use apple juice sometimes with fine chopped garlic and some other spice n herbs.

This is the smoker I bought for this season. Hoping it will be my last

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage1465008938.974614.jpg

Thats awesome! I definitely want to experiment with smoking. I may end up with a device like that if my little project fails to impress.

I'm an hour from WY, not much further to MT. This is premium motorcycling territory. . Imma stay right here in motorcycle heaven. I just hope our bros from TX chime in and share some goodness and Blax gets a demerit for suggesting I leave a state with 9 ppl/sq mi and go to one with 100 ppl/sq mi.:rofl_200:

Thats what I was going to do but about half that size would be ideal, and a smoker box. Maybe more practical just to go get a decent smoker as shown above. Ill snap a pic of mine when im home next week after work, and hopefully one of my neighbors grill with the piggyback smoker box.

I really wanna do my low-n-slow ribs w/o having to use the oven, besides whats better than smoked meats?

I may have misinterpreted Blax but I think hes going to texas to gather recipes and gonna bring them here for the Black Hills/Badlands Vmax Rally. :punk:

Thats what I was going to do but about half that size would be ideal, and a smoker box. Maybe more practical just to go get a decent smoker as shown above. Ill snap a pic of mine when im home next week after work, and hopefully one of my neighbors grill with the piggyback smoker box.

I really wanna do my low-n-slow ribs w/o having to use the oven, besides whats better than smoked meats?

I may have misinterpreted Blax but I think hes going to texas to gather recipes and gonna bring them here for the Black Hills/Badlands Vmax Rally. :punk:
Now that would be a looooooong trip. Maybe I'll just fly out there.

If im buying sauce Stubbs is all I buy,

I made up the rally bit but I figured at some point I would see if there would be any interest. It would have to be spring, June is pushing it for the best riding. Getting stuck behind HDs is frustrating beyond words. If any one of you wanna ride the Black Hills im happy to host and if enough interest exists to make a thing out of it Im good with that to. Such things are why grilling exists. Fall is a good time to. Sept can be amazing but its best to plan a trip here outside tourist season and definitely not during the Sturgis rally.

I dont stop grilling until I see snow flakes. Anyone in the area should hit me up for sure. It sort of sucks being isolated from the rest of the group but the roads here are afuckingmazing.

If im buying sauce Stubbs is all I buy,

I made up the rally bit but I figured at some point I would see if there would be any interest. It would have to be spring, June is pushing it for the best riding. Getting stuck behind HDs is frustrating beyond words. If any one of you wanna ride the Black Hills im happy to host and if enough interest exists to make a thing out of it Im good with that to. Such things are why grilling exists. Fall is a good time to. Sept can be amazing but its best to plan a trip here outside tourist season and definitely not during the Sturgis rally.

I dont stop grilling until I see snow flakes. Anyone in the area should hit me up for sure. It sort of sucks being isolated from the rest of the group but the roads here are afuckingmazing.
Cooked my favorite Porterhouse steak yesterday (beer in hand-Shiner Bock/from Texas) they don't sell Lone Star anywhere but Texas dammit-
In 115 degree heat yesterday-113 today.
What hell is a snow flake?:ummm:

Cooked my favorite Porterhouse steak yesterday (beer in hand-Shiner Bock/from Texas) they don't sell Lone Star anywhere but Texas dammit-
In 115 degree heat yesterday-113 today.
What hell is a snow flake?:ummm:

I cant make steak to my own satisfaction, I really need to improve my game there. I hope you had a breeze, We rarely break 100 but it happens.

A snowflake is a white girl you cant rely on or the result of precipitation in cool ambient temps. :eusa_dance:

Lol, I grill in the snow. Pisses the neighbors off pretty good. I guess ya can't blame them, Sumer teasers in winter....the smell of marinade n grillin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant make steak to my own satisfaction, I really need to improve my game there. I hope you had a breeze, We rarely break 100 but it happens.

A snowflake is a white girl you cant rely on or the result of precipitation in cool ambient temps. :eusa_dance:

A result in participation of ambiance? What the hell? Oh I get it :bang head:
One side of the grill hot one side medium low. If it's coals move them to one side and now you know which side is hot and which is cold. The longer and not as good part of the Porterhouse steak(tenderloin) will lay over the hot coals or hotter fire if it is gas. The shorter part of the steak will lay over the medium low as it will cook faster. Turn the steak 1/4 turn after 3 mins and of course leave the larger part over the high heat. 3 mins later flip it and MAKE SURE you have the longer part over the high heat again-leave it alone for 6 mins. Did i mention to hit it with coarse sea salt and fresh ground thick black pepper and a little white pepper after it has set out for 1 hour. I use Stubbs mesquite or hickory liquid smoke (a few drops on each side) then a brush of evoo. Cover for 5 mins to rejuice and add a pad of butter.No sauce needed. T-bones are the same way-I used to eat those for breakfast in Texas.:clapping:

Wifey has made a few convincing steaks on the iron skillet but I think I'll make a point of trying this on the grill. I always thought steak was supposed to be cooked with indirect heat and never actually touch the flame.

This is a cool site. Some interesting and perhaps unconventional methods, but great explanations...and several cooking myths busted.

http://amazingribs.com/meathead/meet_meathead.html

I've definitely improved my grilling (and thought process on cooking in general).
Take some time and look around. .you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and my latest favorite sauce is "Sticky fingers - Carolina sweet "

T $

This is a cool site. Some interesting and perhaps unconventional methods, but great explanations...and several cooking myths busted.

http://amazingribs.com/meathead/meet_meathead.html

I've definitely improved my grilling (and thought process on cooking in general).
Take some time and look around. .you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and my latest favorite sauce is "Sticky fingers - Carolina sweet "

T $
That is some good info for instruments and techniques.
No disrespect on sweet sauces different strokes for all-My preference is smoked.

Well I guess I can chime in here even though this thread is old. My wife and I do a fair amount of cooking. A lot of grilling and smoking. So much so that we have become hoarders I guess, we have 11 different cookers ranging from smokers to grills to a pizza oven, lol. It's a sickness. I am willing to share some tips with anyone that is interested. I figure that I am going to have more than a few VMax questions so this is a way that I can help in return.

Here's a sample of some 'cue :th_eat_arrow:

sr08.jpg

Well I guess I can chime in here even though this thread is old. My wife and I do a fair amount of cooking. A lot of grilling and smoking. So much so that we have become hoarders I guess, we have 11 different cookers ranging from smokers to grills to a pizza oven, lol. It's a sickness. I am willing to share some tips with anyone that is interested. I figure that I am going to have more than a few VMax questions so this is a way that I can help in return.

Here's a sample of some 'cue :th_eat_arrow:

sr08.jpg

I think this is a fair trade off:eusa_dance:

Back