Synchronizing tool for carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi fella's,

I am in the market for a synchronizing tool, I have been looking online and there seem to be a few different types ranging from $4 home made to $200+ can I please get some feed back from those who synchronize their own carbs.

Cheers lads
icon12.gif

I was thinking of building one, but the homemade ones I seen were all pretty big and bulky with quite the assortment of hoses hanging from it. I figured it would be a hassle keeping it put up and out of the way, so I ended up going with the Morgan Carbtune pro. It came with the case, and was $100 but my carbs were synched in about 15 minutes (was my first time synching carbs too), and the tool nicely put away.

Another thing I like about the Morgan is that there are numbers on the tubes. I know that a "number" probably doesn't mean much, but I'm particular about that sort of thing, and I can dial my carbs in pretty close to each other - within 2 bars across all 4 carbs when I finished.

When I first hooked the Carbtune up each tube was very erratic until I put the restrictors in, and then they were a lot smoother.

+1 on the Morgan, Kosrider has one and I've seen it used on numerous occasions, 2fear just ordered one for himself, and I will most likely pick one up for myself in the near future..............................Tom.

+1 on the Morgan, Kosrider has one and I've seen it used on numerous occasions, 2fear just ordered one for himself, and I will most likely pick one up for myself in the near future..............................Tom.
No need to spend your money Tom, you know you can use mine any time.

cool thanks for the replies fella's, did ya notice big difference once you synched the carbs?
cheers
icon7.gif

cool thanks for the replies fella's, did ya notice big difference once you synched the carbs?
cheers
icon7.gif
It will depend on how far out of sync they are to start, if they are out of sync bad, you will notice the change . I can feel mine is out of sync right now because we pulled the carbs and did some float adjusting and cleaning. I had KosRider sync mine in the past with his carb tune and it helped for sure, that's why I ordered one for myself.

I'm sure there are more carb sync tools on the market, someone will chime in with more options for you also.

Miles here, chiming in. I just made this puppy, cost about $45.00. Works like a charm, did a sync in about 10 minutes

Attachments

• P1010677.jpg
    P1010677.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 57
Typically after a fresh sync the idle is noticeably smoother. Not that it idled poorly before, but it sounds/feels a bit more even afterward.

The Morgan is a nice unit, one of the techs at work has one, I think it's just un-necessary and can be done almost as easily for free or nearly so.

While if you want to go by-the-book you'd need a tool with numbers on it, all that really matters is the relation between one another. The vinyl tubes filled with colored water works fine, just kink the hose with a c-clamp as the restrictor, adjust how tightly it's kinked until the fluid stays fairly steady. Adjust until all four are the same relative to each other.

That looks good Miles, are those gauges hard to find? where did you get them?
Cheers
icon7.gif

I bought them at Princess Auto, which is a Canadian-based retailer. $8.00 each. They were equipped with a 1/4" male thread on the inlet, so I also had to purchase 1/4" female x 1/4" hose barb adapters as well., which was the smallest hose size available. The tubing size used is 5/32" I.D., which provides a nice snug fit over the bike nipples. This is available in the windshield washer tubing section of auto stores. There is still enough stretch in this hose to get it over the 1/4" hose barbs, with a little effort and lubricant. I bought enough tubing to provide about 2 1/2" feet for each gauge.
However, I'm sure that if you searched the internet, you would find even less expensive gauges than this, perhaps some that are standard-equipped with hose barb inlets.
I've gathered from reading posts about other manometers is that all types require restrictors in the tubing, to prevent or limit fluctuation of the needles/rods, or liquids being used. So it was with my setup. What worked for me were some items I had in the workshop - #10 x 32 tpi x 2" long brass machine screws (fully threaded). I just cut off the head, filed off the rough edge, and stuck one in each inlet end (bike) of each hose. This size of screw is perfect for the 5/32" hose . The air is restricted because it is forced to travel along the threads of the screw.
I bench-tested each gauge/hose for restriction, before installing it on the wood manifold, simply by orally stimulating (sucking),:worthy: on each hose, then releasing the vacuum and noting how long it took before the needle returned to the stop. With the restrictor screws in place, this time was 3 or 4 seconds. In actual use on the bike, there was no fluctuation of the needles at all.
Cheers, mate!

Motion Pro makes a good one for around $40. It uses mercury in the actual gauge so be careful if you get one.

GP

Morgan is the way to go IMO. Clean, reliable, easy and fast. Sync will make a huge difference in the way it runs and performs.

I recently built up a set of four gauges a lot like Miles but went to a pet shop n got four tiny restricter valves used to regulate fish tank aeraters about 50 cents each found that these give a good level of control and stop the gauges fluttering very well.

I would buy another Morgan carb tune if I lost or damaged mine. It's easy and accurate to use. Great work by Miles though. The screws are a great idea for restrictors. I would bet either works just as well. But, without restrictors on gages you won't be able to settle down the needles. I borrowed an expensive set of gauges once without restrictors-useless. I don't think Mercury sticks are available anymore new. They do work though.

Back