Vmax enthusiast - need your help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajiv

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in UK and absolutely love the way Vmax looks and performs. However I just found out that they have stopped selling it in UK due to Euro 4 restrictions in 2020.

Now, if i somehow import it from US or Canada, would I be allowed to import it as we have this euro 4 restrictions here. I would love to import it from Japan directly where its manufactured if its going to be cheaper for me but not sure where to look, please help.

Also, what happens to the bikers who already have the bike but now the restrictions have come up.

Lastly, i love the latest black 2020 model, do you know when was this model initially launched? was it from 2015 or 2016? I prefer the new style of how it looks compared to the old one, love the all blacked one.

i am new to this bike so perhaps some of you kind gents and ladies perhaps could help me understand the issues I have mentioned above.

Many thanks

Hi all,

I am in UK and absolutely love the way Vmax looks and performs. However I just found out that they have stopped selling it in UK due to Euro 4 restrictions in 2020.

Now, if i somehow import it from US or Canada, would I be allowed to import it as we have this euro 4 restrictions here. I would love to import it from Japan directly where its manufactured if its going to be cheaper for me but not sure where to look, please help.

Also, what happens to the bikers who already have the bike but now the restrictions have come up.

Lastly, i love the latest black 2020 model, do you know when was this model initially launched? was it from 2015 or 2016? I prefer the new style of how it looks compared to the old one, love the all blacked one.

i am new to this bike so perhaps some of you kind gents and ladies perhaps could help me understand the issues I have mentioned above.

Many thanks
You need to talk to @MaxMidnight. He's in the UK and in all likelihood would know. Since I've tagged him here maybe he'll weigh in and help you out. Most of us are in the United States, so we're really of no use to you when it comes to UK law.

The gen 2 is not common but one or 2 pop up for sale on ebay and auto trader (none for sale on either at present).

So the fact that they do, it must be possible to register them.

You may need to search dvla website but my guess the emissions are not retrospective since my Gen 1 is a 1998 Canadian model imported from Japan and I doubt that it passes the most up to date emissions.

Contact DK motorcycles as they import bikes (from Japan) and another company based in Worcester who do same but from US - I'll try to get the contact details) regarding what you are looking for and registration queries.

Also ask the question to the VJMC - they have a couple of people help out with registration of imports, albeit with much older models.

BTW you'd be looking at paying at least £12+k for gen 2.

Have a look on the parking motorcycles - Search for used motorcycles throughout Europe.. - there are a few in France /Belgium.

Also 1 on https://www.motorcyclefinder.co.uk - not sure how up to date the advert is.

Spring is on its way so expect the number of advert to increase.

Screenshot_20220313-013413.png

You need to talk to @MaxMidnight. He's in the UK and in all likelihood would know. Since I've tagged him here maybe he'll weigh in and help you out. Most of us are in the United States, so we're really of no use to you when it comes to UK law.

hiya

thanks so much for getting back to me, really appreciate it. Would love to speak to MaxMidnight to get some information on this. Looking forward to that.

@MaxMidnight : please get in touch if that is alright. Thanks 🙏

The gen 2 is not common but one or 2 pop up for sale on ebay and auto trader (none for sale on either at present).

So the fact that they do, it must be possible to register them.

You may need to search dvla website but my guess the emissions are not retrospective since my Gen 1 is a 1998 Canadian model imported from Japan and I doubt that it passes the most up to date emissions.

Contact DK motorcycles as they import bikes (from Japan) and another company based in Worcester who do same but from US - I'll try to get the contact details) regarding what you are looking for and registration queries.

Also ask the question to the VJMC - they have a couple of people help out with registration of imports, albeit with much older models.

BTW you'd be looking at paying at least £12+k for gen 2.

Have a look on the parking motorcycles - Search for used motorcycles throughout Europe.. - there are a few in France /Belgium.

Also 1 on https://www.motorcyclefinder.co.uk - not sure how up to date the advert is.

Spring is on its way so expect the number of advert to increase.

View attachment 83007
Thank you so much. Really appreciate yout input.
The bike i see in the picture is gen2, right?

how many upgrades this bike had please?

i like this style of look which shows in this advert for 2015 model.
When did this look came out? My preference would be all black but not sure when that came out.

you might also try

autoscout24.de
or
mobile.de

which offer listings throughout Europe. Once the bike has a Certificate of Conformity you should be able to register it in UK, probably doing some local adjustments.

tbh I am considering myself to purchase a Gen2 from US and go through a registration in EC, which shoudl be - at least theoretically - possible. 2nd bikes (especially Gen2) are a lot cheaper over the pond.

you might also try

autoscout24.de
or
mobile.de

which offer listings throughout Europe. Once the bike has a Certificate of Conformity you should be able to register it in UK, probably doing some local adjustments.

tbh I am considering myself to purchase a Gen2 from US and go through a registration in EC, which shoudl be - at least theoretically - possible. 2nd bikes (especially Gen2) are a lot cheaper over the pond.
Where do you live buddy? Are you in UK too?
I have imported Harley-Davidson in the past and letter of conformity was sent by them.

how would i be able to get letter of conformity from yamaha? Do i have to call Japan office? Hope not coz i cant speak the local language.
Spoken to a friend of mine in Florida, he can send me the bike from there when we find a good deal. Lets see how this goes

2009 first year of the generation 2
Thanks a lot, this helps, now i can start looking got bikes from 2009 onwards.

would you recommend any particular year range as i am sure yamaha has been continuously making some good changes as time progressed.

Here is Canada, 2018 was the first year of the all black Gen 2. There are still a couple available new at dealerships here, but I have no idea what would be involved with importing one to the UK. I tried to buy one there to bring to Canada, but our government would not allow it. Check your UK specs for the 2015 European model that was available over there in full carbon fibre. We couldn't get it here, but it was beautiful and had a similar appearance to your all black one with more exotic materials. You also have one of the best strictly Vmax accessory providers I've seen over there in England. They are called Exactrep, and they have never ending goodies if your pockets are deep enough! If you find you can, and in fact want to import one from Canada, I also happen to know where there is an all black 2020 bike here that a fella purchased and has completed some very nice modification to, but has yet to ride. It is customized with 1km on the clock. He has other toys he has recently purchased that he wants to invest in and is selling the Vmax without ever having ridden it. Contact me for details if you are interested. Good luck!

Where do you live buddy? Are you in UK too?

No, I am living in Austria, thats a tiny country close to Germany and Italy.
Here in our area (also in Germany) you have a good chance to get CoC from Yamaha (they have offices in most countries) or one of their affiliates. Other choice is you will get paperworks done by one of the engineers who are responsible for homoligations, which is the same way I have to go to get my rims homoligated.

2 issues you have to pay attention (for sure):
a) you wont have a chance to get homoligation for a NEW bike not meeting actual Euro regulations (environment) but for a second hand one the chances are high
b) you will need to execute some minor adjustments for the lighting of the bike, especially for the indicators.

Since I will meet my homoligation engineer (600US$) beginnign of april, I will hit him with some questions in this regard.

No, I am living in Austria, thats a tiny country close to Germany and Italy.
Here in our area (also in Germany) you have a good chance to get CoC from Yamaha (they have offices in most countries) or one of their affiliates. Other choice is you will get paperworks done by one of the engineers who are responsible for homoligations, which is the same way I have to go to get my rims homoligated.

2 issues you have to pay attention (for sure):
a) you wont have a chance to get homoligation for a NEW bike not meeting actual Euro regulations (environment) but for a second hand one the chances are high
b) you will need to execute some minor adjustments for the lighting of the bike, especially for the indicators.

Since I will meet my homoligation engineer (600US$) beginnign of april, I will hit him with some questions in this regard.
Sounds awesome, lets keep in touch. Would u like us to go on whatsapp as it would be nice to knowledge share . We both are trying to buy bikes from US. If we buy two, perhaps get a good deal.

what do you think?
Also, i know Austria well, biggest far of Arnold, he comes from there so Austria is always an appreciated region for me.

Sounds awesome, lets keep in touch. Would u like us to go on whatsapp as it would be nice to knowledge share.
Discuss away but bear in mind the law in Austria does not apply to the UK, and vice versa.

From the time when I owned a kit car, in some European countries it was virtually impossible to register a self-built car so what the people did was register it in UK and import it to their country of residence.

IMO you are better off asking the contacts I listed as they are based in the UK and I know have dealt with imported motorcycles

Discuss away but bear in mind the law in Austria does not apply to the UK, and vice versa.

Up until the UK left the EU (Jan 2000) the Type Approval regulations were harmonised (Regulation (EU) 168/2013 refers) and as far as I can establish
has retained the direct principal EU Regulation.
The only change that would need to be made to the motorcycle is changing the speedo to read m.p.h. and modify the headlamp so it dips correctly for UK use.

Sounds awesome, lets keep in touch. Would u like us to go on whatsapp as it would be nice to knowledge share . We both are trying to buy bikes from US. If we buy two, perhaps get a good deal.

Welcome anytime! It would be like a real wonder if we find 2 of them same time, dont you think? What I will do (maybe its also for you) when this homoligation engineer is doing my rims - I will ask him about details to get an US/Canadian VMax over here and registered legally.

As @02GF74 wrote, I can only ask for EC, not for UK. But I am quite sure, these differences might be minor. According to @MaxMidnight if its an US VMax, the speedo would be mph anyways. However Im totally relaxed and ready to mingle for a "group buy" :D

what do you think?
Also, i know Austria well, biggest far of Arnold, he comes from there so Austria is always an appreciated region for me.
Welcome anytime! It would be like a real wonder if we find 2 of them same time, dont you think? What I will do (maybe its also for you) when this homoligation engineer is doing my rims - I will ask him about details to get an US/Canadian VMax over here and registered legally.

As @02GF74 wrote, I can only ask for EC, not for UK. But I am quite sure, these differences might be minor. According to @MaxMidnight if its an US VMax, the speedo would be mph anyways. However Im totally relaxed and ready to mingle for a "group buy" :D
thanks so much for the info :)) appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back