VMax Journey Continues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll let you know about the voltage soon. I'm going to swap back the original harness after a good once (or twice) over. We have played with the rectifier/regulator and swapped out a few different ones (we have basically done that with the whole bike) I'm tempted to take my drag bike harness and throw it on Abe's bike. It has almost all the electrical gadgets and gizmoes removed. It basically has the ignition and the charging system.... not much more.

I'm about ready to head to bed, but I'm hoping it rains all day tomorrow so I can spend some real time on this bike.

Jeff

i'll let you know about the voltage soon. I'm going to swap back the original harness after a good once (or twice) over. We have played with the rectifier/regulator and swapped out a few different ones (we have basically done that with the whole bike) i'm tempted to take my drag bike harness and throw it on abe's bike. It has almost all the electrical gadgets and gizmoes removed. It basically has the ignition and the charging system.... Not much more.

I'm about ready to head to bed, but i'm hoping it rains all day tomorrow so i can spend some real time on this bike.

Jeff

pm sent!

I took the stator cover off and found a few items that may be causing our little problem. Two of the windings were charred, possibly causing a short I have yet to do any checks to find out for sure, but it is looking very promising. Here are some pics. Don't know if anyone else has seen this before or not.

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 26
If you end up replacing that stator don't forget to seal the wires where the pass through the rubber grommet!

Been there, done that, have the oil leak to prove it...:bang head:

I took the stator cover off and found a few items that may be causing our little problem. Two of the windings were charred, possibly causing a short I have yet to do any checks to find out for sure, but it is looking very promising. Here are some pics. Don't know if anyone else has seen this before or not.

Jeff, looks fried. Measure resistance between each of the white wires and also between each white wire and engine ground. When put back together make sure stator grommet is in good shape and the connection to R/R is insulated and clean. When that gets dirty the stator overheats. It's best to remove the connector and solder the wire connections.

Jeff,

You are the man! I hope this is the final fix! Thats about the only part left on my bike that has not been replaced!

Thanks Again!

Abe

Jeff, looks fried. Measure resistance between each of the white wires and also between each white wire and engine ground. When put back together make sure stator grommet is in good shape and the connection to R/R is insulated and clean. When that gets dirty the stator overheats. It's best to remove the connector and solder the wire connections.

Yep... it's official... the stator is bad! I was only able to get one set of wires to give me any resistance (and it was within the specs) but every other check I did gave me an open loop so I think we have found our problem... I hope!

Yep... it's official... the stator is bad! I was only able to get one set of wires to give me any resistance (and it was within the specs) but every other check I did gave me an open loop so I think we have found our problem... I hope!

I hope so too Jeff. This bike is like a hot high maintenance women...

She looks good, bucks around when she feels like it and costs me THOUSANDS!

But I suppose in the end it's all worth it for that nice slice of warm apple pie...:biglaugh::eusa_dance:

I've got a few spares but Abe might be able to get one from ebay cheaper. Let me know if you want me to ship one out.

Sean

Whatever you do, get stock. The Electrex stator leaked oil because the grommet was too small.

Looks like a good one to buy to me. Even still has the pickup assemblies in there too which aren't cheap to buy.

Sean

Abe, Sean has sent the stator out and I should be getting it soon (hopefully tomorrow). As soon as I get off of work, I'll be working on your bike! Sorry I haven't been in contact a whole lot, work has been busy and I really didn't have a whole lot to update you with. I'm still not 100% sure I can get everything buttoned up by Saturday, but I should be able to have the more complicated stuff out of the way, and I can leave some of the cosmetic things for you to finish.

Later,

Jeff

It shipped Jeff but not when I thought. It will get there Thursday. This doesn't give you a lot of time. Sorry for not getting it out sooner.

Sean

I'll let you know about the voltage soon. I'm going to swap back the original harness after a good once (or twice) over. We have played with the rectifier/regulator and swapped out a few different ones (we have basically done that with the whole bike) I'm tempted to take my drag bike harness and throw it on Abe's bike. It has almost all the electrical gadgets and gizmoes removed. It basically has the ignition and the charging system.... not much more.

I'm about ready to head to bed, but I'm hoping it rains all day tomorrow so I can spend some real time on this bike.

Jeff

a dragbike with a radiator and charging system is this a dual purpose street/ strip bike?

Back