VMax Journey Continues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I do...but the Illinois ones are about twice as bad! Ever hear of Obama, Blagobitch or Ryan? Our criminals are not only low class like Indy's.:rofl_200:

You have an EXCELLENT point. You might wanna add Burris to the mix as well.

Look's like i'll be heading over to jeff's to pick the bike up this sunday!

Jeff if you get a second post a few pics of those handlebars. You are the man buddy!

Look forward to this weekend!:eusa_dance::punk:

BTW jeff I was thinking about where to mount the bottle and I wonder if we can somehow use the rear shock upper bolt to sneak in a bracket on the side without the exhaust? Does that make sense?:ummm:

O.k. I'm going to post some pics first, then I'll start a long detailed list of things I did today on Abe's bike.

Attachments

• Pictures from camera 006.jpg
    Pictures from camera 006.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Pictures from camera 007.jpg
    Pictures from camera 007.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Pictures from camera 005.jpg
    Pictures from camera 005.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Pictures from camera 009.jpg
    Pictures from camera 009.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 25
Jeff if you get a second post a few pics of those handlebars.

How do you guys like those straight bars vs standard ones for touring?? No Biggie?? Or a pretty good stretch?? I'l have to sit on one sometime and check out first hand.

All right Abe, first off, I hope things are going better than what was going on earlier.... what a mess. For some good news, I think we found the problem... The V-Boost Servo Motor! To give people a little background to what we have done so far here it is.
New Steering Stem Bearings
New Fork Seals, oil, dust covers
R1 Rotors
Hayabusa 6 piston calipers
Valve job
Painted the motor
Added a nitrous kit (40HP shot)
Removed stock coils and put on the COP's
Replaced the Neutral switch wire
New Exhaust and gaskets
Morley's Muscle Carb Kit
Put my 02 carbs on it
and a few other odds and ends

Anyway, today was really the first time I could actually ride it without freezing and could get a good feel for the bike. It started to miss (similar to hitting a rev limiter) under hard acceleration. Under a slow throttle, it would climb in RPM's without too much problem. Between Abe, Morley and myself, we have pretty much limited it to the V-boost controller or the fuel pump. I put on my controller from my 02 and still had the same missing problem. I played with the reserve switch and that didn't make a difference. :bang head::ummm: I called Abe and I thought I remembered him saying he already tried running it with the V-Boost unplugged, but I thought, what the hell... I'll give it a shot. Walla, no more missing. I put Abe's original controller back on, and left the servo/motor unplugged and I'll give it a ride tomorrow. I did notice that with my controller on there, I could still get the interment servo motor problem I was getting before. I'm guessing we have a short somewhere in that system. I really hope this has been the problem all along, but it just seems too simple. Kind of one of those "too good to be true" things.

I have the nitrous all hooked up and have tested all the components, but haven't tested it as a whole unit on the bike. I'm going to let Abe try it out first. We have some nice long straight roads where we can have some fun!
One of the pictures in the previous link is showing me purging the lines. I thought it might be pretty cool to have it shoot in front of the headlight.... especially at night! I hope to post more good news tomorrow after a little more testing. I don't have another servo motor to donate to Abe's project, so if anyone does, let Abe or myself know how much you want for it. Right now I just have the butterfly valves open and I don't really notice much difference. The idle is a little lower, but that is about it. There is a little bad news though. I heard some ticking/rattling I haven't heard before. I'm wondering if it is the starter clutch, or maybe it is just an 85 vmax with 31,000 miles. Like I said before, this really was the first day I could ride without a helmet, so maybe it has been there all along. Oh, and one more thing, we need to lube up your speedo... the thing will let out a loud whine every once in a while.

That's it for now.

Jeff

If the vboost is acting flaky for both controllers I'm guessing it's a bad motor or something wrong with one of the connectors.

Happy to see how Abe's bike is coming along. Looks great so far . Obviously, the bike is in good hands.

By they way, is that grass in those pictures? Damn I can't wait to see it here again.

Mike

Jeff, put yours on the bike so abe can get on the road and i'll send another one to you when I send the seat out. I'll call it included with the header deal (all that's left is the gas money from abe after he gets your bill taken care lol), You may have to remind me but I've got a few spares.

Sean

Jeff, put yours on the bike so abe can get on the road and i'll send another one to you when I send the seat out. I'll call it included with the header deal (all that's left is the gas money from abe after he gets your bill taken care lol), You may have to remind me but I've got a few spares.

Sean

Thanks Sean... you just gave me more work to do!!!! Now I have to take Abe's bike back apart as well as mine... :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I was planning on doing that actually, I don't need no stinking v-boost! As much of a headache as Abe has had with this thing, I want him to have a good bike when it is all said and done. I should have just sold him my 02 and switched out the body set and called it a day! I'm getting ready to head out to the garage very soon.

Abe, you still planning on making it down on Sunday? If you wanted to come down Saturday night, we are heading to a friends party, and you can bring some of the grass you were talking about:clapping:

I'll be keeping everyone updated with my progress today.

Jeff

Thanks Sean... you just gave me more work to do!!!! Now I have to take Abe's bike back apart as well as mine... :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I was planning on doing that actually, I don't need no stinking v-boost! As much of a headache as Abe has had with this thing, I want him to have a good bike when it is all said and done. I should have just sold him my 02 and switched out the body set and called it a day! I'm getting ready to head out to the garage very soon.

Abe, you still planning on making it down on Sunday? If you wanted to come down Saturday night, we are heading to a friends party, and you can bring some of the grass you were talking about:clapping:

I'll be keeping everyone updated with my progress today.

Jeff

Jeff,

I can just take the 02 along with mine. It will provide me with a back-up!:eusa_dance:

Still plan on making it out sunday. Having a little trouble finding a truck/van with a hitch but that should be dealt with this morning some time.

More frustrating news!:bang head: I was able to get the miss with the V-boost motor unplugged. I swapped the key switch and cleaned up the connectors (since they were corroded pretty badly) and that seemed to help with the power to the servo motor (it sounded much stronger while it was being cycled with the key). It kicks in around 4k rpm and lasts until 6k and it then seems to pull through it. It misses much worse under WOT, so if you lay off a little it smoothes out and you can slowly get back into it. It sounds so much like a fuel dilevery problem, but these are the carbs off my 02 which ran perfect. I played around with the reserve switch some more, but it didn't make a difference.

I know it sounds like a fuel dilevery problem, but I still think it is electrical. I stopped the bike a few times, shut if off with the key, cycled the v-boost a few times and waited till I got an abnormal sound from the servo motor, and then I fired the bike up. It missed right away as I took off... as soon as I hit 4k rpm, it would miss. Abe has swapped ignition boxes once, but I believe he got the same responce with both ignitions. I may take the diode assembly, the relay units, and basically every other electrical box I can off my 02 and swap it to Abes bike.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh, and one other thing to mention, I did blow a 10amp fuse that runs the horn, temp & tach, and turn signals.... could there be a short in the gauge cluster? The gray wire that runs the tach comes from one of the coil leads so that may be it.... I'm outta here!

I'll be honest, the more I look at this problem and the more I wanna say that you need to take the wiring loom off and either inspect or sound every single wire or replace the whole thing.

I think the airbox mice may have had a chew and maybe found a taste for those lovely wires - maybe one color is sweeter than another..

I actually have a spare main harness for it... I don't want to, but may just replace it.

I just got back from another ride, and before I go chasing any electrical demons, I'm going to swap fuel pumps. This last ride really gave me problems and missed worse than it ever has. It almost died on me a few times and felt like it was running out of fuel. I'll be back in a few!

Good thing I don't have a job... and since I don't have a job... Abe, you don't mind if I start drinking now, while I work on your bike do you? First I'm going to swap the fuel pump, take it for a ride and hopefully have a celebratory beer.... otherwise I'll be forced to have a non-celebratory beer, followed by numerous other non-celebratory beers.

Latest posts

Back